Kids invade the pitch: scenes from history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids invade the pitch: scenes from history

This footage from Wales v England (1972) is a fascinating historical document. There's the preamble (not broadcast), which today seems delightfully casual for a full international. There's some spectacular dirty fouling in the game. And at 1 hour 13 minutes, a Wales goal is disallowed and there's a pitch invasion by "silly boys" (Brian Moore).

It appears to be non-violent, a playground rush which ends without obvious stewarding or lip-pursing. It's the age of the invaders that really sticks out. I would have been one of them, around that time. A graphic illustration of the demographic change in football crowds. And really, it looks like a whole lot of fun.

At the start of Ken Bates's time at Chelsea, in the early-80s, he was much exercised by pitch incursions, as I'm sure a lot of us can remember. There was a match programme from around that time which included a warning that transgressors would be prosecuted or something. Anyway, the accompanying picture showed an invasion in progress with a disinterested copper in the background and in the foreground a kid, maybe a tween or early-teen, legging it off the pitch with a look of absolute terror on his face. It was very funny and put the "menace" in some sort of context.

Wish I could find the photo.

Comment

This wasn't it:

Comment

Nor this, at least not this angle:

Comment

Ken being studiously ignored:

Comment

Two things from the film of which I only watched the first few minutes. Firstly I could name every player shown on both sides as they walked out, something I would probably struggle with if the equivalent game were played today. Secondly, that Panathinaikos competed for the World Club Championship, something I didn't know. Looking it up, Ajax decided they didn't want to play.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
              This footage from Wales v England (1972) is a fascinating historical document. There's the preamble (not broadcast), which today seems delightfully casual for a full international. There's some spectacular dirty fouling in the game. And at 1 hour 13 minutes, a Wales goal is disallowed and there's a pitch invasion by "silly boys" (Brian Moore).

It appears to be non-violent, a playground rush which ends without obvious stewarding or lip-pursing. It's the age of the invaders that really sticks out. I would have been one of them, around that time. A graphic illustration of the demographic change in football crowds. And really, it looks like a whole lot of fun.
              Judging by the state of the pitch, there hadn't been a lot of wing play at Cardiff that season!

Comment

England had just been outclassed by West Germany in the Euros and would lose at home to N Ireland a few days later. Ramsey in decline.

Rodney Marsh is still earning a radio living over here on Grumpy Pundits on Sirius XM. He was in the spotlight during this period because Hurst had just played his last game and his successor wasn't obvious.

Gary Sprake looks shit on the first goal but those Leeds players were coming off a ridiculous schedule in an era with no squad rotation. Wales didn't look too bad. Moore was still class.
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 22-07-2021, 16:58.

Comment

I prefer old dears not invading the pitch.

Comment

To be fair, they're probably both younger than me.

Comment

Are we sure that those aren't the physios with their medical kitbags, comparing notes?

Comment

Probably discussing how to sow a leg back on after a particularly hard ‘contact’

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                          This wasn't it:

Nor is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_AzfSqIIEM

Comment

They certainly weren’t kids on the pitch in the 1985 LC Semi 2nd leg. Most entertaining 2.5hrs I’ve ever spent in a football ground. A cop chasing a hoolie across the same 18yd box as Clive Walker crossed to the far post where Colin West nodded in not being THE highlight speaks volumes.
                            Bates brought that night on himself in refusing to make it an all ticket game. We had the non shed end but because of mayhem in the surrounding area the Met turned over 50 of our lots coaches around at staples corner and sent them back up the M1. Only a couple of thousand of our lot got in.
                            Bates then wanted to electrify the fence around the pitch. He wasn’t legally required to admit TV cameras so did so on condition he could refuse transmission or retransmission of any “highlights”. There’s sometimes grainy footage on you tube. Footballs a nasty business when the likes of him are involved.

Comment

https://twitter.com/1968Tv/status/1419363561038565376?s=19

Comment

Posted this before on the interesting photographs & videos thread but, between the two truly excellent goals, you've a slightly unheimlich walking-pace pitch invasion and some absolutely classic painted-bedsheet SACK THE BOARD action.

Comment

Bobby Knutt?

Comment

Bob Carolgees there, furiously demanding to know if the referee had seen Spit the Dog.

Comment

Working...
                                    X