Brazil v France 1986 Rewatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brazil v France 1986 Rewatch

I am currently 21 minutes in. France have had more of the play but Alemao and Socrates have been sensational in response. Careca's goal deserves to be in their all-time Top 10 moments,as good as anything they did in 1982.

For France, Tigana, Amoros and Giresse have been as good as their reputations but the surprise for me is Stopyra, who is an awesome passer.

This was a wonderful game of football

Comment

It was indeed. Where are you watching that Satchmo, is it on YouTube?

Comment

YouTube, yes. FIFA TV.

#WorldCupAtHome

Comment

I got through to 90 minutes. Tons of chances for both sides; France winning the possession stats but Brazil lightning fast when springing from defensive midfield into attack. France seems to have nobody in a holding midfield role (so are wide open on the turnover) whereas Brazil have two (which puts too much creative onus on Socrates who starts well but fades). Not playing Falcao seems a massive error. John Motson's Man Of The Match was Amoros; I'd agree with that and give honourable mentions to Alemao (as above), Socrates (such fantastic movement, always finds space, then a precise pass) and, curiously, Bats (awful SF but great here). Junior could never defend and resorts to fouling (would not survive defensively today but great going forward obviously). Platini is not fit and the goal is somewhat lucky, the cross deflecting off Edinho's chest (no idea why Edinho doesn't get more on it). A semi-fit Zico taking the pen is odd but perhaps Socrates was knackered at that point - he missed his penalty in the shoot-out?).

Could either side have won the tournament? I think they're both too weak defensively compared to Argentina and West Germany, and France are really buggered without a fully fit Platini. Brazil are caught between two stools: more cautious than 1982 (two holding midfielders rather than 4 bombing forward) but still with Junior, who can't defend, and some odd lapses like weakly chesting that cross that led to Platini's goal.

France had an ageing side for the era. Bossis was the most capped French player ever at the time: he, Platini, Battiston, Giresse and Rocheteau had all been capped before 1978. Hence they would not qualify for another major tournament until 1992.

Comment

Working...
          X