Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bristol Rovers statement concerning alleged assault on a woman

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news...tement-update/

The club is unable to make any further comment other than to quote the Crown Prosecutor this morning who said "this is a victimless crime. No one has made a claim of assault"
    Well.

There's two questions that spring to my mind straight away

One is can any legal eagles out there tell me how if it's victimless is there an assault charge being processed against an individual?

Last edited by Guy Profumo; 27-07-2021, 10:28.

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...e3#post2489451

Comment

My question is more about the CPS wallah to be honest

But should certainly fit neatly into the "And now news of a vacancy for a press officer at Bristol Rovers Football Club"

Comment

One wonders whether that purported quote is why the Bristol Post refused to publish the club's statement "for legal reasons"

Comment

I think only that part of the statement was omitted by the Bristol Post, who published the rest of it.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/...-after-5702864

Clearly the Post realizes that the club (intentionally or through stupidity) doesn't understand the application of "victimless" in this case, which I believe means the CPS has brought the charges to protect others from future assaults despite Mrs Barton choosing to prefer not to press them.
          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-07-2021, 11:05.

Comment

It appears to be a "victimless prosecution", and to claim the crown prosecutor had referred to it as a "victimless crime" is despicable.

Comment

Could the club face legal consequences for putting that statement out?

Comment

I don't know if it violates reporting restrictions.

It certainly is irresponsible, but I'm not sure that it is actionable if it does not.

I expect that the club's lawyer is not having a good day.

Comment

If the brains behind that statement are a guide, I doubt the club's lawyer wouldn't know whether it's a good day or not.

​​​​​​

Comment

The chances that a lawyer reviewed that before it was issued are only marginally better than BRFC's chances in the Champions League

Comment

It looks like Barton may have written or dictated it.

The contrast to how this is being handled to the way Wales dealt with Giggs is shocking. An immediate suspension while this is ongoing was the minimum, especially as he's facing a retrial for his other assault.

Comment

It seems a shame to move a discussion which was already being had to a new thread, but nevermind...

Anyway, it seems it is being dealt with in the magistrates' court, and so the risk of any statement made outside the court corrupting the process is assumed to be very low.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                          It seems a shame to move a discussion which was already being had to a new thread, but nevermind...

Anyway, it seems it is being dealt with in the magistrates' court, and so the risk of any statement made outside the court corrupting the process is assumed to be very low.
                          Yes, Gas In Name Only has made some good points on the division 4 thread.

Comment

Comment

And the evaporating reply strikes again

As I tried to say in the first place, I was commenting more on the alleged claims of the prosecutor that this was a "victimless crime"

This seems to have not been correct, and had been misquoted by the club
                              It's then become a wider discussion about that club and its governance, rather than prospects for the coming season for them and other clubs in that division

If that's upset anybody

​​​​​​​Then I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                It looks like Barton may have written or dictated it.
                                Strongly suspect the hand of JB's pal Chris Gibson, who has made a swift ascent to a boardroom position on the basis that he purports to be some kind of leadership guru.

Suffice to say that this has not really served to unite an already deeply divided support. The statement has been up all day and an open letter from the owner only published in the last hour or so. I can't be arsed to read it tbh, I'm now so pissed off only the head of Barton and an unreserved apology will placate me and I doubt either will be forthcoming.

When Refuge put out a statement condemning the actions of your club it's safe to say it's not been a good 24 hours.

Only bright spot I can see is that a fundraiser set up by Gasheads has raised nearly a grand for Refuge in a day or so.

There are a lot of people out there who are fucking furious, demanding season ticket refunds and withdrawal of support entirely until Barton has gone.

Wael Al-Qadi appears to have lost control of his club given the rudderless chaos of the last 48 hours and I understand that his letter strongly implies that the club were unaware of the arrest and charge until last week (so possibly not until the S*n broke the story). Which to me would suggest grounds for dismissal anyway but whatever, he's gone all in on Barton and I doubt he wants to sack him ten days before the start of the season.

The club are frequently shit but I've never been ashamed to be associated with them until last night

Sorry for the incoherent post but a lot has happened in the last couple of days and it'll take some straightening out

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                  And the evaporating reply strikes again

As I tried to say in the first place, I was commenting more on the alleged claims of the prosecutor that this was a "victimless crime"

This seems to have not been correct, and had been misquoted by the club
                                  Yes, it seems to have been a misspeak in the court in that it should be a 'victimless prosecution' in that the victim is not the complainant. Which is reasonably common in DV cases and almost everyone present would have understood what was meant. This has then been taken out of context and misused in that statement to give the impression that the alleged crime is less serious than it is (and completely illogical in that sense because of course there was a victim).

