No announcement yet.

Eu Turn and Other Managerial Changes in 2021-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he seems the exact opposite of someone who will work well with the fucker dawdling about upfront.

Comment

The "consultancy" bit seems a kluge intended to preserve the Murtough/Fletcher/Carrick "structure" that is doomed to failure

Comment

Though Murtough is apparently who sounded him out, so fair fucks.

Comment

Outstanding press conference from the Blades for Heckingbottom's unveiling.

Yusuf Giansiracusa (United chairman)

Paul will be the club's football manager. I am told that is not a title that will go down well here. I don't care, I am not from Sheffield and I am not a football man I am the chairman. We are not going to discuss the plan here, the focus is on football. Prince Abdullah has been the face of the club and will no longer be the case. You won't see much of me either."
          Stephen Bettis (CEO)

https://twitter.com/SportGids1/status/1463893291116773377

They also admitted there's no money for January signings and they "believe in the academy". So they've appointed Hecks because he won't rock the boat, presumably.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
            Though Murtough is apparently who sounded him out, so fair fucks.
            Having thought about it, there is a chance it could work if Murtough et al have become full on Rangnick acolytes with the zeal of the newly converted.

Though he has always preferred to grow his own, rather like the Jesuits.

Comment

The Sheffield clubs appear to be engaged in some kind of twisted wager

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                he seems the exact opposite of someone who will work well with the fucker dawdling about upfront.
                I love the idea that anybody who has ever seen Ronaldo play could think he is "dawdling about". Whatever his suitability for the current Man United team or the prevailing tactics of the day that is just a ridiculous comment.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 25-11-2021, 17:49.

Comment

Jesus I was exaggerating ala Berba's hyperbole. There's definitely points in the game when he's doing fuck all though, as you'd expect of an auld lad to go never tracked back even in his prime. He's pretty much exactly the sort of player you'd expect Ralf not to get in with.
                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 25-11-2021, 18:29.

Comment

VIVA THOR RAGNAROCK!

This seems like an uncharacteristically savvy appointment from United, and makes me wonder if Ten Hag is the first choice in the summer. I'm looking forward to seeing how we fuck this up.
                    Why do you say this? The high point of his managerial career is seeing anderson score twice against his team in a champions league semi final, to add to goals by darron Gibson and valencia. He also finished second in the bundesliga 16 seasons ago.

Comment

No one will ever be able to do you as well as you do

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

Why do you say this? The high point of his managerial career is seeing anderson score twice against his team in a champions league semi final, to add to goals by darron Gibson and valencia. He also finished second in the bundesliga 16 seasons ago.
                        It's true he's never won the Norwegian league or got Cardiff relegated, but other than that he seems great.

The key issue is he's an interim manager who we can't appoint full-time. That's a mistake we've made before

Comment

I'm not wrong though am I? Those literally are the high water marks of his career.

Comment

It's true he's never won the Norwegian league or got Cardiff relegated, but other than that he seems great.
                            He's also never finished second in the premier league, or reached a european final. Why did you pick cardiff, and not that. One of these things is considerably less relevant than the other.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

He's also never finished second in the premier league, or reached a european final. Why did you pick cardiff, and not that. One of these things is considerably less relevant than the other.
                              Nor had Solskjaer until he joined United. So the key comparison is their career pre joining the club.

Comment

From what I know about Rangnick,* this seems like a very interesting appointment. On the situation as it is, I'd rather have a permanent manager coming in ahead of the January transfer window who can then have not just a full pre-season next year but also see what the current team are about and where he wants to strengthen, but if the club are going to go for some sort of continuity following on from an interim for the rest of this season (and this being Manchester United in the twenty-first century, that's a pretty big 'if') that might point towards going for Julian Nagelsmann at season's end, no? Does the Rangnick-then-Ten-Hag stuff go much beyond them both being continental Europeans who speak Germanic languages? They've not worked together before. I'm not saying there's nothing in it; I'm just wondering what exactly about Rangnick coming in is said to make Ten Hag more likely to be the permanent appointment.

*I proofread a book about German football coaching last year in which he and his methods were talked about a lot.

Comment

There are more than a dozen top flight managers in Europe who have worked with Rangnick.

Ten Hag isn't one of them and he Ajax School is not the same as the Stuttgart School.

I don't think that Nagelsmann is ready to leave Bayern (or Tuchel Chelsea), but that leaves Rose, Hutter, Svensson, Marsch and a host of others.

Comment

Indeed. I suppose what Rangnick and Ajax have in common is a desire to give young players their chance in the first team, albeit Rangnick's tended to do that by buying them from elsewhere. They might have accidentally stumbled across the right person to sort out the scouting and recruitment side of things, which they said they wanted to do earlier in the year when Woodward's impending departure was teased and don't appear to have done anything about since.

Comment

I'm pretty surprised that Ragnick and United could come to an agreement given that I would have expected Ragnick to want a certain amount of say on recruitment and infrastructure -- if this is actually the case I think this is a really good move for United purely because having somebody provide some sort of direction in terms of tactical style/recruitment/player development would be a huge improvement over their previous situation, which I would best characterize as a burning barn with a wagon wheel and a chicken flying out of it (and to be clear, this was something that was making Ole's job significantly harder, he was basically handed Big Red's Commercial Slurry and told to make a team out of it).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        There are more than a dozen top flight managers in Europe who have worked with Rangnick.

Ten Hag isn't one of them and he Ajax School is not the same as the Stuttgart School.

I don't think that Nagelsmann is ready to leave Bayern (or Tuchel Chelsea), but that leaves Rose, Hutter, Svensson, Marsch and a host of others.
                                        Rose, Hütter and Marsch haven't exactly set the world on fire at their new clubs. Svensson has impressed at Mainz, and maybe the Klopp 'n' Tuchel golddust will stick to him. But Man Utd are rather a different number.

I don't rate Rangnick much as a coach, but I was very impressed with his running of Franchise Leipzig. And I suspect that the "consultant" thing is Rangnick's idea, so that he can walk away if he doesn't get his way.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post
                                          I'm pretty surprised that Ragnick and United could come to an agreement given that I would have expected Ragnick to want a certain amount of say on recruitment and infrastructure -- if this is actually the case I think this is a really good move for United purely because having somebody provide some sort of direction in terms of tactical style/recruitment/player development would be a huge improvement over their previous situation, which I would best characterize as a burning barn with a wagon wheel and a chicken flying out of it (and to be clear, this was something that was making Ole's job significantly harder, he was basically handed Big Red's Commercial Slurry and told to make a team out of it).
                                          Yes, it shows the depth of the current crisis there that Man U have been willing to do a 180 degree turn in terms of going from a novice, tactically inept coach they can manipulate to a seasoned one who will either get the backing he needs to build a coherent side or tell them to fuck off.

Meanwhile, Conte is already telling his Spurs players they're shit, just as Mourinho did, except that Conte is already willing to walk away. Levy seems to have done no homework on who this guy is.
                                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 26-11-2021, 08:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                            From what I know about Rangnick,* this seems like a very interesting appointment. On the situation as it is, I'd rather have a permanent manager coming in ahead of the January transfer window who can then have not just a full pre-season next year
                                            Wait, is that actually allowed??

Comment

I wonder what constitutes a full pre-season considering the Premier League is kicking off a week early next year.

Comment

A good night's sleep in a skip?

Comment

Accidentally linked to an Aquascutum overcoat there, that link should work better.
                                                  Can you link the coat anyway please? My curiosity is pricked.

Comment

Mrs. S liked Eric’s look. She said he looked as though he’d just strolled out from his vineyard.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X