No Frills, Handy For The Hills - Non-Euros Matchgoing 21st June onwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Frills, Handy For The Hills - Non-Euros Matchgoing 21st June onwards

My disappointment at missing the final of the Dore Shield between Chapel Town and High Lane at New Mills' ground last Thursday has been offset somewhat by the fact I'm able to watch the same two teams contest the final of the Lawrence Cup at the same venue this evening. I'm expecting goals.

Not going to a match this week - I'm just popping in to express my appreciation for the thread title.

Which of those two trophies is the more coveted, AH?

Comment

I haven't a clue to be honest, nor is the internet much help. I intend to ask tonight though.

Comment

Ok so the Dore Shield is the annual competition for Premier Division clubs, the Lawrence Cup is just for the teams finishing in the top four and is apparently the more prestigious of the two.

Comment

I watched Wrea Green lose 3-1 to Ribchester in the Catforth Summer League this evening. This was played on The Green in Wrea Green, a village between Kirkham and Warton, with ducks from the adjoining pond occasionally coming over for a look. The home side are the one of the few sides that uses teal for their home shirts.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
            I watched Wrea Green lose 3-1 to Ribchester in the Catforth Summer League this evening. This was played on The Green in Wrea Green, a village between Kirkham and Warton, with ducks from the adjoining pond occasionally coming over for a look. The home side are the one of the few sides that uses teal for their home shirts.
            Must be handy having the nearby pond as a source of material then.
            Last edited by Me Old Flower; 22-06-2021, 02:21.

Comment

Chapel Town 3-1 High Lane
              Hope Valley League Lawrence Cup Final

HMHB weren't wrong about New Mills - town and ground - but there was no shortage of skill on display at Church Lane as Chapel Town prevented High Lane from adding a third and final trophy to the two they've won this season already.

Deservedly leading at half time Chapel must have feared the worst when early in the second half a cross shot from the left sailed into the top corner of their net to draw High Lane level. Chances came and went at both ends before the ref - a fat Jack Grealish, observed a wag in the crowd - correctly overruled his assistant to give a penalty for a trip when the latter had flagged for a corner. Penalty duly and convincingly dispatched, a third goal was swiftly added from a breakaway to settle a final well worthy of the whopping hunk of silverware it was played for.

Comment

I watched Wrea Green lose 3-1 to Ribchester in the Catforth Summer League this evening.
                I love Southport Zeb's posts, but sometimes I can't rid myself of the suspicion that he's a fictional user going to watch games in leagues and places that don't really exist.

Comment

Is there a website that lists all games in the U.K.? Not just for these summer leagues but for real life?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
                    Is there a website that lists all games in the U.K.? Not just for these summer leagues but for real life?
                    Signing up to Futbology is the easiest access point for fixtures that I'm aware of. It lists all fixtures on any given date at increasing distance from your location. Only goes down to non league step 6 though, for everything below it's a case of having to check individual leagues' websites or the FA Full Time page for each league.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post

Signing up to Futbology is the easiest access point for fixtures that I'm aware of. It lists all fixtures on any given date at increasing distance from your location. Only goes down to non league step 6 though, for everything below it's a case of having to check individual leagues' websites or the FA Full Time page for each league.
                      Cheers. I’ll have a look.
                      Having been locked down since the week before lockdown 1 as were both asthma sufferers I’m determined that next season will be the one that I finally watch football in as many different levels or competitions as possible in one season. It’s something I’ve been threatening for a long time now.

Comment

High St Books in New Mills us well worth a visit, btw. Lovely view when you leave Central station.

Comment

Not football but I'll be attending Featherstone v Newcastle in the RL Championship on Saturday evening, for my first live sport (apart from when I've wandered past Carlisle Cricket Club of a Sunday recently) since Boxing Day and first live RL match since (I think) late 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                            I love Southport Zeb's posts, but sometimes I can't rid myself of the suspicion that he's a fictional user going to watch games in leagues and places that don't really exist.
                            I used to think the same, but occasionally he chucks in a few places I know about (like Ribchester) to throw us off the scent.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post

I wonder how much business Princess Cruises bring in from advertising at Step 6 non league games?

