National Teams With The Most Players Who Were Born Elsewhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Teams With The Most Players Who Were Born Elsewhere

This is really about the effects of diaspora, where a huge proportion of the population had to migrate to survive or live safely or just make a decent living. Kosovo might be a contender, but I was also wondering if Vietnam was allowed to pick descendants of those who fled in the late 70s. Ireland is obvious but can it be beaten?

It can also be about how well countries and federations integrate those born abroad.

Switzerland being a good example.

Though one needs to come up for rules as to how to define teams. Squads named for major tournaments?

In that case, I would think that Charlton's Irish teams would take some beating.

And what do we do about the emergence of new countries? For a couple of decades after the fall of communism, none of the players representing the former Soviet republics, former Yugoslav republics or Baltic states would have been born in the country they were representing.

Comment

Turkey is another contender, there's been a reliance on foreign born players for a long time and this happens both at club and national teams level. There's a belief that the Gurbetçiler are better because they've come through academy systems abroad.

Turkey has 6 out of 23 born and raised abroad. They are:

Kaan Ayhan Germany
      Mert Müldür Austria
      Hakan Çalhanoğlu Germany
      Orkun Kökçü Netherlands
      Kenan Karaman Germany
      Halil Dervişoğlu Netherlands
      Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 23-06-2021, 04:57.

Comment

NI squads typically include about 30% of players who've never lived there

At Euro 2016, we had as many players from Solihull as Belfast
        Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 23-06-2021, 05:56.

Comment

Wales have 10/23 born outside of Wales:

Tyler Roberts - Born in Gloucester
          Kieffer Moore - Born in Torquay
          Ethan Ampadu - Born in Exeter
          Joe Morrell - Born in Ipswich
          David Brooks - Born in Warrington
          Daniel James - Born in Hull
          Rhys Norrington Davies - Born in Riyadh
          Adam Davies - born in Rinteln, Lower Saxony
          Chris Mepham - born in Hammersmith
          Matthew Smith - born in Redditch

Comment

Significantly higher than Switzerland or Turkey (5/6, I think)

Comment

Number of foreign born in Irish major tournament squads

13/20 in 1988

15/23 in 1990

16/23 in 1994.

It should be noted this includes Paul McGrath, whose mum took him back to Dublin when he was a week old, and 1994 includes Alan Kernaghan, who moved to Down at 4.

2002: 12/23

2012: 7/23 (Gibson and McClean both counted as foreign-born --- oooh, controversial!!)

2016: 9/23 (again, NI-born players counted as foreign)

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

13/20 in 1988

15/23 in 1990

16/23 in 1994.

It should be noted this includes Paul McGrath, whose mum took him back to Dublin when he was a week old, and 1994 includes Alan Kernaghan, who moved to Down at 4.

2012: 7/23 (Gibson and McClean both counted as foreign-born --- oooh, controversial!!)

If theyve lived in Ireland since age 4 they're Irish. I'm uncomfortable with any suggestion that Blood and Soil trump's that
                Darron who?

Comment

I agree, but with the NI born and/or reared players, it made things awkward so I went with an objective standard over a subjective one.

Comment

Flynnie I'm more relaxed about that than many NI fans. Gibson and McClean didn't want to play for us. Fine, bye bye
                    My feeling about Paul McGrath would be the same if he'd arrived as a young teenager. Still a child, not a mercenary

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
                      Wales have 10/23 born outside of Wales:

Tyler Roberts - Born in Gloucester
                      Kieffer Moore - Born in Torquay
                      Ethan Ampadu - Born in Exeter
                      Joe Morrell - Born in Ipswich
                      David Brooks - Born in Warrington
                      Daniel James - Born in Hull
                      Rhys Norrington Davies - Born in Riyadh
                      Adam Davies - born in Rinteln, Lower Saxony
                      Chris Mepham - born in Hammersmith
                      Matthew Smith - born in Redditch
                      The Daiaspora.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

13/20 in 1988

15/23 in 1990

16/23 in 1994.

You can tell James McClean that he's foreign born if you like.......

Comment

Not football, but there don't seem to be many Qatari-born players in their national handball team.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post

You can tell James McClean that he's foreign born if you like.......
                            I have the same views on unification he does, but like I said I went with an objective standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post

If theyve lived in Ireland since age 4 they're Irish. I'm uncomfortable with any suggestion that Blood and Soil trump's that
                              Darron who?
                              Taking a different code, Ronan O'Gara and Jamie Heaslip were born in San Diego and Tiberias, respectively, but no-one would consider them to be "foreign" players. The most intriguing senior international would be Ryan Johansson, born in Luxembourg to an Irish mother and Swedish father.

Comment

The OP very clearly states an objective standard - the very one that Flynnie has used.

The rest is noise (for purposes of the thread).

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post

Taking a different code, Ronan O'Gara and Jamie Heaslip were born in San Diego and Tiberias, respectively, but no-one would consider them to be "foreign" players. The most intriguing senior international would be Ryan Johansson, born in Luxembourg to an Irish mother and Swedish father.
                                  He has an Irish parent, so surely it shouldn't make any difference if he's born in Luxembourg orLondon

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                    Turkey is another contender, there's been a reliance on foreign born players for a long time and this happens both at club and national teams level. There's a belief that the Gurbetçiler are better because they've come through academy systems abroad.

Turkey has 6 out of 23 born and raised abroad. They are:

Kaan Ayhan Germany
                                    Mert Müldür Austria
                                    Hakan Çalhanoğlu Germany
                                    Orkun Kökçü Netherlands
                                    Kenan Karaman Germany
                                    Halil Dervişoğlu Netherlands
                                    I haven't much to contribute to the thread other than to note that AE's post would have been illegible before diacritical marks were restored.

Comment

Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau: How Wales are assimilating their non-Welsh players

Robert Page and his team are determined new recruits born outside Wales should understand the people they represent
                                      Because Wales are the Borg.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football...-welsh-players

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        That's a nice articule but describing English (or elsewhere)-born players as "non welsh" (from the URL - if not the headline) can fuck off tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          The OP very clearly states an objective standard - the very one that Flynnie has used.

The rest is noise (for purposes of the thread).
                                          Yes, I totally reject blood and soil, as do (hopefully) all of us; the thread is about measuring the effects of diaspora, which clearly increased after the war in ex-Yugoslavia but has been affecting the Irish since, probably, Cromwell but certainly the potato famine (and the British culpability in that event).

Comment

Bizarre Löw Triangle It is in the headline.

I was born in England to Welsh parents and always grew up knowing I was Welsh. (And a quarter Viking of course, through my Grandma)

Comment

Working...
                                            X