No announcement yet.

Storm's A Comin' : Matchgoing July 22 - 29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lubo! Fondly remembered at Carlisle. Not least for scoring this 40 yard howitzer at Hartlepool.

Comment

Was the goalkeeper bending down to tie his shoelaces when the shot was hit?

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
        Carlisle 0-1 Blackpool. Took a photo to show how fantastic our pitch looks, but can't upload it for some reason.

Off the pitch, to the club's credit, they have listened to fans and have introduced new food and drink options, though the queues that were still persevering after the second half had kicked off
        I don’t remember Carlisles pitch ever looking less than fantastic. Has there been problems?

My mole mate behind the scenes at The SOLE always says that’s the reason for the basic food offerings available at grounds. I’ve never even managed to watch the HT whistle blown, get in a queue, buy a pint then drink it before the second half restarts so exotic foodstuffs (for U.K. football) have no chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
          Lubo! Fondly remembered at Carlisle. Not least for scoring this 40 yard howitzer at Hartlepool.
          Never seen him do that in Slovakia! He's been a fine professional though. When Dunajska Streda let him go in 2017, he dropped down to the 2nd league to sign for Sered. They won promotion in his first season, and he's been important for them in the top league. They still haven't brought their ground up to standard and have played every home game in exile, so I imagine players like him - local(ish) with lots of experience - bring a stabilising influence. He might have gone to Euro 2016 if it hadn't been for the late emergence of Milan Skriniar ; he was around the squad for much of qualifying.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            We talk about the weather a lot on the matchgoing threads don't we? No surprise I suppose when it has such a major impact on our experience. Anyway, apparently the heatwave is ending as we have thunder, lightning and rain across much of the country starting this weekend.

I've been to a cracking Speedway meeting tonight (Thursday), King's Lynn Stars v Belle Vue Aces (which I'll write up on the relevant thread) - as I have to be elsewhere in East Anglia for a work thing tomorrow morning.

Friday night I hope to be at the Hampton & Richmond v Wimbledon friendly with a few mates and my boy. The Beveree is perhaps my favourite very local stadium but sadly as it's an evening game I won't be able to take the ferry across the Thames there from Molesey that is usually my chosen mode of transport to Hampton.

Saturday afternoon will be the opening match at Sheerwater's Eastwood Centre where the visitors will be their neighbours and recent landlords Woking. I've dubbed the derby El Wellerco as the stadium is on the (former, I presume) grounds of the Sheerwater Secondary School where The Jam were formed and the band played early gigs at The Sheer's original clubhouse.
            Played a cup final at Hampton and used to play against Sheerwater in their amateur days.

Didn’t The Jam play some of their earlier gigs at the working men’s club at the top of Stanley Road? I used to nip over there for some refreshment occasionally.

Comment

Boston United 1 Notts County 3

When my Notts mate suggested a drive to Boston, I quickly accepted his offer. A quick hop over the Notts/Lincs border and a new ground ticked off. Poor geographical knowledge on my part - Boston is 60 miles away! That's equivalent to half way to London and as our Lincolnshire correspondents will confirm, roads in that county are not the best.

Anyway, two hours later we arrived and had a quick look at the old York Street ground and a drink in a nearby pub. This was a good decision because the new Jakeman's Stadium is surrounded by a Costa Coffee, a Starbucks, a Burger King and a Papa John's Pizza but absolutely nothing resembling a pub. The stadium itself consists of just three sides, one seated and two standing. The away end is yet to be completed and probably won't need to be unless Boston get a promotion or two.

York Road

Comment

New Jakeman's Stadium

Comment

Prestatyn Town 1-1 Llandudno
                  Cymru North

I'd been very much looking forward to my first visit to Prestatyn since spending several weeks in my alcoholic Uncle George's caravan there when I was a youngster. Other than the caravan park itself my only concrete memory of the place was of a coin-operated dalek on the sea front. Disappointingly a stroll around the town brought no new memories to the surface and of course the dalek has long gone.

A dull game in a dull ground on a dull evening did little to raise my spirits. Prestatyn, winners of Cymru North last season, took an early lead with the game's only outstanding moment. A jinking run down the right ended with a fizzing cross which was back-heeled into the corner with aplomb from a yard inside the box. Thereafter the ball spent more time high in the air than on the deck. The tatties* enjoyed the bulk of the possession but did little with it and were let down time and again by wayward passes or hopeful punts into the general direction of the Llandudno box. The duds** drew level on the hour mark after a communication breakdown between keeper and defender left the striker with a simple tap in. A red card for a two-footed Prestatyn challenge followed and for ten minutes the game was entertainingly end to end before fizzling out again.

