You seem familiar – have we met? National League North 2021/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    Is there not an equivalent South thread?
    There has been in the past but not this season, it seems.

Not sure what Conference South club supporters we have on here (aside from Bored who is a less frequent visitor) but something to rectify next season maybe?
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 17-05-2022, 19:22.

Comment

I might be a bit more Corinthian about it were it not for the fact that when we played them during their brief visit to the Football League, at the height of our financial crisis, a fair number of their fans were waving bank notes at us and chanting that they hoped we went bust, compared to many other fanbases who rallied round to help. Also saw them at North Ferriby in the NL North playoffs in 2016 where their travelling support was absolutely vile – racism, homophobia, trying to incite violence, the full works. Consequently... *cue Kevin Keegan speech*

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

There has been in the past but not this season, it seems.

Not sure what Conference South club supporters we have on here (aside from Bored who is a less frequent visitor) but something to rectify next season maybe?
        I used to take a keener interest when I was in Kent and popped along for a few Tonbridge Angels games each season, but since the relocation I’ve just been following the league scores and tables on the BBC website.

Comment

The only time I went to Boston I remember their fans singing "Tony Martin is our friend..." (you can guess the rest).

Comment

Definitely supporting York, the Boston support and the town are pretty vile in my experience, plus York is of course a much easier and more pleasant away trip should I be so inclined.

Boston despite the media proclaiming it a "local derby" when they were in the league, is a massive trek from Scunthorpe, never mind Huddersfield, and not really feasible on public transport. Come on you... Minstermen? Is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
              Come on you... Minstermen? Is that right?
              Yep. And you can see the Minster from about 15 seats in the East Stand at the new place, so it still just about works.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                The only time I went to Boston I remember their fans singing "Tony Martin is our friend..." (you can guess the rest).
                I read this without looking at what the thread was and was wondering why people at Fenway were supporting a German cycling legend. Context is everything...

Comment

Not just me, then

Comment

I'd forgotten about him!

Comment

I've got a question about NL South, and may as well stick it here as there's no dedicated thread this season.

The playoff final is Dorking Wanderers v Ebbsfleet. I know a bit about the latter, and that the current owners are a curious Kuwaiti outfit called KEH - but things seem quite normal there now after the MyFC nonsense. I don't know much about Dorking though: who have had a stellar rise through non-league. I see the owner (and ceo and manager...) is a Marc White: a former Wimbledon fan who set Dorking up when things were going pear-shaped for the Dons around the Franchising time. Can't see anything suggesting he's a super-rich sugar-daddy or Tamplin type, but I wonder if DCI Harry Batt or other OTFers could shed some more light...

Comment

Don't know much about Dorking, but they are being held up by York fans as an example of how to do big-match ticketing well after the absolute fiasco at York over the last 48 hours – Dorking emailed a private link to everyone who bought tickets for their semi to give them a priority window to buy tickets for the final before putting the rest on general sale. A sensible and fair way of doing things.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                          I've got a question about NL South, and may as well stick it here as there's no dedicated thread this season.

The playoff final is Dorking Wanderers v Ebbsfleet. I know a bit about the latter, and that the current owners are a curious Kuwaiti outfit called KEH - but things seem quite normal there now after the MyFC nonsense. I don't know much about Dorking though: who have had a stellar rise through non-league. I see the owner (and ceo and manager...) is a Marc White: a former Wimbledon fan who set Dorking up when things were going pear-shaped for the Dons around the Franchising time. Can't see anything suggesting he's a super-rich sugar-daddy or Tamplin type, but I wonder if DCI Harry Batt or other OTFers could shed some more light...
                          Yes Dorking have plenty of money behind them supposedly from "local sponsors" but it's not clear who they are. They also benefited from absorbing Dorking FC (and took over their ground) who were the traditional established presence in the town and who'd been in and out of the Isthmian League for years.

Comment

I've just referred to Wanderers' and White on this week's matchgoing thread and previously on here, I think. He's a bumptious, ridiculous man and I don't like the smug, arrogant, nouveau riche atmosphere around the club.

I also think it's very dubious that their ground Meadowbank was originally that of the historical club in the area Dorking FC while Wanderers had a jerry-built affair up by Box Hill. The two clubs were meant to share Meadowbank after it was renovated to become the HQ of the Surrey FA but Dorking ceased to exist in peculiar circumstances right before that was due to start and Wanderers became the only tenant.

They certainly throw a lot of money around and have had a squad of former League/Conference players for a few seasons now. I don't know where the funds comes from or how sustainable it is, just that it's been done without any class whatsoever.

Edit ; cross-post with BLT.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post

I didn't know about White supposedly being a former Wimbledon supporter, though that would explain how a few Dons mates of mine know him and the large number of former Wombles at Wanderers. Though given they were formed in 1999 it couldn't have been a direct reaction to the franchising.

It's generally seems like another strike against him though, what kind of Wimbledon supporter throws his weight behind another club rather than putting their efforts in to AFCW?

Comment

The NL have confirmed that both North and South finals will be streamed PPV, yours for a... a-hem... mere 10 pounds.

Comment

York City win the battle of the new grounds, and will come to Ruislip next season.

Comment

Congratulations Jobi1.

Comment

Congrats to Jobi1
                                      IF...Grimsby stay down, I will accompany pal Tony to Gateshead and York

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                        York City win the battle of the new grounds, and will come to Ruislip next season.
                                        As a fan of The Thick of It, I can't wait to visit Ruislip next season, and meet anyone called Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                        X