No announcement yet.

Adios Away Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, I don't get all the twitter responses of 'About time'. Why? There doesn't seem to be any particular rationale behind it.

Comment

I might be going against the grain here, but broadly I approve. Football is about scoring more goals than your opponents, not about where you do it. Awarding wins on away goals is only marginally better than awarding wins on corners taken or amount of yellow cards given. Away goals distort the game.

Comment

I disapprove. Apart from anything else this is going to mean loads more extra time and loads more penalty shootouts. Which is objectively shit.

Comment

Having 30 minutes extra in one leg but not the other skews things a lot more. Logically it should go to pens after 90 minutes of the 2nd leg (or even have pens in both legs and do an aggregate from 10 pens each).

Comment

I think it's a great idea, for the reasons that San Bernardhinault said.
            Last edited by Sporting; 24-06-2021, 16:50.

Comment

Do you not like extra time, ad hoc? If not, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                Do you not like extra time, ad hoc? If not, why not?
                1. It's rarely good to watch. Both teams are knackered or over cautious or both
                2. It's unfair on the away team in the second leg
                3. European matches kick off at 10 pm in my time zone. Extra time (if I'm engaged in the match) means going to bed way past midnight. And I'm too old for that.

Comment

Fair dos. Can't remember the last time I watched an extra time tbh. We must have had one but I can't think when. But tired players doesn't sound terrible to me tbh.

I don't really do telly football though. So yeah.

(I still think the "unfair" thing is not really a thing, mind)

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    Having 30 minutes extra in one leg but not the other skews things a lot more. Logically it should go to pens after 90 minutes of the 2nd leg (or even have pens in both legs and do an aggregate from 10 pens each).
                    Have a panel of judges assess the respective teams' performance over the two legs and decide it on that basis.

Comment

The two most memorable games of my life happened because of away goals.

Anyroad, my not-thought-through-at-all and not-really-serious solution. Before the game the refereeing team does a secret draw from, say, three different methods of deciding the tie if scores are level eg away goals, penalties, drawing lots. Only if the scores are level at the end of the game is the means of deciding the tie revealed. That way, both sides will have to go for the win.
                      Last edited by Capybara; 24-06-2021, 19:50.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

I mean, you should have been down anyway, on league performance. And you got your most enjoyable season ever out of it. So, you know.
                        Talk about hitting a man when he down given their latest travails in Third Division.

Comment

Agree that getting around the advantage of one club having additional 30 minutes of a home game in second leg is major flaw in the rule change.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

Talk about hitting a man when he down given their latest travails in Third Division.
                            The third division is a very high level of football in England.

Comment

I'm not going to read the whole thread back, but I seem to remember one or two posters on here arguing for the abolition of extra-time. I hope this heresy has now been silenced...

Comment

Well remembered, Imp. At least in part - there are some familiar names on here ...

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...982-extra-time

Comment

Good thread, that. I have no recollection of it, or of ever having had those ideas, so I think it's a forgery.

Comment

If England had equalized against Sweden in 1992, and the game finished 2-2, they and Denmark would have drawn lots:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_E...92#Tiebreakers

Comment

Play as much extra time as needed for one team to get two goals in front. Every ten minutes each team has to take a player off (with no one sent on to replace them). If extra time reaches 40 minutes in and it's still not been decided, both goalies have to be taken off. I'm open to either saying both teams just have to play on without goalies, or that they can stick an outfielder (of the ones still on the pitch) in goal.

Comment

I assume this initiative to get rid of the away goals is designed to satisfy the super league teams, who were knocked out on away goals in the CL. Juve, for example, is feeling their monopoly slip after getting knocked out on away goals and losing the league for the first time in a decade.

Comment

Like everything else, I think it was driven more by the rights holders, who prefer that "big teams" advance.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            Like everything else, I think it was driven more by the rights holders, who prefer that "big teams" advance.
                                            Normally I'm 100% in agreement about TV's influence but extra time is bad news for TV stations that are not 100% sports networks or are juggling multiple live sports. In the US, for example, the CL and EL matches start early enough that those games won't interfere with start times of domestic games, but that only works if the 3PM EST games are concluded in a 2-hour bloc. If the games stretch much longer then the football matches cut into pre-game for NBA, NHL, MLB, and some grid iron. Of course, this is only the US and right now that situation is moot since CBS has pushed everything to the Paramount+ app. So, CBS gets Liverpool over Atletico or Juve over Lyon, for example, but the cost is the disruption of 2-hour schedules. I don't know if the same would be true for European networks.

Comment

They don't believe that there will be more extra time (I disagree).

And time is less of an issue as sport increasingly is distributed through a multi platform pay or premium model, rather than broadcast on networks with other content, That is happening everywhere, especially for club football, not just in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                They don't believe that there will be more extra time (I disagree).
                                                I'm still making my way through the Champions League playoffs, which are less interesting to me now than in the past. One game does not make an argument but Monaco would have beat an uninspired Shakhtar during 90 minutes on away goals. But more time needed because away goals are gone.

The cynic in me wants every knockout round to go the longest possible time, just like I was kind of hoping Qatar would win the CONCACAF Gold Cup. But the practical reality of a guy sitting in front of a TV for 30+ extra minutes per game is hoping the idiots running UEFA are right and the amount of games altered by the rule change will be moot.

Comment

Working...
                                                X