Shirt sponsor depreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carlisle:

McEwan Younger 1982-1988 - part of the then dominant Scottish & Newcastle booze group
    Sealy 1988-1992 - mattress manufacturer with local factory. Much hilarity.
    Lloyd 1992-1993 - local motor dealership, cars and agriculture.
    Conway 1993-1995 - local Vauxhall dealership, struck lucky as we won the division in the second year of their deal, so the kit is fondly remembered.
    Stobart / Eddie Stobart 1995-2014 - nationally famous haulage firm, towards the end of their stint it was the longest running sponsorship in the league, or something
    Virgin Trains 2014-2016 - short lived deal with the theoretical advantage of discounted fares for season ticket holders, which only applied at certain times and on certain fares.
    DSD Construction 2016-2017 - even shorter deal, no discounts on building works as far as I remember.
    Edinburgh Woollen Mill 2017-2021 - coincided with EWM completing their move into the city (they already had their distribution centred here, and moved their HQ from the Borders). Part of an overall package of propping the club up financially, which unwound when EWM went into admin.
    Thomas Graham 2021- local construction and engineering firm

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
      You northerners just don't understand pasty culture [winkysmileything/]
      I love how everyone is "northern" from your point of view!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
        I've just seen that Norwich have moved away from Errea for next/this season's kit - which is a shame.
        I'd missed this – do you have a link by any chance Simon?

Comment

Just to make my previous post more lineal:

1994-96 - (Matchwinner) - Empress - Second hand car dealer (no idea where they were based).
          96-97 - (UK) - Endsleigh Insurance - Insurance company who's HQ is in Cheltenham
          97-99 - (Errea) - Endsleigh Insurance
          99-2004 - (Errea) - Towergate Insurance - Insurance company linked to the then chairman's own insurance company
          04-08 - (Errea) - Bence - Builder's Merchants based in the town centre
          08-Present - (Errea) - Mira Showers - Global shower manufacturer with a factory around the corner from the ground.

Our only previous sponsor before I started going was Gulf Oil, which had it's UK headquarters in the town apparently. I couldn't tell you about kit manufacturers though.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

Mita also sponsored Hearts at the same time, including their 1986 season of glorious last hurdle failures in league and cup.
            They had a brief return to shirt sponsorship five years ago with Reading, although they were Kyocera Mita by then.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
              I'd missed this – do you have a link by any chance Simon?
              https://www.footyheadlines.com/2021/...-supplier.html

Although on reading it, it doesn't appear to be as clear cut as I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                Stobart / Eddie Stobart 1995-2014 - nationally famous haulage firm, towards the end of their stint it was the longest running sponsorship in the league, or something
                08-Present - (Errea) - Mira Showers - Global shower manufacturer with a factory around the corner from the ground.
                I was wondering about this, so Mira must be the longest running now then.

Comment

I don't know - I suppose technically it's only 5 years because of our year in the National League in 15/16.

It's the 24 years with Errea I like to bang on about though. I can't imagine there's many clubs worldwide with a longer run of the same kit manufacturer. I know there's Bayern with Adidas, but I struggle after them.

Comment

Oxford United

1981-2 - Sunday Journal (Non-Maxwell free local paper, I think)
                    1982-4 - BPCC and Pergamon alternating (Maxwell printing companies)
                    1984-5 - Sunday People (Maxwell)
                    1985-9 - Wang Computers (Stop sniggering at the back)
                    1989-90 - No sponsor (more of this please)
                    1990-91 - Pergamon (again)
                    1991-2000 - Unipart (car bits)
                    2000-1 - Domino (local internet web agency)
                    2001-10 - Buildbase (Building supplies)
                    2010-3 - Bridle Insurance (local insurance company)
                    2013-4 - Animalates (exercise for kids company owned by the chairman, after a theoretical lottery for shirt sponsorship didn't get any entries)
                    2014-5 - Black n Rounds (apparently a sports tyre supplier)
                    2015-8 - Liontrust (Fund management)
                    2018-20 - Singha Beer (Thai beer linked to owners)
                    2020-1 - Amazing Thailand (Thai tourism authority)

It's depreciated in the Conference Years, but then reappreciated (?) a bit. Impressively no dodgy betting or loan sharks, and only one beer.

Comment

One could of course argue that the Maxwell years represented a bottom of sorts

Comment

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2021/...-supplier.html

Although on reading it, it doesn't appear to be as clear cut as I thought.
                        Ahh, interesting, it does indeed appear to still be ambiguous. We'll have to wait and see what the new kit launch brings.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                          1985-9 - Wang Computers (Stop sniggering at the back)
                          Sorry, but I was exactly the right age at the time to find men running around with WANG on their shirts the most hilarious thing in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

Sorry, but I was exactly the right age at the time to find men running around with WANG on their shirts the most hilarious thing in the world.
                            As was I with this beauty;

Comment

Oxford players with WANG on their shirts really reminds me of the Panini Football 86 album, especially Bobby MacDonald who I had multiple swaps of.

Comment

Working...
                              X