The future of sports broadcasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Levin View Post
    Haven't all these sports benefited from their games being on FTA? How will rugby league find new viewers if you have to buy in to that first experience?
    That's the conundrum really, and RL currently tries to manage it by having the Challenge Cup and some internationals on FTA and the week on week out stuff on pay TV. Under the new TV deal, Sky are paying a lot less for Super League, and as a minor concession are committing to put a certain number of games on FTA themselves.

The clubs below Super League currently use a similar thing to iFollow (OurLeague) and it's this sort of thing that could be made more of - package that up into a subscription service rather than pay per view and I'd be interested.

Comment

What MLBtv do is they have a free game of the day through the app. This is enough for the casual fan. The they have all your teams games on if you buy access.

You could do that with any sport. 1 or 2 free fixtures every weekend and then all the others behind a paywall of some kind. Sky have never done that because they didn't need to. They have popular sports that has built them a subscriber base and any minority sports are just bought as "filler" content for their channels.

The iFollow model also works because you can buy a one off pass for just one game instead of having to have a subscription to an entire channel. That's better in terms of making access easier for people.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        Sky have never done that because they didn't need to. They have popular sports that has built them a subscriber base and any minority sports are just bought as "filler" content for their channels.
        To a small extent they do, as I think they make Sky Sports Mix available on Freeview. My godson is a big NBA fan and he's happy to watch the free game every weekend on Sky Sports Mix and then he watches youtube for highlights of all the other games.

Trouble is with narrowcasting is that I think there will be a saturation point, where people will just realise they are paying for quite a few of these streaming services and aren't using them much and then ruthlessly cut back. Certainly that is what has happened with me with regard to streaming entertainment services. I have ditched them all and just stick to the free ones like the iPlayer from now on.

Comment

It's going to be a shame if everything is stuck in its own pay TV silo. It will be terrible for the sports fan "all rounder" who likes to watch a little bit of everything because you are going to have to have 37 different subscriptions to watch all the various sports, leagues and competitions.

I spent a large part of the Saturdays in my childhood glued to Grandstand and it fostered within me an appreciation for all sports - its how I (as someone from the home counties) was introduced to rugby league for instance. In 1987/88 I became an F1 and rugby union fan on account of the BBC's coverage of both and FTA also introduced me to American football and Italian football on Channel 4 and so on and so forth. It looks like those days are over.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
            My godson is a big NBA fan and he's happy to watch the free game every weekend on Sky Sports Mix and then he watches youtube for highlights of all the other games.
            Personally that is what I have evolved into - a youtube highlights watcher - f'rinstance I watched the youtube highlights of the Bucks-Nets game last night. I followed the Giro via highlights on the GCN channel. Its just a really efficient and inexpensive way of watching what you need to watch in an event that is of some (but not massive) interest to you.

Most sports require a 2-3 hour investment of time to watch a game and it is pretty difficult to justify that use of time (and money) for a game that is only of passing interest to you, that's where youtube highlights come in.........

Last edited by Cesar Rodriguez; 11-06-2021, 14:40.

Comment

Talking of youtube highlights, I tried to find some National League games there but pretty much drew a blank.

Comment

BT Sport puts its weekly National League highlights show on YouTube. They're all still on there (unless they're region blocked or something.)

Comment

Originally posted by Cesar Rodriguez View Post
                  It's going to be a shame if everything is stuck in its own pay TV silo. It will be terrible for the sports fan "all rounder" who likes to watch a little bit of everything because you are going to have to have 37 different subscriptions to watch all the various sports, leagues and competitions.

I spent a large part of the Saturdays in my childhood glued to Grandstand and it fostered within me an appreciation for all sports - its how I (as someone from the home counties) was introduced to rugby league for instance. In 1987/88 I became an F1 and rugby union fan on account of the BBC's coverage of both and FTA also introduced me to American football and Italian football on Channel 4 and so on and so forth. It looks like those days are over.
                  I was the same and looking back its amazing how much stuff was available, particularly live sports (and at a time when, outside of the major tournaments, only a handful of football games were shown live). I think the days of the sporting all rounder spectator are diminishing and we are losing something from it.

As a RL fan we bitched at the time about the lack of (and quality of) coverage, but at least when one of our guys got the token slot on Question of Sport, a decent proportion of the viewing audience would recognise their name, even if they knew little else about them.

Comment

Experimented with the LiveScore coverage for the random choice of Sheriff v Zagreb - no issues with either the picture quality or sound, no buffering, and a familiar, yet unplaceable voice on commentary (may have been Jon Champion, but definitely one of the BT freelancers). That said, would I choose it when a televised option is available - hardly.

Comment

Working...
                    X