It Ain't Over Til It's Over - Matchgoing 12th - 16th June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It Ain't Over Til It's Over - Matchgoing 12th - 16th June

Sunday was due to be the final of the Manchester League Gilgryst Cup but it's been postponed pending an investigation into an allegation an ineligible player featured in one of the semis. Hard not to think the fact it was up against the England game may have been a factor.

In what is likely to be my last game until August I'm heading to the capital of the Peak District, Chapel-en-le-Frith for a Hope Valley League cup semi this afternoon in the expectation of an entertaining last hurrah to what for me has been a hugely enjoyable return to regular matchgoing after a few seasons of only sporadic attendance. Cue 0-0 draw.

As per the Euros thread, taking my boy to England v Croatia tomorrow.

Comment

Tewkesbury Town Pumas 1-2 Tewkesbury Town Panthers

Our second 9v9 game was a friendly against one of our other teams at our age group (we have 3) and I was devastated for my boys this morning. We took the lead quite early on when our number 12 bustled through two challenges and finished delightfully past their keeper. We then dominated for the game, however, dominating games and not taking opportunities seems to be what we do best. Just before half-time their forward broke through and won his battle with our new defender and then shot past our keeper who seemed to be flat-footed. 1-1 at half-time.

Second half was much like the first and midway through their winger got the ball to the by-line before pulling back to an unmarked forward who tapped in. We huffed and puffed after, creating a number of chances but never really looking like scoring. Still plenty to build on.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
        Sunday was due to be the final of the Manchester League Gilgryst Cup but it's been postponed pending an investigation into an allegation an ineligible player featured in one of the semis. Hard not to think the fact it was up against the England game may have been a factor.
        I found the statement issued by the league amusing, in that they don't appear to want to name the club who are being investigated for playing an illegible player. However they do want to make it clear that Springhead are not being accused of anything, so my detective skills lead me to surmise that it's being suggested that the issue is to with Dukinfield.
        ----
        This afternoon the Liverpool Old Boys League held the finals of their various league cups at the University of Liverpool sports ground. Today's finals competed competitions held over from 2019-20 - there is another finals day next Saturday for this season's competitions.

First up was the Bill Hughes Shield final between Old Cathinians and St Margaret's Old Boys. Cathinians were two up in ten minutes and had made it 5-0 by half time. It could have been more, with the St Margaret's keeper making a couple of excellent saves and a Cathinians player making a Maradonesque run through the opposing team only to tamely shoot wide of the open goal. St Margaret's threatened a comeback with a couple of goals early in the second half, but their hopes were pretty much extinguished when they were reduced to ten for the final half hour.

The second game was the Marlborough Trophy between Collegiate Old Boys and Netherley Athletic (or Borussia Dortmund and Ajax if you believed the shirts). Collegiate scored the only goal of the first half, although Netherley did have a penalty saved. Netherley had two goals disallowed for offside to start the second half but they eventually remembered how to score legal goals, and scored three times to take the trophy. Collegiate get another go at winning the trophy next weekend (they are the only club to have reached finals in both "seasons").

Last game of the day was the Connerty Cup between Huyton Stanley (appearing as Boca Juniors) and MSB Woolton A. This was the first game of the day to see any goals scored at the end closest to the enterance, with the scores level at half time. Huyton scored twice more in the second half to take the title, with Woolton having very few chances.

I missed the Alan Brown Trophy, as it was held on an outside pitch overlapping the times of the last two games on the main pitch. Old Xaverians B defeated Liobians.

All in all, an enjoyable if long day. Whilst I've had previous days where I've done three or four games, this was the first time the games have had only a few minutes between them (rather than an hour or so) so things were starting to blur together by the end.

Comment

thurso vs invergordon today.defeat for invergordon gave golspie the title

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post

I found the statement issued by the league amusing, in that they don't appear to want to name the club who are being investigated for playing an illegible player. However they do want to make it clear that Springhead are not being accused of anything, so my detective skills lead me to surmise that it's being suggested that the issue is to with Dukinfield.
            You know, I think you might just be right. From what I've heard at games and read on Twitter he won't have been the only ringer to have played in this competition if that turns out to have been the case.

Comment

Chapel Chapel 3-1 Fairfield
              Hope Valley League Dore Sheild Semi Final

In spite of falling behind early on and not going in front until early in the second half the hosts never looked in danger of losing a game which, though an enjoyable occasion, won't last long in the memory. My sole clear recollection is of the prostrate figure of Fairfield's no.4 after his was the decisive touch for the goal which finally put the game beyond his team's reach.

