Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranieri now confirmed.

Comment

What odds are Watford to win the league this season?

Comment

Between 950 and 2500 to 1

Comment

In a way he's the perfect Watford manager. Managed 21 different clubs in his career, most for only one or two seasons. Strangely his four years at Chelsea were his longest gig.

Comment

Lasted less than a year under Abramovich, mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
              Indeed. I don't know much about Watford and its owners, such as what other evidence there might be of their being arseholes, but the club's record over the past decade in terms of managerial appointments is an absolute joke. If I've counted correctly from the Wiki page of Watford managers linked below, they've had 14 different managers in the last 10 years, not counting the "caretakers" (16 I think if you include those). No manager has lasted more than 66 matches in that period (compare Graham Taylor, 428 matches as the club's manager in his first stint there). Is there another club in any of the 4 English league divisions with a worse record of managerial turnover in that 10 year period?

I mean, logically there can be only so many possiblities. Either they are utterly crap at choosing managers from those available, or they have vastly inflated ideas of who should be available and willing to work for them, and/or they are spectacularly crap at giving their managers what they need to meet their infllated expectations... You'd think that after being "wrong" 14 times they might learn a bit of humility and a bit more sense of realism.

List of Watford F.C. managers - Wikipedia
              And yet. If we accept Graham Taylor is the outlier-which we must given the club status in game before his appointment-the record over last 10 years compares more than favourably with any other time in history. 6 of last 7 seasons have been spent in top flight. After 1988 they spent 2 years in 27 in top flight.

Comment

It's a decent bet that Ranieri might be the next Premier League boss to get sacked.

https://twitter.com/thesackrace/status/1445101916610985994?s=19

Comment

Watford have a tremendously dìfficult run of fixtures coming up.

Comment

Never mind Watford, won't somebody think of ME? The Leicester "miracle" was the story to warm our cockles (what are the cockles anyway?) and let us love football again, and never mind that the plucky little outsiders were actually funded by mega-millions, we don't care about the financial facts, it was impossible and yet it happened and it was good.

Now Ranieri gets to go back to Leicester with a visiting team (again) and get the diminishing returns of rapture in the ovations and soon he'll be just another sacked manager, instead of sitting down for nostalgic interviews in documentaries and posing in front of murals. He's become the Michael Caine of managers, churning out the crap for cash, when we just want to remember him in the classics, like, I dunno, Miss Congeniality.

Comment

As reported on the Div 4 thread, Carlisle have sacked Chris Beech after a shockingly poor run of results and performances, with him rapidly running out of ideas of how to improve matters, other than to shout at the keeper to kick it longer.

There are some deep-rooted problems at the club, which could play into how the appointment of a replacement pans out. For now the fans are speculating along the usual two lines that emerge whenever the vacancy arises - any popular ex player with even the slightest of managerial experience (e.g. Danny Grainger) or any experienced lower league manager currently out of a job (e.g. John McGreal). But we'll end up with a low cost unknown quantity that David Holdsworth once had a pint with and seemed like a nice fella.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                        This is the real problem for an awful lot of clubs isn't it. There's two ways it goes wrong. If you don't appoint a manager who has the same tactical philosophy and approach, you've suddenly made most of your current squad look useless, and the new man makes a couple of signings, but can't get his system to work because of the hopelessly mismatched squad, he gets the blame and is fired, leading to another change in direction rendering half the squad useless and the cycle continues

Or as is more likely neither manager had a discernible style of play, and is signing players that are the same quality as players you had already, because he's worked with them before, or because they share an agent, or just for the bungs.

the only real way around it is for clubs to take a medium term view, pick a way of playing, find a coach that plays that way, and give him time to assemble a squad that can play that way, and has two players for each position. The players don't have to be amazing or anything, the fact that they can all play in the required fashion, and you have like for like replacements.

if it turns out that the coach you appointed is shite, then appoint another who plays a similar way so he can work with the squad you have assembled. That way you don't wind up with pointless duplication and a squad half full of players you can't use.

The problem with this is you need a medium to long term strategy, and you need patience, and balls of steel. And all of those things are in extremely short supply in football
                        You were watching Sunderland for the last 12 years weren’t you?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post

You were watching Sunderland for the last 12 years weren’t you?
                          I went to see sunderland play at wolves in 2006, to see Roy keane take on manager Mick. Why stop at 12 years.

Comment

Typo. I meant 120 years.

Comment

hahaha, that makes a lot more sense.

Comment

If Mick Mc Carthy and Nigel Clough are still in their jobs next week, I'll be amazed.

Comment

Charlton sack Nigel Adkins. I'm amazed he's lasted this long.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/617...anagerCharlton

Comment

Apparently, in something of shock development, Steve Bruce has been sacked.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                      Charlton sack Nigel Adkins. I'm amazed he's lasted this long.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/617...anagerCharlton
                                      His appointment had completely passed me by (or slipped my mind, I probably commented on here about it). I'd be surprised if he can find another job at that level.

His "I'm just the physio!" schtick from his Scunthorpe days has bought him a decent career nonetheless.

Comment

Apparently he turned us down at some point recently as he didn’t want to drop into league 2.

Comment

Adkins definitely needed to go; I'd prefer to just give Jackson the top job and see how it goes, the main rumor that I'm hearing is Chris Coleman, which, I have a lot of time for him so wouldn't be sad to see that at all.

Comment

No surprises as Cardiff and Mick McCarthy part company after an eighth straight defeat.

Comment

No surprises as David Holdsworth appoints one of his mates to the Carlisle manager's job - Keith Millen.

Comment

Conte looks likely to end up at Manchester United.

Comment

So, Cristiano is on his bike?

Florian Kohfeldt (ex Werder) has replaced Mark van Bommel at Wolfsburg

Comment

Simon Rusk has left County, "following a difficult start to the season". Although to be honest, the losing made it look more difficult than it really was.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X