Going Downhill Forever - Scottish Fitba Season 2021/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi AMMS, long time no see.

I have absolutely no doubt that Talbot will show up in the playoff with the side at the bottom of D2 some time in the next few years, but for now they're in tier 6, so to beat a side in tier 2 (even a crap one like the current HAFC team) is staggering.

Also nice to see the Bankies victory today - just wish GdSC was still around these parts to revel in it!

Comment

The Scottish second tier looks amazing at the moment. Clubs 1 to 5 are in the 27-29 point range, while clubs 6-10 are in the 12-13 point range. I don't think I've ever seen that anywhere.

Clydebank get Annan in the Cup, Auchinleck host Hearts and Banks O'Dee are playing Raith.

Comment

Originally posted by Belhaven View Post
        The Scottish Championship has an interesting look at the moment. Two points separating the top 5, then a fourteen points gap down to number six, and then one point separating the bottom 5. No mid-table obscurity in this division.
        Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
        The Scottish second tier looks amazing at the moment. Clubs 1 to 5 are in the 27-29 point range, while clubs 6-10 are in the 12-13 point range. I don't think I've ever seen that anywhere.
        I was going to point this out, but both of you have beaten me to it.

What makes this really odd is that traditionally the 10-team divisions in Scotland create a situation where only a handful of points at most separate the teams chasing the title from those fighting relegation. This kind of yawning chasm between the top and bottom halves of the table isn't just unusual - it's totally unprecedented.

Comment

Another round of fixtures gone and St Mirren still can't score a goal. And just to rub it in, former striker Danny Mullen is banging them in for Dundee. Whilst it's not anywhere near the craziness of the Championship, only 7 points separate Hibs in 6th and Ross County at the bottom.

I also second the thumbs-up for the Bankies - the mere mention of their name always brings back memories of Ken Eadie (bugger always scored against us) and their old baldy 'keeper Jim Gallacher.

Comment

For any gamblers on here there was a very easy double to be had with Talbot and Bankies.

Comment

Fort William, currently bottom of the Highland League with 1 point and a goal difference of -57 have appointed Shadab Iftikhar as their manager this week. I'd never heard of him before but I read he's English and holds a UEFA A Licence. His coaching career to date is spectacular reading, from scouting opposition players for Belgium national side and assistant coach of the Mongolian national side to jobbing around the North West Counties League in England. Geography clearly hasn't been an issue for Iftikhar in the past but he might find Fort William's relative distance from the rest of the league and more importantly from a pool of potential players a challenge too far. He becomes the second manager of Asian descent appointed in Scotland this season.

Staying with appointments that caught the eye Queens Park have appointed Marijn Beuker as their Director Of Football. Beuker is Dutch and joins from AZ Alkmaar. Apparently he's highly regarded although again I'd never heard if him before this. Still, it's a fascinating appointment for Queens and suggests they're very serious about player development. Ironically they hammered Falkirk yesterday, who shut their relatively successful academy a few seasons ago and have been in free-fall ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by AMMS View Post
                Geography clearly hasn't been an issue for Iftikhar in the past but he might find Fort William's relative distance from the rest of the league and more importantly from a pool of potential players a challenge too far. .
                i saw fort a couple of months back,their pool of players most certainly isnt local

Comment

Didn't Fort William start winning last season once they got a few loanees in from Inverness Caley?

And we've had two sackings over the weekend. Wee baldy Gus MacPherson's been given the bullet by Morton, even though they're placed exactly where everyone expects them to be. And mentioned above by AMMS, Falkirk's 6-0 hammering by Queen's Park has seen Paul Sheerin lose his job. Could the Bairns be the next club to go into administration?

Comment

And now Jack Ross has been given the boot by Hibs. 'Tis the season to be jolly.

They visit St Mirren on Saturday; two teams who are on dreadful runs. This game had 0-0 written all over it, but not so sure now as we tend to give really struggling teams a much-needed win and coupled with the new-manager bounce, that us surely buggered.

Comment

Hibs' board will probably say that they expect the team to be better than 7th at the start of December. I'd argue that 7th with a game in hand, which if they win puts them 6th, and a cup final to look forward to is a very respectable performance in a league that has been pretty competitive this year. Hearts are doing very well. Could argue the same with Dundee United. Being 8 points behind 3rd place Hearts (assuming they win that game in hand) wouldn't be ideal but if they were to win the League Cup then Ross would have had them top 6 in the league and competitive and with a cup in the trophy cabinet.

