One 'F' in Fulham - Division Two 2021/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
    I think the money lending thing was a bit small time for Dell, though he was certainly interested in club ownership. His mates also lent Derby a few quid during lockdown. Southampton too. I’m sure they were also linked with lending to other clubs.
    Burnley's takeover was part-financed by a loan from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
      Ansells make rubber gloves and condoms in Australia.
      As well as beer? That's genuine diversification

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

As well as beer? That's genuine diversification
        Large amounts of one product can sometimes lead to the requirement of another.

Comment

https://twitter.com/SkySports/status/1439263001270538243?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1439263001270538243%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.walesonline.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Ffootball-news%2Fanyone-find-shin-floating-luton-21613456%2Fembedded-webview%2Fwalesonline-21613440

Manning kicks the ball away but the reaction of Lansbury is something else.

Comment

I brought this up on the Armchair thread as I saw it on the highlights...and thought it deserved a potentially wider audience.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check it out. What was the consensus?

Comment

That Lansbury should have been sent off, with some notable dissent
                Last edited by ursus arctos; 19-09-2021, 17:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                  Thanks, I'll check it out. What was the consensus?
                  Condemnatory, apart from EIM strangely.
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 19-09-2021, 17:27.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the UK is the only country in Europe where there would be a debate.

It struck me as something out of the Wild West of Brazilian domestic football.

Comment

I didn't watch the match, but Manning isn't a wind-up merchant who goes out of his way to antagonise the opposition. I don't see how that can be anything except a red card.

Comment

The most striking thing for me was that it was after only 28 minutes

There was also this from the same match

https://twitter.com/mirrorfootball/status/1439484402061303808?s=21

Comment

There were a few other instances of players being racially abused yesterday, by fans, yet this one didn't make the mainstream media. No idea why.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            The most striking thing for me was that it was after only 28 minutes

There was also this from the same match

https://twitter.com/mirrorfootball/status/1439484402061303808?s=21
                            Luton has never been well-known for it's liberal-minded football supporters

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                              The three suspended points are for failing to pay their players on time last season. It's suspended until January.

No-one seems to know whether they'll apply the whole lot this season or whether it could be twelve this year and twelve next. The EFL statement indicates that they've *really* pissed the league off. They probably think it's Mel Morris trying to pull shenanigans again. For all we know, he might be.
                              Apparently Morris gave an interview to Radio Derby today in which he confirmed that the three sets of accounts they've got to refile, but still haven't, despite an August deadline, will breach the FFP regulations leaving them facing a further points deduction on top of the 12+9 they're already getting. It's not unrealistic that Derby will get docked north of 30 points this season.

Comment

They would be much better off concentrating all of the penalties in a single season

Comment

I think they'll want it all docked this season so they can restart from zero next season. Really unfair on Rotherham this.

Comment

I think they'll want it all docked this season so they can restart from zero next season. Really unfair on Rotherham this.
                                    Not quite zero. Administration comes with a two years transfer embargo and an agreed business plan. Right now they have no owner, so Division Three will be no picnic either.

Comment

Technically it was Wycombe who were the team that would have stayed up

Comment

Yeah. if a club's accounts were bad in 2018, then they're only going to be substantially worse now. Like I say, £60m debt was the figure being bandied about in May, but administration brings out every last creditor. The end figure is always higher. And, of course, the years to 2019 and 2020 will see substantial deterioration, especially 2020, because that sees the start of the pandemic. The year to 2021 will be the one to watch, though. A full year of pandemic. There's going to be fireworks in a lot of Championship club accounts, next time around. But Derby's administrator will release their list of unsecured creditors in a few weeks and we'll know exactly how bad they are.

They sold the ground to their owner, and now the walls are tumbling down. They'd better keep their fingers crossed that everybody has got the club's best interests at heart. They didn't even get anything much for it other than on paper. All it did was offset money they'd already unsuccessfully spunked on players. I don't know whether it's a good thing that the club no longer owns the ground or not. If they did, it would be an asset in any insolvency and would add to the sale price of the club, or it could be sold to some property developer cunt before you could say "New Ikea Superstore". It's difficult to imagine it not being mortgaged to high fuckery, though.

It's a mess that's been a long time coming, and they all seemed to believe the hype. A section of the fan base is still blaming Steve Gibson and the EFL, even as it becomes increasingly clear that the club is even more of a basket case than we'd feared. The EFL is ultimately its member clubs, and they're clearly feeling heat from other clubs at the way in which Derby have been conducting themselves, but it's a situation entirely of their own making.

Where Derby are now is a result of a culture in which they seemed to believe that they could make the rules up as they went along, and batter anybody who got in their way in court. The ground sale thing was a farce, which was absolutely cheating the spirit of the laws around FFP, and all it achieved was cover to Mel Morris's profligacy and maladministration of the club in the accounts. The amortisation thing was exactly the same, and they've been done bang to rights on that.

Not paying their players on time is just bad financial planning. Morris himself admits that the club is losing £1.5m a month. What the hell? They only get about £6-7m in TV money a year. After five months of that level of losses, they've spent all their TV money. Yet they were paying tens of thousands of pounds a week to players, all money that they might as well have just thrown on a bonfire. Hell, at least it might have kept someone warm, if they'd done that. A lot of fans should have seen this coming and called it out, it was there in plain view, but a lot of people seem to have just latched onto the fact that he's Morris fan and has a lot of money and decided he could do no wrong from there. It was obvious from the outside and obvious from the outset that this couldn't end well.

He's been saying that it's all to do with his being willing “to effectively let the club go for no return to me” in terms of the sale of the club. It doesn't really make any sense and he doesn't explain it. The club is in administration because they ran up huge losses over a vast period of time and, rather than seeking to address those issues and risk a short-term hit to their chances of making the Premier League, they chose to carry on gambling. But it was utterly dependent on getting into the Premier League. And in all honesty, the return was terrible. One third place finish (they were eight points off second in 2014), one fifth place and two sixth places. That's really only one sustained run at an automatic promotion place in eight years.

I don't think "fuck 'em" about about any club in this sort of predicament, but there a couple have pushed my resolve, and Derby were one of them.
                                        Last edited by My Name Is Ian; 19-09-2021, 19:47.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                                          The EFL is ultimately its member clubs, and they're clearly feeling heat from other clubs at the way in which Derby have been conducting themselves, but it's a situation entirely of their own making.
                                          Quite. The EFL bears a degree of responsibility as well though. Mainly for letting this situation drag on for as long as it has.

Comment

I think some of that is down to fear as to what a fair examination of all of the member clubs' books would reveal

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Technically it was Wycombe who were the team that would have stayed up
                                              Thanks, I'd forgotten that.

Comment

I hadn't. But I'm less than surprised that a self-confessed supporter of Evil remembered it...

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  I think some of that is down to fear as to what a fair examination of all of the member clubs' books would reveal
                                                  I can only speak for QPR, but for the past couple of years (at least) when asked about the situation at Derby, Reading and elsewhere, CEO Lee Hoos's teeth can almost be heard grinding, as he answers.

Comment

I don't understand how Swansea have had to sell so many players yet other clubs who came down at the same time or never even got PL money or parachute payments can still splash the cash. I know that Stoke, Bournemouth and Fulham have sugar daddies but even so.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X