How many games since a 0-0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many games since a 0-0?

After I posted on the matchgoing thread, Patrick Thistle suggested I start a discussion on this. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a nil thread...

Last night I went to a 0-0 draw between AFC Mansfield and Grantham Town and it turned out that I had attended 61 games since my last blank scoreline.

A quick bit of research reveals that last season in the Premier League, 30 out of 380 matches ended goalless. That's 7.9% or 1 in every 12 or 13 so that would suggest that I've been on a lucky run but I would imagine that percentage would fall as you go down the leagues.

Does anyone have any more comprehensive stats? And can anyone beat 61 games?

I'm on 35 games since my last 0-0 (June 2019)

According to my records my longest run ever was 61 games (1992-1994). I'm currently on my second longest running by some margin.

Comment

I can't beat 61 games. I currently stand on 49 (not 50), the last being Middlesbrough v Swansea back in September 2018. This equals my existing best of 49 between York City v Bristol Rovers in March 1973 and England v Portugal in November 1974.

What about consecutive 0-0s? I've twice done three in a row - games at Derby, Notts County and Nottingham Forest in February 1975 and at Leyton Orient, West Brom and Stoke City in March/April 1990. I guess there must be records for the most consecutive 0-0s involving the same club?

Comment

I have never seen a 0-0 in Germany, nor has a pal who has a longer run than me, probably not 61 games though.

Comment

I had a run in the late eighties in which I saw seven goalless draws in ten matches.

I stopped attending football for a while after that.

Comment

When I went to Oakwell in our EPL season, I could be confident I would never see a 0-0 that season and I was not disappointed. Unfortunately most of the goals went past our keeper.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
              I have never seen a 0-0 in Germany, nor has a pal who has a longer run than me, probably not 61 games though.
              Ooh. Just the one - Bochum v Kaiserslautern in 2013 - and currently on a run of 44. That's the only 0-0 I've seen away from the UK.
              Last edited by Capybara; 14-07-2021, 11:13.

Comment

My 0-0 outside the UK was in Salt Lake City in 2008. One team scored but it was then disallowed but after the scoreboard had changed. It was the first time I'd ever seen a scoreboard reset to zero.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  I had a run in the late eighties in which I saw seven goalless draws in ten matches.

I stopped attending football for a while after that.
                  Understandable

Comment

Last 0-0 I went to was the last proper matchgoing I did, which was the last match before football was suspended towards the end of the 19/20 season. Bolton, at home, 7 March 2020. So zero matches ago, really, although you could make it one match ago if you counted the Donny game at Plough Lane in November, as that ended 2-2.

Comment

If you'd attended all 51 matches at Euro 2020 you'd only have seen 2 (3 if you include Italy-Austria that was 0-0 at 90 minutes).

Comment

Currently on 37 consecutive games with at least one goal In them, last 0-0 was an eye-bleedingly bad game between Carlisle and Grimsby in December 2019.

Comment

Counting back from that, my previous blank was Liverpool v Bayern, and going back further into 2017/18 takes me to a Bootle v Runcorn Linnets fixture in March 2018 - so if I count forward from that I've seen 2 goalless draws in my last 117 games.

Comment

The first games I saw in 4 different countries ended 0-0 :

Scotland : Hibs 0 Kilmarnock 0 (94/95)
                            Czech Republic : Olomouc 0 Dukla Pribram 0 (98/99)
                            Hungary : MTK Budapest 0 Haladas 0 (2009/2010)
                            Germany : Nurnberg 0 Mainz 0 (2010/2011)

Austria does slightly better, as the first game I saw there was a 1-0 win for Austria Vienna over Ried (2010/2011). The second, a 0-0 between Rapid and Admira in 2016/2017, is in my worst 3 games ever seen.
                            Last edited by jameswba; 14-07-2021, 13:44.

Comment

Record is 42, set in 2015 and 2016. Currently on a run of 34 since Sheffield Wednesday v Reading in February 2019.

Comment

Zero, as mentioned on the other thread.

Comment

My first ever game not at Filbert Street was when a 6 year old me was taken by one of my Aunts families to see Aston Villa and Walsall (her family were big Walsall fans) grind out a 0-0 draw. I didn't attend the equivalent fixture the following season, but the outcome was the same.

Comment

In 04/05, all 4 league matches between St Mirren and Clyde ended 0-0. I was living in London and only went to the consecutive fixtures in March. Thankfully I was back down the road for the next two league fixtures which made 4 in a row.

A total of 8 0-0s that season. It took Gus McPherson a little longer to sort out the attack but given the shambles we'd been in previous seasons, the defence first approach was most welcome.

First game I ever went to was St Mirren 0 Motherwell 0.

Comment

Currently on a run of 35 scoring games, since November 2018 when I saw Hull and Norwich slosh out a goalless affair in conditions that rendered the match more akin to water polo than football.

In terms of consecutive 0-0s, in the summer of 2018 I was in the south (*shudder*) for a while due to my partner's work so took the opportunity to tick off a couple of London grounds, seeing Millwall v Gillingham and Chelsea v Lyon in the space of a week, both of which finished 0-0. However, the former was in the League Cup and the latter was in that international pre-season trophy thingy, so both games went to penalties, meaning I did actually see the ball in the net multiple times on the two evenings. Could most consecutive penalty shootouts be another tangent to this thread?!

Comment

In 1997-98 we drew 5 consecutive league games 0-0, thankfully I only attended 2 of them, but there were two FA Cup games during that run where we won 3-0 and 1-0.

According to this article https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/spor...record-2718403 that is the English league record (Stoke won next game 1-0)

Comment

I had it in mind that Wolves had five successive home 0-0s under Kenny Jackett, but sadly it was only four.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36134561

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post

Ooh. Just the one - Bochum v Kaiserslautern in 2013 - and currently on a run of 44. That's the only 0-0 I've seen away from the UK.
                                            Ha, he has just confirmed he is on 43...

Comment

As per my post in the other thread, I'm currently up to 7 games without a 0-0. The last one I saw was the last game before the initial lockdown.

Comment

I love that the OTF record so far seems to still be shared between the opening two posts (PT and Cantaglo) at an uncanny 61 apiece.

Comment

'Ang on, zero is also a record...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X