* sadly not
                  ** see above

Comment

I've got to fill.out a Covid questionnaire tomorrow but all being well in the evening I will be watching The New Saints v FK Kaunus Zalgiris in the Europa League Qualifying. TNS have a 5-0 lead from the away leg so am hoping to see a few goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                      Prestatyn Town 1-1 Llandudno
                      Cymru North

I'd been very much looking forward to my first visit to Prestatyn since spending several weeks in my alcoholic Uncle George's caravan there when I was a youngster. Other than the caravan park itself my only concrete memory of the place was of a coin-operated dalek on the sea front. Disappointingly a stroll around the town brought no new memories to the surface and of course the dalek has long gone.

A dull game in a dull ground on a dull evening did little to raise my spirits.
                      I like the look of this ground, including from your pic, and it's still one I'd like to visit it. I spent a family holiday in Prestatyn once, but aged less than 12 months, so have no recollections at all. I've passed through often enough on the train, en route to Anglesey, Llandudno, cricket in Colwyn Bay etc.

Boston's new ground looks well-populated on Cantagalo's photo.

Zilina vs Apollon Limassol tomorrow night in the ECL. Zilina are in a healthy position, if not one as unassailable as TNS'. Won 3-1 in Cyprus.

Comment

Hampton & Richmond Borough 1 Wimbledon 1
                        Pre-Season Friendly
                        The Beveree

A pleasant if uneventful Friday night run out for a Dons side at about half-strength with two games in less than 24 hrs. The Beveree is a lovely ground in a delightful area and its large terrace down half of one side is a lovely spot to watch a match. Certainly one of the most characterful Conference grounds I've been to.

The Beavers are a big, physical side especially at the back and they didn't spare the mostly younger Wimbledon forward players any challenges which will be a good learning experience for them I think. If anything the visitors looked a better, more fluent side as they brought on more of their development players later in the game as they have played together a lot in age group games and had the advantage of extra fitness over the hosts.

The two goals were in a couple of minutes. A Hampton break after a suspicious-looking challenge with the arm on an opponent that went unpunished by the ref was converted via a despairing hand from Wimbledon's new reserve keeper, Zaki Oualah. I've huge concerns about him as he has apparently been a training keeper with the club for seven years while also playing local non-league, looks very shaky, is about 5'7" and appears to make up for his lack of height by screaming to his teammates thoughout a game. I sincerely hope we don't ever have to rely on him for first team action.

The equaliser was a fantastic finish from a difficult angle after a rebound by Luke McCormick, a midfielder signed from Chelsea who is already looking the most impressive player in a very young squad.

Comment

Sheerwater 0 Woking 3
                          Pre-Season Friendly and Stadium Opener
                          Eastwood Centre

A very enjoyable match and certainly the best of the handful of PSFs I've seen so far this summer. As per my opening post this was a local derby between former tenants and landlords to christen Sheerwater's impressive, if a little functional, new ground. Built in the edge of both a school and new leisure centre it has the air of a council facility about it but when a club at this level has been homeless for a while I'll commend any full time ground they get give the alternatives.

One unusual feature was the clubhouse being housed outside the ground in the first floor of the neighbouring leisure centre but someone had he foresight to put in huge picture windows affording a great view of the entire pitch for quite a large amount of people. It was a bit stuffy to do so in mid-July but could be very welcome for some people in the winter. That said they need to get the windows to open to get some atmosphere going between the clubhouse and ground.

I missed the Legends game between the two clubs at noon that was graced by Woking coach Martin Tyler playing a short spell and featured the first goal at the ground being scored by Ian Selley. In the main game Woking put out two different but strong XIs in each half both featuring a core of first teamers (quite a few with with league experience) along with some youth players and trialists. Sadly they were in their green change shirt not their red & white halved first one though that kit combination makes them even more redolent of Feyenoord.

It was pretty much one way traffic all game which meant Sheerwater didn't really get a chance to score a goal at all let alone the inaugural first team one at the ground which is a shame. Both teams took some time to acclimatise to the new artificial pitch which clearly needs some more game time to settle down properly but Woking ran in a couple of goals in the first twenty minutes or so and at one point looked like they would eventually score a shedload.

Some gritty, determined defending from The Sheers backlne kept it down to 0-3 though and the third didn't come until the dying moments of the game so it was a more than respectable home performance.