I thought it was a very harsh decision by the Hibs board. Deserved a bit more time.

Comment

The League Cup final looks like a Serie A game with the big "curvas" behind the goals at Hampden, both teams in unfamiliar change kits and the mist looking like the after effects of a massive pyro display.
                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 19-12-2021, 15:35.

Comment

Hibs score on 51 minutes with with their second attempt and first on target, a bullocking header from Hanlon from a corner.

Pathetic defence from Celtic to concede the corner and goal but they equalise within a minute after Hanlon and the rest of his defence switch off and let Kyogo through.

The "mist" actually was the after-effect of pyro, I now realise.

Comment

And Furuhashi gets a second to give Celtic the lead.

15 minutes left.

Comment

Kyogo (and Hibs' defence's inability to track his runs) was the ultimate difference between the sides and it finishes 1-2.

Celtic were abysmal apart from him, truly appalling. I haven't seen much of them recently but it's clearly (and probably unsurprisingly) their weakest side in many decades.

They were corner-flagging it from the 85th minute and seemed to get the benefit of every major decision, especially the denial of a clear penalty for Hibs in the final minute of the ninety.
                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 19-12-2021, 17:24.

Comment

The big panic button in the Kilmarnock boardroom has been pressed as Tommy Wright loses his final game to the weather. If Killie miss out on automatic promotion, I wonder if they'll implode financially much like Falkirk.

Comment

I watched Hibs v Celtic in an Irish pub with a former Celtic player and didn't pay for a drink all day. I don't remember most of the evening and I'm lying on the sofa under a blanket despite starting work in about quarter of an hour. It's times like this I appreciate the hospitality industry's targeted destruction by the government. At least I'll have fuck all to do today.

Comment

Lee Bullen, Wednesday legend, has been appointed manager of Ayr Utd. I hope he has every success.

Comment

Serious relief at Dundee Utd finally winning. I stopped paying attention at 0-1 when Ms F came in from a class and wanted to watch 'Picard'. So I attributed our late victory to Picard's Spanish pilot (who reads Unamuno in English...?) putting on a tangerine fedora.

Feels a lot more comfortable looking down at Ross County 7 points rather than 1 behind.

Comment

Yep, I felt the same relief when we beat your mob the other week to win our first game in 12 attempts. And then we go and follow it up with beating Ayr in the Cup and then Aberdeen at home. Happy days and suddenly all's good with the world again.

Comment

Did Wim Jansen's death get mentioned at all? A good article here about his one memorable season at Celtic - the story of which I always found intriguing.

Comment

I saw it discussed on a couple of other football forums I'm a member of. I don't buy papers often during the week but I'd be surprised if it wasn't discussed in the weekend editions as part of the sports page editorials/columnists.

Comment

I got very engrossed in that 97-98 Celtic campaign (I went to a game there that year too, a Larsson-inspired demolition of Dundee United), and he did seem to find a new level from a lot of previously underperforming players (Morten Wieghorst and Jackie McNamara I recall particularly standing out). It was a proper title race too, with Hearts top until at least Christmas and Rangers staying on Celtic's tail right through to the finish, beating them twice over Easter in league and cup. Though the pivotal game was the 2-0 Old Firm win at New Year.

So yeah RIP Wim the Tim

Comment

That was Celtic's first win in ten years and stopped Rangers at nine in a row.

Comment

Watching Morton v Raith on BBC Scotland (while Ms F talks her faither down from panic about losing all their photos...): horrible kit from Raith (recoloured badge and all), nice to see Sam Stanton playing, but 'Ton kit nice touch of nostalgia and the swirling wind and rain on those bench seats reminds me of many a ground in the early 80s
                                                  Last edited by Felicity, I guess so; 28-01-2022, 19:57.

Comment

I have an irrational hatred of Morton. Not really rivals - they're rivalry is with St Mirren even though we're the closest team as the crow flies across the river Clyde. The main stand at Cappielow is a horrible place. No leg room. No toilets for away fans - you need to go out of the stand and walk down to the turnstile at the bottom of the hill for the toilets. No pie stand for away fans either.

Absolute hovel of a place.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X