Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    With Austin, Gray, Hendrick and Dunne, when are you renaming yourselves "Burnley South"?

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Expecting a barnburner tonight in W12 as we take on Boro, who must be seriously feeling their oats after the weekend. We OTOH, bar missing Seny Dieng in goal who's just returned from AfCON, can field arguably our best line-up for the first time in over a month. 2,500 traveling down from the North-East should make for a noisy night all round.

1-1 at HT. We conceded in time added, never good. But fair based on the run of play.

2-2 with time added to go. And that's the final score.

A bit lucky TBH. Boro probably the best team we've seen at our place this season.
    Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 09-02-2022, 21:45.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Delicieux
    replied
    Anyway, happy birthday to ex-Bristol City hero and father-in-law of Kelsey 'Frasier' Grammer, Alan Walsh who turns 66 today.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Delicieux
    replied
    Just a quick one, Bristol City were beaten 3-1 by Blackpool yesterday in quite a convincing manner, and as much as I'd accepted Nigel Pearson turning the club into a retirement home for crocked ex-Leicester City players, actively want him to leave now.

The reason?

To quote Pearson yesterday:

"Unfortunately we have players who keep making the same mistakes.
    "Ultimately, if players aren't able to find that sort of solution then it's about changing players."

The chap has been here for a year, where those players who have been making mistakes stayed, and in that time we have barely developed any kind of regular formation or system.
    His way to combat that:- bring in Danny 'can't defend or attack' Simpson, Matty 'made of glass' James and Andy 'sideways passing merchant' King on hefty wages was no kind of solution, but after hearing that yesterday, how he's willing to hang out the players, nah he can get fucked with his drill sergeant haircut while trying to give off an air of being the big alpha dog.

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    Josh Bowler’s goal against Bristol City yesterday was a beauty. Sublime first touch, lovely skill to beat the defender and a measured finish. He looks a very decent player.

Ryan Lowe doing the job he was brought in to do at Preston. I am only basing this on extended highlight extracts but I’ve seen them two or three times recently and they play a good looking passing game and are beginning to show real resilience at the back.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Chiz
    Are these the stands renowned architect and civil engineer Karren Brady commissioned and designed?

(And that rings a bell, too)

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
    Why does ⅔ of St Andrews appear to be shut?
    It's been like that all season. I put some links about it back in August - page 2 of this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Why does ⅔ of St Andrews appear to be shut?

Leave a comment:

• Billy Casper
    replied
    It won't be particularly bad news for me to be honest. I'd much rather see us be competitive in some games rather than losing all the time. The players we have are not fit for purpose and it will be another struggle next season too, but at least I'll be able to see Barnsley at some new grounds.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
    Just a quick update on Barnsley.

We do not create any chances - one shot on target tonight against the worst opposition I've seen for years. At kick off, our eleven starting players had scored a total of two goals between them this season.

We make at least one mistake a game that leads to the other team scoring. Tonight it was their only shot on target.

We won't win another game this season and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't even pick up a single point.
    A Barnsley fan who's son plays for my u11s has already decided he can't wait for next season and is actively hoping Cheltenham stay up so we can have a friendly rivalry game in the team. Also, he wants to take me to Oakwell, which I've never been to.

Obviously, this in no way brightens your day, but as Rodney Trotter explained to Delboy when talking about Miles with the plant supermarkets - it's not bad news for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Been really dire for you guys. It's too bad. I think most watchers of the division would rather Cardiff take the fall.

Leave a comment:

• Billy Casper
    replied
    Just a quick update on Barnsley.

We do not create any chances - one shot on target tonight against the worst opposition I've seen for years. At kick off, our eleven starting players had scored a total of two goals between them this season.

We make at least one mistake a game that leads to the other team scoring. Tonight it was their only shot on target.

We won't win another game this season and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't even pick up a single point.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Delicieux View Post
    I saw news of that chap passing away mentioned by an anti-vax type who blamed it on the jab, never mind that people have been keeling over in the stands for as long as I can remember.
    And always with a sardonic "why has this started happening now? What has changed recently?" line of faux sceptical enquiry. Even though nobody knows if the person who collapsed has been vaccinated or not.

The thing is that now play is stopped. A few seasons back a fan had a heart attack at Shrewsbury. The air ambulance landed on the training pitch 200 yards away. Even so a helicopter coming into land was a major distraction to the players - I thought the ref should have halted the game. But it wasn't in the rules to do so then. Now it is, so people notice more and vaccine sceptics jump on it.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    I remember commenting on here when he signed for Reading that I thought he was a good signing who would be good in the second division.

