You seem familiar – have we met? National League North 2021/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You seem familiar – have we met? National League North 2021/22

Like a bewildered hedgehog emerging from a comfortable hibernation in a cosy pile of garden detritus, National League North is stumbling out into the light, blinking, and looking round to see that, curiously, nothing has changed at all (other than the odd shiny [unwanted] new stadium). "We go again", as they say in The Football, with the same line-up of teams as last season. Will we complete a full programme this year? Probably. Will Clayton Donaldson fire York to a glorious title with 78 goals and a guaranteed knighthood, as many City fans seem to think? Undoubtedly not.

Fixtures are out today anyway, so I thought it was time to start a thread. Not sure how much interest there is at this point, but it's here if anyone needs it.

I'm interested, and looking fwd to developing my soft spot for Blyth Spartans

Comment

I'm interested to see how Gloucester City recover this season having been top when football was postponed last season and losing their manager and half the team that got them there.

Comment

I am looking forward to the season resuming, although whether I get to see any live football for the first time since March 2020 remains to be seen. I was hopeful a month or so ago, not so much now, with the current state of play on plague island. I am still marooned on having visited 199 football grounds, and 2 years ago was hoping to get to Farsley to make it 200. Now that's our second game of the season that's doubtful, but you never know, York's new ground might be possible in October.

I suspect it's a pretty open league, I can't see Gloucester being as good as last year, so imagine it might be Fylde or York for the title. We played well last season, if we have managed to find a goalscorer we might have a chance, certainly I am hoping for the play offs to be realistic.

Comment

If you get to York's new stadium, you may spot an unusual celebrity...

https://twitter.com/JoeBillGibbo/status/1407755373344440328?s=20

Comment

I've just booked my train ticket to Weymouth for their opening game v Boreham Wood. Then just Altrincham needed to complete the division again. I'm very excited about all of this.

At some point I have to visit York's new ground, which doesn't interest me at all. I loved Bootham Crescent when I visited. Covid also stopped me visiting Boston's old ground, and I'm seriously pissed off about that.

Comment

Right then, NL Northers, are we all ready to get going? Ah...

https://twitter.com/ChesterFC/status/1425064910069850117

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty Trin View Post
                I've just booked my train ticket to Weymouth for their opening game v Boreham Wood. Then just Altrincham needed to complete the division again. I'm very excited about all of this.

At some point I have to visit York's new ground, which doesn't interest me at all. I loved Bootham Crescent when I visited. Covid also stopped me visiting Boston's old ground, and I'm seriously pissed off about that.
                it's still standing. As is the famous Gliderdrome venue at the back or front, depending on your point of view.

Comment

I'm sure I saw a tweet saying another team was playing at York Street this season?

Comment

I think COVID postponements are going to be the new normal until we get mass immunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Baptiste View Post
                      I'm sure I saw a tweet saying another team was playing at York Street this season?
                      Railway Athletic of the Boston & District League. Their first home game is scheduled to be against Horncastle Town Reserves on September 25th - I suspect at least a couple of tickets might still be available.

Comment

Well that nugget of gold has brightened up my day immensely!

Comment

I fear my preseason prediction of us stumbling to 2nd place and then losing the playoffs may have been wildly optimistic...

Comment

So York lose their first three games of the season for the first time since 1987. And where was our great leader Jason McGill while this was going down? At Malton food fair with Jackie McNamara. I didn't think it was possible to genuinely hate a fellow human being, but I think I do genuinely hate Jason.

Comment

No doubt most Boston fans will be disappointed with their return from the opening three games. No real surprise to see Fylde sitting at the top.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/status/1435291253504188418

Comment

Surely that's illegal?

Comment

Same answer to when you asked previously

Comment

Not me. This is the only thread on which I have asked it.

The relevant UK standard is in the case in the Twitter thread. A tribunal found yesterday that discrimination is established when "flexible working appeared not to be considered properly."

https://news.yahoo.com/estate-agent-...Y3j9Lmpqe_PTbM

Case:

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._as_Manors.pdf
                                      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 07-09-2021, 18:24.

Comment

Interesting

Would not be illegal in the US, and a male applicant at AFC Fylde would presumably not be able to claim sex discrimination the way the estate agent did. I also wonder whether the fact that the "requirement" was explicitly set out as a condition of employment would make a difference in the UK (it would further strengthen the employer's case in the US).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          Same answer to when you asked previously
                                          It was me.

Comment

Should have checked.

Soz.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              Interesting

Would not be illegal in the US, and a male applicant at AFC Fylde would presumably not be able to claim sex discrimination the way the estate agent did. I also wonder whether the fact that the "requirement" was explicitly set out as a condition of employment would make a difference in the UK (it would further strengthen the employer's case in the US).
                                              Paragraphs 96-107 address that specifically:

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._as_Manors.pdf

The requirement is deemed discriminatory because the latest research suggests that around "64% of mothers, compared to 36% of fathers, are the primary carer for their children."
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 07-09-2021, 18:40.

Comment

Which would make it even more likely that a male candidate for the Fylde job couldn't take advantage of that precedent.

I also note that the judgement cites ECJ jurisprudence as binding authority, which is presumably no longer the case in the UK post-Brexit.

Comment

With the off-field rancour at York hotting up, all of those protesting have acknowledged the importance of getting behind the playing/coaching staff who we're sure are trying their best in these difficult circumstances.

Three players plus the assistant manager have been charged with breaching FA rules around betting on football: https://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co....ent-fa-charges

* Insert sighing/shrugging/whatever emoji *

Comment

Working...
                                                  X