Nobody on the posts at corners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody on the posts at corners

When did the the trend start for having nobody on the posts at corners? Austria​​​​​​’s goal tonight probably wouldn’t have been scored if Italy had had a man on the near post. The same applies to Croatia’s third goal v Scotland - this time nobody covering the back post.

Another thing on corners, who started the habit of placing ball as close to the edge of the marking as possible. I'd bring in a law,that if the referee or assistant decides that it's outside the line, instead of making the player re spot the ball, a goal kick is awarded instead.

Comment

I'd assume the removal of defenders from posts coincided with the drift to zonal marking.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
        Another thing on corners, who started the habit of placing ball as close to the edge of the marking as possible. I'd bring in a law,that if the referee or assistant decides that it's outside the line, instead of making the player re spot the ball, a goal kick is awarded instead.
        At the risk of turning this into an "minor irritations of modern football" thread, you can also add the seeming acceptance of taking throw-ins from about 20.yards up the line from where the ball went out, and opposition players standing in front of the ball to prevent a quick free kick being taken. Oh and goalies being told to take a free kick from further back, moving the ball back and then moving it forward again when the ref's back is turned.

Comment

I thought Italy did have a man on the near post (before it was taken) but when he spotted the corner was dropping short he stepped out, anticipating he could clear it.

Comment

Yeah, even if you have two lads on the post for a corner, if it's hit short those guys are out of there like missiles so when the ball eventually does come in, they're not they're anymore.

Comment

Working...
            X