Eu Turn and Other Managerial Changes in 2021-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    Dean Smith looks set to become the new Norwich boss.
    Bloody nepotism.

Comment

Steve Watson out at York just days after winning manager of the month. Replaced by John Askey until the end of the season, who had only come in earlier this week to "help out" as assistant while Mickey Cummins was... err... absent. The board clearly already had this move in mind – classy as always.

Comment

Askey seems to be a regular on the merry-go-round in the lower leagues now.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          Askey seems to be a regular on the merry-go-round in the lower leagues now.

Yes, he's quite the busy-busy bee.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Yes, he's quite the busy-busy bee.
            Buzz if you like but don't sting me? (It's an ancient telly reference, at least two of us got it)

Comment

Dean Smith now confirmed as Norwich manager. To be honest I reckon Norwich have done pretty well out of this recent round of manager musical chairs.

Comment

Definitely seems a better fit than Lampard.

Comment

Looks like Stevenage parted company with their manager over the weekend, which means Boro's Chris Wilder is charging up the longevity chart to 88th without actually having seen his team play a game.

Comment

Or he's 87th / 91.

Comment

OGS is gone apparently. Awaiting Glaziers approval.

Comment

The thing I find surprising is the lack of managerial talent as a possible replacement for OGS. I can't believe Zidane is seen as the best possible option and it gets even more absurd that Brendan Rodgers is second favourite.

I'm bound to say this, but Man Utd could do a lot worse than make an approach for Jorge Jesus, if he could handle the pressure at Flamengo, he'd handle it at Man Utd. There are so many Portuguese speakers at the club, many of whom he has already worked with, that his lack of English wouldn't be such an issue. And most importantly, he'd get Man Utd playing football that is fun to watch and I still dream of seeing JJ in the EPL before he retires.

Sadly, it will never happen...

Comment

Zidane or Rodgers seem like very unadventurous and uneducated options, but it just stinks of Ed Woodward. I can only imagine what the rest of the shortlist looks like, probably Alan Pardew and Alan Curbishly.
                          There's plenty of good young managers in Europe who would be a much more suitable candidate, and it's not like Man United haven't got the resources to get them. Someone like Amorim or Imanol maybe?

Comment

Zidane, apparently, isn't a massive fan of the idea of working for a living (given he doesn't have to), so is unlikely to happen. I share the scepticism that he'd be what United need. And perhaps it's just the Liverpool connection and my own bias as a result, but I've been looking at all the stuff about Rodgers being nailed on to succeed Ole any day now and thinking 'really? Him?' I mean the Manchester United job today is obviously not as juicy a prospect as it was back in mid-2013*, but what's Brendan Rodgers supposed to be brilliant at, exactly? I know Ole wasn't supposed to be brilliant at anything, but he was appointed as the cheap option – the club seemed to be trying to hint they'd moved on from that sort of thing now.

I hadn't thought of Jorge Jesus but from what he did at Flamengo (and obviously from his record more broadly) I wouldn't say no. I would prefer someone with some English, though. I definitely think they could do worse than Marcelo Gallardo (who does speak at least some English – he played in MLS and I know for a fact he's taken English classes during his time managing River), although there's not a snowball's chance in Hell they'll be that imaginative. The scouting department at United probably haven't even heard of Julián Álvarez.

Darren Fletcher and Michael Carrick until further notice is what I'm reading (on a WhatsApp group with a bunch of football nerds).

*I realise it could be argued that anyone taking over right after Fergie left would have been on a hiding to nothing, but you know what I mean.

Comment

I imagine Michael Carrick reads a game better than OGS.
                              Last edited by Sits; 21-11-2021, 08:56.

Comment

Sean Dyche? They could do a lot worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                                  Sean Dyche? They could do a lot worse.
                                  At least he would be a manager that The Awesome Berbaslug!!! and EIM could agree on.

Comment

Should be. Won’t.

Comment

TAB's main defence of Solskjaer (well, one of them other than the whole "they only had 17 femtoseconds of preseason" and "everyone involved is a gammon except me and Ole" things) is that he's not a cunt like Mourinho.

That rules out the fact that occasionally - just occasionally - you need that cunt.

Sure, not a "world's against me and I'll start an argument in an empty room" cunt like Jose.

More of a "at least two of you will throw up in training today" cunt. Spurs got that cunt.

We know Zidane is a man you don't want to mess with. 14 red cards prove that. I'm sure Materazzi still has a gaping hole where his sternum used to be.

We know he can keep egos in check. You can't out-ego one of the greatest players to have walked the surface of the Earth.

But...

Is he the cunt Man Utd need? Or deserve, even? One look at Wan-Bissaka trying to cross in training and he'd be on the first flight back to Madrid weeping into his three-quarter length jeans.

Comment

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has officially left his role as Manchester United manager. ANNOUNCE PULIS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                          Zidane, apparently, isn't a massive fan of the idea of working for a living (given he doesn't have to), so is unlikely to happen
                                          That’s the word. He can also pick up a huge pay check by going back to modelling for a couple of weeks a year (his image in Mango clothing was plastered all over Spain a few years ago) which he was apparently persuaded to stop doing by the board at Real Madrid. Just for pocket money, of course, as you suggest it won’t be to keep the wolf from the door.

Comment

If Manchester Utd really want Rodgers then they have to take Kolo Toure and Lee Congerton as well. Fair's fair.

Comment

Dyche doesn’t take any of Klopps touchline bullshit either.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                                If Manchester Utd really want Rodgers then they have to take Kolo Toure and Lee Congerton as well. Fair's fair.
                                                Congerton fucked up at Hamburg and Sunderland. Leicester seem to be worse every time I see them. Admittedly only on TV. Get rid ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                  Should be. Won’t.
                                                  Agreed.
                                                  A Watford fan I worked with back then was fuming when Dyche got the push there. To the extent that I started taking note of him more than most managers.

Once during a Xmas drink back home with my backstage source I was told he had been nailed on to leave Burnley for Sunderland to replace Dick Advocaat when he announced his retirement in the summer 0f 2014/15. When Burnley went down and Sunderland stayed up. Our fans then started sending letters and flowers to DAs wife begging her to let him come back. She relented. He came back then quit ten games into the season.
                                                  Why floundering bigger boys like Villa, Newcastle, Everton havent whisked him away from you is beyond me. He gets the best out of the tools he’s given which is all that can be asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
                                                    He gets the best out of the tools he’s given which is all that can be asked.
                                                    That's not how people choose managers is it? certainly not big clubs anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X