Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jwdd27
    replied
    Well, Steve Cooper has done OK, but when was the last time he helped get someone's pram off an LNER STANDARD CLASS carriage?

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/...d-24105515.amp

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Leeds v Forest in the top flight will be a reminder of old times, although probably in the bottom half this time. Interesting history to the fixture:

https://www.11v11.com/teams/nottingh...eeds%20United/

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    I thought the first was a definite penalty, and the second probably should have been as well.

With that being said, I'm delighted Forest have gone up - it just seems right to see them in the top tier.

Leave a comment:

• Harbinger of Hope
    replied
    In some good news considering what has happened this week, all the fan interaction I saw was very good natured. I saw no trouble at all. One Huddersfield fan even offered and took a photo of me and my nephew which was nice, and most of the fans we saw post game were very gracious. It also happened to be one of those cases where both sets of fans were getting the same tubes and trains as we were both heading in essentially the same direction to and from the match, so there was opportunity for nonsense, but I certainly didn't see any.

Leave a comment:

• Harbinger of Hope
    replied
    The second one probably was a penalty, but we've had numerous ones like that not given through the season. I think Brennan alone could have had another 7-8 penalties at least. We've also had perfectly good goals ruled out, in important games too. This is the first time I can remember in a long time where we've had the rub of the green with a ref. As many Forest fans have also said, they would have had to convert it as well, which isn't a given in that massive pressure situation against a good penalty saving keeper. In the previous 3 games against Huddersfield this season, we beat them away right after Hughton got sacked under a caretaker manager with a squad mentality at rock bottom. They won the league return 1-0, in a game we bossed and could have scored 6, but we had one of those days where we couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo and then we beat them in the cup pretty convincingly. Going into this I was less worried about them than I was about Sheffield United, and the second leg of the semi was much more nerve wracking. They were never going to be really in our faces and try to use a physical game, which is where we tend to struggle more. I also thought Brennan had one of his worst games of the season, which wasn't great timing and Yates' forward passing seemed to desert him as well particularly in the second half. But then Huddersfield's passing was also quite iffy, I thought it noticeable how many times they passed it straight out for a throw in. With these two managers, it was going to be quite a tactical chess match, quite defensively prudent, few chances, with a few formation changes and style of play changes during the game.

For reference i'm saying all this having been in the third tier and I've not had chance to watch any more than 2 minute download highlights.

Anyway. Very long day, didn't get home until 10:45pm and I was up for work at 5am, so still pretty tired. Well worth it though.

Leave a comment:

• Jobi1
    replied
    Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

It didn't look like he made contact, but it also didn't look like he was trying to simulate contact, more avoid it. If he didn't pull his leg out of the way so violently, and just carries on going, it would have been a nailed on penalty.
    That was my initial reaction, but then there was one angle that showed fairly clearly that the Forest player caught Toffolo's foot (not his shin, which I think is what most people were looking for and hence thought there was no contact), and it was then one of those where that contact seemed to knock his right leg into his own left, causing him to trip, rather than him violently pulling his leg out of the way. Inevitably, the angle that the VAR seemed to watch multiple times on quick repeat before making the decision was a completely unhelpful one that didn't show that contact.

Toffolo did try to sell it a little too much though, which undoubtedly counted against him, but nevertheless it should have been a penalty for me, Clive.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by imp View Post
    On the first call, I can see why he didn't give it - it looks like Toffolo at best made a meal out of it, at worst took a dive. From all the various replays, I couldn't be sure if there was definitely contact. Still, it was absolutely worth another look and a discussion with the VAR booth.
    It didn't look like he made contact, but it also didn't look like he was trying to simulate contact, more avoid it. If he didn't pull his leg out of the way so violently, and just carries on going, it would have been a nailed on penalty. well done to Forest, but my huddersfield supporting neighbour is likely inconsolable. When he speaks in english, it's like he's never set foot outside of huddersfield. When He speaks in irish it's like he never set foot outside of carraroe. It's amazing how he has kept the two accents so utterly distinct.

