The new WSC for July/August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new WSC for July/August

Is here. Slight damage to packaging as it's raining today leading to a minor tear in the cover. Stuff to suit fans of Brentford, Cambridge, amateur football and Steve Bruce. Season in Brief is from Spain.

I was going to start this thread a couple of hours ago but then remembered that I promised it to you ​​​​​​

Comment

Glad it's July/August because that's probably when mine will arrive. Not that I should complain as a contributor getting a free sub. In fact I'm feeling a bit guilty about that given how little I've written for them of late. I should volunteer to pay my sub so that I can have a proper moan about the magazine arriving late.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
        fans of ... Steve Bruce
        WSC has gone downhill since they cut OTF from their media portfolio.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
          Glad it's July/August because that's probably when mine will arrive. Not that I should complain as a contributor getting a free sub. In fact I'm feeling a bit guilty about that given how little I've written for them of late. I should volunteer to pay my sub so that I can have a proper moan about the magazine arriving late.
          Serious question. Do you know why it takes so long? Because whenever I've sent a postcard from Germany to the UK it always seems to arrive within two days at the most. Though I've not done this since we cut ourselves off.

Comment

I've no idea - it's been highly variable since Brexit, and even more so since Covid. Private Eye is arriving very promptly these days, by contrast. It's probably down to whichever 'postal provider' they use. WSC can be either quickish, really late, or - one a few occasions - a complete no-show.

Comment

There’s an apology about the foreign postage situation in the new issue. Seems it is down to costs and using “an unacceptably slow service in error”.

Comment

But what about the smell of the cover?...

Not sure I agree that high profile mistakes scuppered Joe Hart's time at Burnley. He was made a scapegoat by a certain section of the fans who really need someone to pick on, but he was seen as the reason for the defence losing all solidity. The fact that Ben Mee and James Tarkowski were playing like a couple who were going through a very acrimonious divorce, and the rest of the team deciding it didn't like defending any more and he shipped quite a few goals, while stopping many more.

It's brushed a litte under the carpet these days, but after shipping 5 at home to Everton, the manager did the desperation move of all managers in trouble, which was chucking a different goalie and "the kids" in. The goalie was a returning Tom Heaton and the kid was Dwight McNeil and I still say that Dyche got very lucky that day.

Comment

Weirdly, the cover of mine was ripped but the envelope was fine so it must have been like that when it was packed.

I haven't read the Joe Hart article yet. I'm hoping it's kind. I have a residual loyalty to one of Salop's own.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    Weirdly, the cover of mine was ripped but the envelope was fine so it must have been like that when it was packed.

Same. Hmmmmm.

Comment

It was an odd rip too. More like someone put a thumb through the cover rather than a tear from an edge

Comment

Mine too. It's a clean tear by the "A fan turned manager" text on the left side, with no lifting of the print or signs of adhesion.

Comment

Crikey. Like this?

Comment

Practically the same tear on mine. I assumed it was due to how the magazine had been shoved through the letterbox in such a way that it all got crumpled when I opened the door.

Comment

Exactly the same tear on mine. Must have been a problem at the mailing house

Comment

So you can all apologise for the nasty things you were thinking of shouting at the postman.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                  Crikey. Like this?
                                  That is spookily similar.

Maybe I watched too many cold war sci-fi films at an impressionable age, but it strikes me that the most plausible explanation is that the aliens have been living unnoticed among us for some time now and might have continued to do so had one of them working at the magazine distributors not forgotten to put his human hand back on after lunch. All we have to do now is convince the authorities.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

That is spookily similar.

Maybe I watched too many cold war sci-fi films at an impressionable age, but it strikes me that the most plausible explanation is that the aliens have been living unnoticed among us for some time now and might have continued to do so had one of them working at the magazine distributors not forgotten to put his human hand back on after lunch. All we have to do now is convince the authorities.
                                    I agree. I really can't be doing with conspiracy theories like Patrick Thistle's

Comment

Hahaha you guys. I for one welcome our reptilian media overlords.

Comment

Mine was ripped too, tho I was just pleased it arrived as we were about to set off to Annan for the week- bit of a tradition to take the latest WSC away on holiday

Though I don't get to leave it in an exotic foreign apartment or hotel this year

Comment

Mine seems to have slipped through the lizard's scaly clutches and is unripped, but it will also be my holiday read in sunny Scotland (in my case, just outside Dundee).

Comment

I'm going to be taking mine on holiday as well. Had a quick glance and my letter to the editor didn't make the cut.

There's an opportunity to glimpse beyond the veil and learn more about the legendary writer of WSC letters, Tim Manns, as he includes some personal details in this month's epistle.

Comment

How bizarre, my front cover has exactly the same rip too.

Comment

Mine too, I wonder if there was an issue with the machine (presumably) that puts them in the envelopes.

Comment

No sign of it in Dublin shops. I wonder if they turned up like that and were returned as unsellable.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X