Phrases You Learned From Football Commentaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phrases You Learned From Football Commentaries

Giving someone "the bird" - derisive whistling by a crowd: 1978 World Cup opening game, ITV.

I'm pretty sure that my mates and I, aged 9, started to excessively use the verb 'to penalise' during the 1974 World Cup.

Comment

early doors
      cultivated left foot
      bread 'n butter mop-up
      tackled and beaten

Comment

"He'll be disappointed with that" to describe any action that is particularly inept.

Comment

Tyldesley - that's Clive to some, Ally - came out with "cool as the other side of the pillow" today. He sounded so pleased with himself when he said it that I thought he'd had it written for him specially by an underling and chosen it as a show stopper, and was giving it its world debut. But, apparently, it's a thing.

Comment

I remember Merson saying it on a Sky saturday show

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              Giving someone "the bird" - derisive whistling by a crowd: 1978 World Cup opening game, ITV.
              See also ‘stick’ - in the sense of giving someone a hard time.

I’ve never heard of anyone giving anyone else ‘stick’ other than in a football context, but it stands to reason that it exists elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                early doors
                cultivated left foot
                bread 'n butter mop-up
                tackled and beaten
                Figs got early doors in early doors.

maybe i can pull something back in those killer minutes before half time

Comment

"Purchase" is used in a way that seems unique to football. The closest I can find in a dictionary is when you have a foothold on a rock (which is "a purchase" rather than just "purchase"), but in football it seems to mean the "power and acceleration" a shot acquires when the player has managed to really "wrap hit/her foot around" the ball.

Comment

handbags

Comment

Put it into the mixer.

Comment

"Foot race".

The first word in that phrase is surely redundant - as it is in other similar contexts, including actual track and field events.

Comment

I always heard it as an Edwardianism (real or imagined) with the first word to distinguish the contest from one involving horses or bicycles.

Comment

But surely redundant- absurdly so- in football, pending the much to be desired introduction of Rollerball style armoured motorbikes into the game

Comment

I don't recall ever having heard "foot race". I guess I don't watch enough telly.

Comment

ajudged

Comment

Purchase

As in "grip", rather than "buy"

Edit:

(And as in SD)

But.

While we're on the subject of ITV commentaries, casual and overt racism from co-commentators / live action summarises.

(Something to do with relatives being "up trees" wasn't it, IIRC?)
                                  Last edited by Guy Profumo; 19-06-2021, 12:32.

Comment

I might have learned "naive" from racist pundits.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                      I might have learned "naive" from racist pundits.
                                      "Happy-go-lucky"

Comment

'Pockets of space' as in 'De Bruyne, looking to exploit pockets of space in front of the back line'.... 'Channels' as in ' Teemu Pukki runs the channels tirelessly'

Comment

"Touch tight" - close by.

Perhaps unfairly, I lay the blame for many of these at Andy Townsend's feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

"Happy-go-lucky."

Different sport but same principle: Calypso cricketers. Make 'em grovel.

Comment

" He really has " which has just taken over from " take a bow son" in manufactured Sky awfulness.

Comment

'In and around' including when used to refer to one player, which conjures all manner of images
                                                word, not a phrase, but 'aplomb' as in 'he's taken that chance with aplomb'. Never heard that word anywhere else.

The one I'm not a fan of is 'it's a big ask'
                                                If I never heard that again I'd be happy. Well, slightly less miserable.

Comment

Right, here we go lads, fill yer boots:

The OTF Football Dictionary thread

e.g.
                                                  Originally posted by pat51 View Post
                                                  'Channels' as in ' Teemu Pukki runs the channels tirelessly'
                                                  Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                  OTF Football Dictionary

Channels

The parts of the pitch towards the outer edges (viewed end on), which are not actually channels.
                                                  Last edited by Various Artist; 20-06-2021, 23:22.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X