Hopefully the final will provide a better spectacle which I was delighted to learn will take place on Thursday meaning I should be able to attend.
              Last edited by Artificial Hipster; 13-06-2021, 09:39.

Comment

Comment

Chatham Town 2 Rochester United 0

A couple of weeks ago, Ray gave a rave review of Chatham Town's Bauvill Ground and as I was in Kent for the weekend, I decided to see for myself. He wasn't exaggerating. I've never seen such a well-equipped ground at this level. The beach bar, the cocktail lounge, friendly and efficient service and an impressive stand with an elevated view
                  behind the goal contributed to a splendid afternoon. Ray would also have enjoyed the multitude of TV screens, inside and outside the bars showing the Wales v Scotland game.

The match itself was too one-sided to be particularly memorable. Chatham were clearly the superior team and after taking a two goal lead they could afford to miss a Panenka penalty.

Last edited by cantagalo; 13-06-2021, 10:20.

Comment

Comment

This quirky sign appears outside the toilets. I googled it and it is attributed to Cicero and appears on many towns' coats of arms. So I learnt something as well.

Comment

I made my first visit to Burscough's new ground this lunchtime. It's in what was a field behind the old ground and is typical of many new grounds at this level in that it seems designed to meet ground grading regulations and no more (although there are still some bits still left to finish off before the season starts). One positive is that, unlike some, you can walk all the way round.

The match was the final of the Division Three Cup in the North West Youth Alliance, and was played between the under 18s of AFC Blackpool and Prestwich Heys. It finished 1-1, with Prestwich scoring in the opening seconds of the second half, and Blackpool equalising in stoppage time. Blackpool just about shaded the game, but seemed reluctant to actually take shots when they got into the box. Prestwich took the trophy home by winning 4-3 on penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                          Chapel Chapel
                          ... your face is a mess,

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post

... your face is a mess,
                            So good I named them twice.

Comment

Still a few competitions going. One of these is the Yorkshire Amateur League, who are on course to complete a full (home and away) league campaignYesterday I went to Bradford to watch Tyersal play Leeds Independent in Division One (fourth tier). Decent game with Leeds deservedly winning 4-1. A nippy winger looked particularly good. That could have been enough for them to win the title, but fellow challengers Leeds City Reserves also won yesterday and so can go above Independent (who have now finished their fixtures) if they get another win in their final fixture next Saturday.

This morning I went to the version of Griffin Park still in existence, the home of Mill Hill in Blackburn. This is by far one of the best grounds around belonging to a side below county league level, being railed much of the way round and having cover and catering facilities. It was hosting two cup finals for the Blackburn Sunday League today, with the match I watched being the lower regarded Golden Anniversary Cup, in which Anchor beat Helmshore Harriers 3-1. An unexpected sideshow took place in the yard of an adjoining paper factory - the contents of a shipping container were on fire and the fire brigade spent a good hour or so dealing with this. Particularly entertaining was the occasional jets of water that came into the ground, much to the surprise of spectators on that side.

This afternoon I went to Langho where the home side were taking on Burnley Belvedere in the semi final of the Lancashire Women's League Cup. This venue is unusual in that parking is shared with an establishment calling itself "The Temple of Healing". Langho were the better side in the first half but took until around the fortieth minute to open the scoring. However they took only a couple of minutes more to get a second. Belvedere got one back in the second half but Langho soon restored their two goal advantage. Langho advance to next Sunday's final where they will meet Haslingden, to be played at Longridge as the second part of a double header - Penwortham Reserves play Bury in the earlier Plate final.

Comment

Rochester United 2 Punjab United 0

The Medway five team post-season tournament is drawing to a close with the final to be played next Thursday between Chatham Town and Sheppey United. This game between two of the also-rans in the group was their final one and the 6th tier home side just about deserved the win against their 5th Tier opposition.

Rochester's ground is actually in Strood on the west side of the Medway but I arrived in Rochester early to visit both the cathedral and castle. Once you cross the bridge though, the scenery becomes much less picturesque. The ground is adequate for this level but quite functional with a small stand and a bus shelter type structure on one side and the dugouts on the other but my double cheeseburger was so over-cooked that I regretted not visiting one of the many pubs or restaurants on the main street in Rochester.

Anyway, here it is: the Rochester United Sports Ground.

Comment

Working...
                                X