In any normal organisation I would expect someone to lose their job over this but unfortunately we appear to have become far less normal under JB. His mate is now on the board, he has dictated an existing board member's (Tommy Widdrington) job effectively be downgraded, has been able to sack coaches and bring his entire entourage on board. I'm not even sure that the owner is strong enough to resist his desire for absolute control to be honest.

There are some excellent people involved with BRFC. Commercial Director Tom Gorringe has done some great work on fan engagement and improving the tired facilities at the Mem. Community Trust CEO Adam Tutton is another who has driven some excellent community engagement at all ages, re-started the women's team after far too many years without one and is genuinely committed to the club's role at the heart of the north Bristol community. I can imagine that both of them are utterly horrified at what's going on.

Comment

I'm not upset, Guy, I just don't like it, because it isn't how my brain likes things to be. But there you go. Let's move on.

So there's been a weaselly nopology from the president, whoever that is:

We in no way meant to belittle charges of domestic abuse. I know that this may have been misinterpreted in the statement last night and I wholeheartedly apologise to anyone that was offended.

Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 27-07-2021, 17:25.

Comment

If the statement was made in court, isn't reporting it a violation of English law?

Or does that principle of strict liability not apply in magistrates' court proceedings?

GINO, you have been anything but incoherent. Your posts have been very valuable; I'm only sad that you have to deal with this shit from your club.

Comment

Thank you. It's really quite distressing tbh, especially when you see fuckwits describing the one good thing that's happened in connection to this - the now £1300+ that's been raised for Refuge purely off an online campaign - as making them sick. But I guess we all have em.

0-0 at home to Havant & Waterlooville tonight. Since JB arrived in February he's managed two trials, four days in court and only three wins. Makes his fan club's devotion to him all the more mystifying tbh

Comment

It's only restricted if there are restrictions. Kinda thing. What's said in court is in public unless it isn't, so you can report it unless you can't.

Comment

[H]ow long does Joey Barton get these excuses made for him, how many opportunities does he get in the professional game, how much more money is sent his way, because he's misunderstood, or Jekyll and Hyde, or actually really intelligent and nice if you get to know him, or just passionate, or just a winner, or just this or just that.

He was, is, and always will be, a nasty, horrible, at times quite dangerous, cnt. He looks like a cnt, he quacks like a cnt, he's a fcking cnt. He has zero redeeming features. Only in football are people like this allowed to prevail and pervade regardless.

The prevailing QPR perspective from LoftForWords' Clive Whittingham.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

He was, is, and always will be, a nasty, horrible, at times quite dangerous, cnt. He looks like a cnt, he quacks like a cnt, he's a fcking cnt. He has zero redeeming features. Only in football are people like this allowed to prevail and pervade regardless.
                                              Football and politics.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                [H]ow long does Joey Barton get these excuses made for him, how many opportunities does he get in the professional game, how much more money is sent his way, because he's misunderstood, or Jekyll and Hyde, or actually really intelligent and nice if you get to know him, or just passionate, or just a winner, or just this or just that.

The prevailing QPR perspective from LoftForWords' Clive Whittingham.
                                                Quite so

As you can probably imagine the argument of the Bartonistas is the "innocent until...." line and variations on "having to" back the manager until it's done. As though this all occurred in a vacuum or from out of nowhere, with no context or previous behaviour to consider at all. This is a man who last season laughed about his previous assaults when comparing them to what he saw as unpunished opposition fouls against us. No remorse, just an amusing anecdote to use when saying he'd done time for less than that.

I can only imagine that these people are either terminally naive or just don't give a shit about what kind of man leads our football club and need to come up with some fig leaf reasoning for why he should remain in his job. Which still doesn't answer the question as to why they're so loyal to him when he's manifestly terrible at the job he's employed to do

Comment

I'm not upset, Guy, I just don't like it, because it isn't how my brain likes things to be. But there you go. Let's move on.

So there's been a weaselly nopology from the president, whoever that is:

Ah. Fair enough. Then clearly our minds work differently

I like what I regard as separate things pigeonholed in different boxes.

(Granted, I then like the subjects to wander and fly off at tangents and in different directions.)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X