I was wrong

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Hmm. From last Saturdays match loftforwords match report: "The oversized Romanian really should be counted among the attendance figure, such was the extent of his impact... 2/10"

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    The other Puscas has gone now too.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Originally posted by Sits View Post
    Tom Ince arrives at Reading on loan, and Liam Moore departs on loan. No idea what any of this means.
    For one thing that the Stoke line up featuring Paul Ince's son, Kevin Campbell's son and Ian Wright's grandson (still WTF??) didn't get to play together very often (Ince's contract is up in the summer and won't be renewed).

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    I think that's a fair comparison, is good to see Gray rediscover some form there because he really went off the boil at Watford these past few years.
    I started watching football in 1990 when QPR were in the top division, so I can't help but think that they *should* be up there, much as I've heard the same about Bristol City and the top division, a hark back to the 70's when we last bothered with such things!
    Cheers. It's certainly the most enjoyable season since 2011. I'm not sure I really want us to be "up there." Our most recent forays into the Prem have been miserable, with a legacy that was both expensive and chastening. A Wembley play-off would be nice though.

Leave a comment:

• Fearful Symmetry
    replied
    I saw news of that chap passing away mentioned by an anti-vax type who blamed it on the jab, never mind that people have been keeling over in the stands for as long as I can remember.

On a completely different note, Bristol City achieved the unenviable feat of conceding in second half injury time for the 7th (seventh) time this season in our 2-2 draw at Preston North end.

Despite signing a load of knackered old ex-Leicester City players who are all made of glass, there has been a very, very gradual improvement under Nigel Pearson, which is seeing us compete with teams and actually create more chances on occasion! How fancy!

As the season has progressed I have come to appreciate that half of the teams in this league are really not that good and are merely treading water, buoyed by those afflicted with points deductions and increasingly light squads. I'll be glad when this season is over, I'm totally done with it.
    Sounds very much like Squarehead finds himself in a similar situation to when he took over at Hull City in 2010, although our financial situation was resolved reasonably quickly by the Allams (spit), and there's probably a minimal chance of him running off for 30 pieces of silver at Leicester this time. But yeah, he's been here before, and there's every chance he'll leave your squad in a much healthier state than what he found it in.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Tom Ince arrives at Reading on loan, and Liam Moore departs on loan. No idea what any of this means.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Delicieux
    replied
    I think that's a fair comparison, is good to see Gray rediscover some form there because he really went off the boil at Watford these past few years.
    I started watching football in 1990 when QPR were in the top division, so I can't help but think that they *should* be up there, much as I've heard the same about Bristol City and the top division, a hark back to the 70's when we last bothered with such things!

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Many of us were disappointed when he left, but there was no way we could compete with what City were offering. In a way he would maybe have been better and or no more expensive than Andre Gray is at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Delicieux
    replied
    Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

What's your theory as to what happened there? He was decent for us, streaky for sure but he'd always come good in the end.
    ​There's a few thoughts doing the rounds, I think it's worth mentioning that he's playing for his third manager/coach since joining in January 2020, and there's been no sense of direction in that time, with current manager Nigel Pearson having tried various formations, as did his predecessor Dean Holden, with none of them working particularly well. I don't think it's a coincidence that all of our forwards have fared badly and scored rarely while this has happened. It's only now, some two years later that we're seeing a game plan emerge.

As mentioned, he joined in January 2020 while there was still talk of ambition and wanting to reach the premier League, a conceit we've seemingly abandoned thanks to a financial loss of £38.4 million after the 2020/21 season, compared to £10.1 million for 19/20. Covid and whatnot aside, it has been remarked how large an amount that is, considering that we've generally been a selling club, one who buys thrifty replacements for outgoing personnel.

Which leads me onto the final thought that he's reportedly one of our top three earners, and my feeling that he's being frozen out for that reason, as he's never been given a run of 20-30 games that a striker of his stripe really does need, and it doesn't look as though he's going to get that run now.

​​​​​And to think, when we signed him I thought we'd finally found the missing piece of the puzzle...

​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    That he's made it into the team says much about Nakhi Wells' form disappearing into dust,
    What's your theory as to what happened there? He was decent for us, streaky for sure but he'd always come good in the end.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Delicieux
    replied
    He does. It's rather come out of nowhere as he had flattered to deceive prior to this season, despite quite a few appearances for Bristol City & having experienced loan spells at league one Sunderland and League two Newport county which returned 4 goals in 35 games, a poor return for a striker.
    I'd concluded that he was very much a player buzzing near the action without quite being part of it.

That he's made it into the team says much about Nakhi Wells' form disappearing into dust, and us needing options beyond Chris Martin, who may be the slowest footballer I've ever seen.

Back to Semenyo, he's already being linked with moves away, and with Bristol City losing money for fun can't see us resisting the first half decent bid we receive. It's wild to me that he's being linked with a move, as he's only recently shown he can fulfill his potential but football moves at an ever-increasing pace, so maybe shouldn't find it quite so wild...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X