Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... yes, after 86 years of league football we're leaving.
    I think it's time to admit defeat - we are going down. Forget last year's 'great escape', we should have learnt our lesson ... but we haven't.

Oxford, Cambridge, Exeter, Halifax OTF-ers ... we're coming to join you

It's not over just yet!!!

Comment

... any Crewe Alexandra fans better start worrying ... how many league clubs have an X in their name?

Halifax ... gone
      Exeter ... gone
      Oxford ... gone
      Wrexham ... going

Crewe Alexandra ... next?

Comment

but you always said you don't have an x in your name!

note: Wrexhams welsh spelling is Wrecsam

Comment

were you in London yesterday JP?

Comment

rick derris wrote:
            but you always said you don't have an x in your name!

note: Wrexhams welsh spelling is Wrecsam
            I know, but the club refused to listen to my plea during the summer!

No mate, I was doing family things yesterday having spent all the Easter hols in Cardiff and Sarajevo so far!

Comment

I have a feeling they'll still stay up to be honest. I wouldn't despair yet.

Comment

It is the one considerable blight on an amazing year for Welsh sport.
                Wales winning the Egg. Swansea being top of the first division all year, Cardiff consolidating their position in the championship and Geraint Thomas winning a cycling gold medal in the World Championships. I fear that it is all over for Wrexham and I can't see them making a quick come back.

Comment

I was at Barnet v Wrexham.
                  If thats a typical Wrexham performance then they seem determined to shoot themselves in the foot imho.
                  The defence seemed to always want too many touchs when a simple easy clearence to the big centre forward was the obvious ball to play when under pressure. He was doing well, holding it up and trying to bring Proctor and Hall into the game and shouldve been "hit" as many times as possible.
                  Aiston doesnt seem to have become anymore "commited" since he left sunderland ten years ago.
                  Llewelyn (11?, central midfield) was dreadfull in the first half but picked up a bit later.
                  Hall seemed useful as well.
                  Id go for 442 with the big target man and Proctor upfront. Whitley and Llewelyn in central midfield. Hall and Aiston on the wings.
                  Get crosses in for the big lad and tell the defence to "hit" him asap, get Proctor close to him for knockdowns and he'll get you the goals to stay up.
                  The two "inhand" games are must wins (obviously) and i still think you can do it IF the defence stop pussyfooting around thinking their beckenbaur/maldini hybrids.

Best of luck.

Comment

Cheers Broken Clock [and you used to be ...?] but I'm afraid that it was a typical Wrexham performance this season, although it seems Broughton played better than he usually does!

Llewellyn has the talent to be a Championship player - he has the ego of a Premiership player - unfortunately for us he has the attitude of a Parks player.

Comment

I remember Chris Llewellyn nearly signed for us when he decided to go for Wrexham, who at the time probably did seem a better prospect. He's a Townhill boy and it gives me no pleasure to say he made the wrong decision. He has been on the fringe of the Welsh squad over the years but for some reason he's failed to realise his potential.

Comment

Fausto Ptang wrote:
                        ... for some reason he's failed to realise his potential.
                        It's because he's a lazy fucker.

Comment

So, it's safe to say he wouldn't relish travelling to Forest Green next season? (were it to come to that)

Comment

Looks like it, sadly. 2-0 down to Mansfield.

Comment

Capitulation ... fallen apart ... absolute shite - just three of the texts I've been sent

Comment

oooo ... we've got one back ...

Comment

Cmon Wrexham...but having so many ex Sunderland players isnt a recipe for success Im afraid.

Tyranosaurus Alan/Alania Vladikavkaz btw.

Comment

never mind ex-Sunderland we've got far too many ex-Chester players!

Comment

I think my previous optimism may have been misguided. Can't really see a way back unfortunately, hmmm.

Comment

Welcome, Wrexham, to the purgatory that is the Conference. Allow me to give you a quick guide to what you can expect:
                                        All supporters of clubs who have yet to be in the league will call you arrogant (even if you're not).
                                        All supporters of clubs who were previously in the league will extend you their sympathy, while secretly hoping that you fail to make an immediate return.
                                        You will visit a variety of extremely tinpot stadiums where the supporters will be very friendly, where you can drink decent ale, and stand on terracing.
                                        If you thought the referees in Division Four were poor, you ain't seen nothing yet.
                                        You will find yourselves being shown live on Setanta too frequently, with the attendant Thursday evening/Saturday morning/Sunday evening fixtures, and the consequent tedium of blank Saturdays.
                                        I'm not sure how you guys will find it, but for us there's a gratifyingly large number of southern-based teams, compared with division four.
                                        You will find yourselves rapidly falling out of the general footballing consciousness, as a surprisingly large number of websites / newspapers / TV programmes don't feature any football below League level.
                                        Your reputation as a League side will mean that your home games will feature teams who will put ten men behind the ball at all times, and start time wasting from ten minutes in (or earlier). This will frequently happen at your away games too.
                                        For more detailed info on specific clubs (local pubs, what you can expect in terms of catering, locals, views, etc) don't hesitate to ask. I can give you the full gory rundown, having now been to every current Conference ground. I can assure you, it's an adventure which is at once fascinating and awful.

Comment

Working...
                                        X