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 28-07-2021, 12:59.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post

I like the look of this ground, including from your pic, and it's still one I'd like to visit it. I spent a family holiday in Prestatyn once, but aged less than 12 months, so have no recollections at all. I've passed through often enough on the train, en route to Anglesey, Llandudno, cricket in Colwyn Bay etc.
                            It does of course take all sorts etc. and I've certainly visited worse. The stand you can see in my picture which runs the length of the pitch, with blue plastic seats 3 or 4 deep is the only furniture in the ground. The most interesting feature is the unused gate below, while what look like prison blocks behind the nearside goal is actually Pontins accommodation. I had a mooch around before the game and having visited prisons as well l'd struggle to say which look more depressing.

Last edited by Artificial Hipster; 28-07-2021, 14:36.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post

Boston's new ground looks well-populated on Cantagalo's photo.
                              Crowd was 1249 with 241 from Notts. Not bad for a PSF.

Just realised I didn't say anything about the game which was a comfortable win for Notts but last night was all about ticking off the ground. It's unlikely that I'll have a good reason (or, if I'm honest, the inclination) to go there again.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                I've got to fill.out a Covid questionnaire tomorrow but all being well in the evening I will be watching The New Saints v FK Kaunus Zalgiris in the Europa League Qualifying. TNS have a 5-0 lead from the away leg so am hoping to see a few goals.
                                I'd hoped to go to that if they released tickets but with the latter being announced relatively late it was too late to sort out work/dog minding responsibilities. I'll try and sort things out in advance of the next round.

Comment

Manchester United 2 Brentford 2

After a stressful trip to Boston on Tuesday, I decided to let the train take the strain from Nottingham to Manchester. All I can suggest is that whether you go by car or by train, you plan your travel in this country so that you're going in a northerly/southerly rather than easterly/westerly direction. The journey may well have been quicker in Victorian times.

Anyway, the game itself was really good and featured four of the best goals you're ever likely to see in one match. After a nervous start, Brentford grew into the game and I was encouraged that many of our fringe players didn't look out of place, though I'm not sure that you can tell too much from a friendly in which about 40 players took part.

The pick of the goals was Pereira's for Man Utd. I don't think I can remember seeing a ball hit harder than this. Here's the highlights - Pereira's goal is at 5:20.

https://highlightsfootball.net/video...cdVItlDdqPcOEs

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                                    Manchester United 2 Brentford 2

After a stressful trip to Boston on Tuesday, I decided to let the train take the strain from Nottingham to Manchester. All I can suggest is that whether you go by car or by train, you plan your travel in this country so that you're going in a northerly/southerly rather than easterly/westerly direction. The journey may well have been quicker in Victorian times.

Anyway, the game itself was really good and featured four of the best goals you're ever likely to see in one match. After a nervous start, Brentford grew into the game and I was encouraged that many of our fringe players didn't look out of place, though I'm not sure that you can tell too much from a friendly in which about 40 players took part.

The pick of the goals was Pereira's for Man Utd. I don't think I can remember seeing a ball hit harder than this. Here's the highlights - Pereira's goal is at 5:20.

https://highlightsfootball.net/video...cdVItlDdqPcOEs
                                    What was the attendance?

Comment

'Around 30,000'

The nearside Bobby Charlton stand was closed so it probably looked like more on the video.

Comment

The New Saints 5 v 1 FK Kauno Zalgiris (agg 10-1)

I've not seen such a one-sided game in some time. Kauno were determined to play it out from the back into a high press which meant TNS repeatedly won the ball back before it got near the halfway line and forced chance after chance. It was 3-0 at half time and Kauno were fortunate to only be 3 goals down. A few subs at half time and Kauno came out fighting for a good 25 minute spell but then TNS got another two goals to make it 10-0 on aggregate. The Kauno consolation was greeted with a loud cheer.

Comment

Did you get a Europa League badge for the TNS game?

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                                            Did you get a Europa League badge for the TNS game?
                                            No, but I've had one before.

Comment

Zilina 2 Apollon Limassol 2

With a 3-1 lead from the 1st leg, this result was good enough for Zilina to progress, but Apollon took the lead twice and made it a very tense, exciting night. 1,726 in attendance. It looked more, and there were predictions of 3,000 earlier in the day. Very enjoyable anyway.

Zilina now face Tobol of Kazakhstan, who beat Hajduk Split 4-1 aet after losing the first leg in Croatia 2-0.

Comment

Working...
                                              X