Leave a comment:

• imp
    replied
    I'm not against it, and I didn't say that I was. I don't like that it was introduced the way it has been - in particular for marginal offside calls which are obviously not "clear and obvious errors". But it's the inevitable result of the modern football industry, whereby decisions on a football field have been assigned a significance far above what is philosophically justifiable. Because of the stupid amounts of cash now in the game, these decisions have now become too financially important to be left to mere mortals.

It's taken the heat and pressure off a lot of referees, which is good for their mental health in a world where a million idiots can take to twitter in a matter of seconds and demand punishment or death. And when our teams benefit from the review of an obvious refereeing cock-up, how many of us complain about it then? (note to TonTon: this is a rhetorical question, you don't have to answer it.)

But it's stressed the need to: 1. rip up and reform the offside law to make it much more advantageous to attackers and 2. go back to the old handball law which was not perfect, but was at least easy to understand and implement, and didn't really need to be 'interpreted'. If Fifa did that, then I think we would need VAR less, and we wouldn't be standing around for two minutes waiting to see if that fucking toe was offside or not.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Clough was a dreadful man, of course.

Glad everyone is against VAR again now. Well done.

Leave a comment:

• 1974ddr
    replied
    Nice to see everyone agreeing with my view on the efficacy of VAR for once

Leave a comment:

• imp
    replied
    The second penalty call was a 100% penalty, a 100% error by Moss, and I have no idea why VAR didn't invite him to take another look with the instruction, "That's a cast iron fucking penalty, and if you want anyone from Huddersfield to ever come into your record shop again, you'd better give it right now, lad."

On the first call, I can see why he didn't give it - it looks like Toffolo at best made a meal out of it, at worst took a dive. From all the various replays, I couldn't be sure if there was definitely contact. Still, it was absolutely worth another look and a discussion with the VAR booth.

Like everyone else, though, I wanted Forest to win. Yep, Clough and Taylor and decent football and childhood memories of him bringing a team up from D2 on a small budget and becoming European champions twice (the closest the European Cup will ever get to Lincolnshire). But besides all that, Huddersfield nicked the Cowley Brothers off Lincoln and then, when they'd saved them from relegation, as per brief, they promptly sacked them too. Shitty behaviour.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Sorry but "Hefele" makes me think "Heffalump" and now I'm giggling internally.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Mallorca Mann

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    He appeared to have buttoned it up after a half time ad break, I imagine there were viewer complaints.

He's on the pitch now and has paired the outfit with patent leather ankle boots.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Close up of what appears to be a strap emanating from inside the jacket ;

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Rewound the coverage (which meant I suffered that Mason Mount dancing Trivago ad which was excruciating) and here it is ;

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Having some experience of German tailoring, an "eccentric" approach wouldn't surprise me at all.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Double breasted jackets always have an internal fastener.
    Yes, I used to occasionally wear them in the eighties but this appeared to be far from the normal set up. Attempting to find pictures.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Not the best weekend for Huddersfield sports fans.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Double breasted jackets always have an internal fastener.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Who is the German with the awful hair, moustache & glasses and suit jacket with the bizarre fastening?

Former Huddersfield manager?
    Ah, it's a Michael Hefele.

https://twitter.com/ishujaahmedch/status/1530922741196591106?s=21&t=GKSszVwL4z0Gclhg86O9xA

The bizarre fastening may be a waistcoat or an internal one on the jacket.

He just said that he (jokingly admittedly) told Steve Cooper that getting Forest up would be worthy of securing the England job, which I'm not sure Cooper will have appreciated. Edit : ah, forgot about Cooper's past coaching England's age group sides.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 29-05-2022, 18:09.

Leave a comment:

• ale
    replied
    Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Wednesday's first game back in the first division after 14 years away was at home to Forest at the beginning of the 84/85 season. I was there and it was a curious mixture of celebration, being out in the sun (it was a gorgeous day) and a massively toxic mutual emnity between fans none of which had any football related content.

We won 3-1 too,though it almost felt secondary
    Imre Varadi on fine form as I recall

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    A season can't end without Paul Tierney completely fucking up VAR yet again.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Oh, Sorba's crying. That's awful, I loves Sorba.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 29-05-2022, 18:00.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Forest and Leeds together in the top flight has a real throwback feel to it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X