Comment

Maybe from men of a certain age on a wet afternoon thinking, "What the fuck am I doing standing here watching this shit? I'm off round the world on a cruise."

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                  but occasionally he chucks in a few places I know about (like Ribchester)
                                  That you know about from Roy of the Rovers / Michael Hardcastle books?

Comment

Yes, he should have alliterated them to Ribchester Rovers.

If I make a million quid and can smuggle it out of our account without frau imp noticing, I promise to come and take over Ribchester and take them up to the big(ger) time, but only on the condition that they're re-named Ribchester Rovers. And that for our first game in the Football League, I'm allowed on the subs' bench and can come on for the last five minutes. And possibly some other Mad Millionaire things I haven't thought of yet. A prawn sandwich dispenser in the players' lounge in the image of a life-sized Roy Keane.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post

That you know about from Roy of the Rovers / Michael Hardcastle books?
                                      Played cricket there a few times when I was a kid.

Comment

Passion project of mine that will never see the light of day: A Simon Inglis style Football Grounds of Great Britain, but featuring fictional clubs from RotR, Michael Hardcastle, Yesterday's Hero etc,

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                          Yes, he should have alliterated them to Ribchester Rovers.

If I make a million quid and can smuggle it out of our account without frau imp noticing, I promise to come and take over Ribchester and take them up to the big(ger) time, but only on the condition that they're re-named Ribchester Rovers. And that for our first game in the Football League, I'm allowed on the subs' bench and can come on for the last five minutes. And possibly some other Mad Millionaire things I haven't thought of yet. A prawn sandwich dispenser in the players' lounge in the image of a life-sized Roy Keane.
                                          Their Mid-Lancashire League team are called Ribchester Rovers. I went there last month and saw a throw in have to be retaken because the first attempt went into the branches of a tree overhanging the pitch.

Comment

Cheadle Town 1-0 Bury.

Comment

has wingco stolen your log-in? I can't tell anymore.

Comment

Got my E-ticket for Bohs v St Patrick's Athletic for next Friday 2/7/21. It will be my first game as a regular punter since March 2020.

Comment

Those of you who think I make up leagues and teams, let me tell you about my trip last night to watch Unicorn win the Wensleydale League (known to locals as the "cheese league").

The Wensleydale League is made up of ten clubs, from Hawes in the west to Catterick in the east. Unicorn are based at a pub in Richmond, although they play most of their games in Brompton-on-Swale, and they needed to win by at least two goals to take the title (otherwise Richmond Town Reserves, who have finished their fixtures, would be champions). A win for Unicorn was always likely as their opponents were Leyburn Town, who are second bottom and who lost the reverse fixture 7-0 last month.

Leyburn don't play in Leyburn - they used to play at a school but that agreement came to an end. Eventually they found a new home in neighbouring Middleham, who haven't had a team of their own for a number of years. Middleham is best known for its castle, birthplace of Richard III, which is located behind one of the goals. The other end overlaps the cricket field, meaning that about a third of the pitch is cut slightly shorter than the rest.

As for the match, as expected Unicorn were much the better side. They had several good chances in the opening minutes, but the final touches suggested they wanted to tire out the home keeper by repeatedly sending him to retrieve the ball from all over. About twenty minutes in Unicorn finally scored, although few would have predicted that their keeper would be the scorer - he took a free kick in his own half which bounced over everyone in the box and into the net. Having been shown where the goal was, the Unicorn strikers scored a couple of more conventional goals before half time. The second half was largely more of the same, although Leyburn did manage to score one. Full time saw Unicorn as 5-1 winners, and the surprisingly large league trophy presented.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X