No announcement yet.

Adios Away Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reckon in the event of a drawn game both teams should exit - having both failed to win. This would cut down the number of games that teams have to play and increase the incentive for attacking football.

That or we put it to an audience vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
      That or we put it to an audience vote.
      They should use the chatbar on dodgy streams: "And the winner is... Sexy MILFs in your area?"

Comment

Make an ex-manager take a pen - Ferguson, Dalglish etc

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
          I don't like away goals. Nor do I like penalties.
          I don't like any goals or penalties my team concedes

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
            I've always thought the extra time thing to be a complete red herring. Still do.
            ‘Arry Redknapp has always been able to talk about the League Cup final that he got Spurs to rather than being asked how he managed to blow a 4-1 lead first leg lead against a Championship club.

Comment

Redknapp is an arsehole entirely independent of any drawn-tie-splitting mechanisms, mind. I don't recall the situation you refer to, but if it wasn't that it'd be something else. But clearly some people do actually think of the extra time thing as being a real thing to care about. I mean, I can care about some petty nothings, so I guess it shouldn't be surprising that others can too.
              Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 24-06-2021, 16:41.

Comment

I’m still bitter about it, along with thousands of other Clarets. (Lost 4-1 at White Hart Lane, won 3-0 in ordinary time in the second leg but were undone by a winner in 115th minute against a team that was out on their feet.)

Comment

Aha. That sounds like the stuff legends are made of. Imagine if we didn't have such historic "injustices".

Comment

Does anyone know the sats related to wins during extra time and the amount of goals scored during extra time? It seems to me that 95%+ of games that go to extra time go to penalties. I really hate extra time because of this. It's just 30 more minutes of teams trying not to lose. I don't care one way or another about away goals but if that's going to be scrapped then (and I am stunned that I am about to say this about CONMEBOL) CONMEBOL's approach is the way to go: the final is the *only* match where extra time is used in the event of tie. Every other knockout game goes straight to penalties.

BTW, look at everything UEFA does: the plans are designed to help the glamor clubs and nations. This upcoming Euros has most big nations at home. The tournament is designed so we see Italy, Germany, England, and the Netherlands advance. Away goals has helped Porto or Lyon or Villarreal. This is a defacto super league move.
                    Last edited by danielmak; 30-05-2021, 23:47.

Comment

This is four years old, but as of that time, just a bit below 50 percent of matches that went to extra time were decided on penalties.

While the trend is rising, it isn't anywhere close to 95 percent (having yet to break 60 percent in the most recent period)

https://www.thestatszone.com/archive...bolished-13498
                      Last edited by ursus arctos; 31-05-2021, 00:25.

Comment

I looked up the last three years of CL and Euro 2016 and WC 2018. I know the national team games have nothing to do with away goals.

Eur 2016: 5 games not decided in 90 and 2/5 ended during extra time
                        WC 2018: 5 games not decided in 90 and 1/5 decided during extra time

National team games probably skewing my opinion about so many games going to penalties.

CL 18-19 (no penalties needed to decide games):

PSG-Man UTD decided on away goals during regulation (UTD won)
                        Spurs-City decided on away goals during regulation (Spurs won)
                        Spurs-Ajax decided on away goals during regulation (Spurs won)

All three of these were pretty exciting because of away goals

Porto-Roma decided during extra time of the second leg. I'll refrain from my commentary about VAR failing to do its job in this tie.

CL 19-20 (no penalties needed to decide games):

Juve-Lyon decided on away goals (Lyon won)

Atletico Madrid-Liverpool decided during extra time of the second leg (Atletico won).

This tournament is not a perfect sample size since COVID meant 1/4 and 1/2 were single game knock-out.

CL 20-21 (no penalties needed to decide games):

Porto-Juve decided on away goals (Porto won)
                        PSG-Bayern decided on away goals during regulation (PSG won)

Porto-Juve was the only game that required extra time. Again, Porto advanced on away goals.

Super small sample size, but I can't see how this is a problem and since Juve was the victim of this twice, I say away goals it is. haha.
                        Last edited by danielmak; 31-05-2021, 05:19.

Comment

I think there is a big % increase in major finals tournaments because of heat and exhaustion from a long season. CL in February is a significantly different set of circumstances. Last Wednesday's final petering out so poorly was partly an end-of-season factor and partly both coaches' tactics.

Comment

My concern is it tips the balance further in favour of whoever's at home in the the second leg. As it stands everyone wants to be home in the second leg anyway, despite the away team getting a bit of an advantage in having slightly more control over the away goals scenario and an extra 30 minutes of away time to get an away goal. Scrapping it means the second leg home team now has the advantage of being at home in the second leg, and the massive advantage of home penalties. There are no benefits in being away in the second leg. How long before seeded teams are guaranteed home advantage in the second leg?

Comment

Are there stats available on pens regarding home and away teams?

Comment

Not exclusively to do with away goals but I think any knockout game that is 0-0 should go straight to penalties. Fans shouldn't be subjected to an extra 30 minutes if teams can't score during 90. In the case of the Juve-Milan final that was about as shit on a stick as I have ever watched. Both teams should have reimbursed every person in the stadium for their ticket and every viewer at home for their time given the excruciating experience created by those two sides.

Comment

II understand the sentiment, but that would definitely incentivise more overmatched teams to play for penalties from the get go

Comment

For coin toss drama, Liverpool v Cologne in the 1965 European Cup is hard to beat.

They had to have a second go after the coin landed on its side on the first attempt.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N3txUQ4It9A&t=3s

It looks like English teams used to be quite good at this. Are there any examples of one losing a coin toss?

Comment

https://de.zxc.wiki/wiki/Liste_der_L..._Landesmeister

Comment

Too little too late for me.
                                        Sunderland were the first team to be relegated through the playoffs on away goals back in 86/87 after a nerve wracking encounter with Tony Cascarinos Gillingham team. The final whistle went and half of the Sunderland fans (including myself)thought we were going to penalties as what turned out to be the decisive goal was scored in extra time. The Gillingham fans were under no such illusions as were the 100,000 Newcastle fans in their section living their own Sex Pistols in Manchester moment. My first thought on realising we were out being “We could be out of the FA Cup by Xmas”. Waddya mean? Of course we bloody were.
                                        The following season was strangely the most fun I’ve had as a fan. Traipsing all over the country and barely a big city in sight. Not needing tickets in advance allowing drunken Friday night spur of the moment decisions to attend certainly helped. That it would obviously be a one off mad interlude in our otherwise glorious history gave it added spice........

Away goals almost killed off my only Sunderland competitive European game. ECWC in 73/74. Losing to eventual winners Sporting Lisbon 2-3 on agg. In a game that Sporting killed off in a disgraceful exhibition of time wasting, back passing and feigned injury. As my dads mate said on the way home “ If professional football had been played like that from the off it would’ve died out after a month or so”.

This rule change has more chance of success since back passes were banned. Refs need to be on top of time wasting and feigned injuries will no doubt increase.
                                        Last edited by Sunderporinostesta; 01-06-2021, 09:45. Reason: Just realised Sporting was 2-3 on agg. No away goals counting double involved. The memory eh....

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
                                          Sunderland were the first team to be relegated through the playoffs on away goals back in 86/87 after a nerve wracking encounter with Tony Cascarinos Gillingham team. The final whistle went and half of the Sunderland fans (including myself)thought we were going to penalties as what turned out to be the decisive goal was scored in extra time. The Gillingham fans were under no such illusions as were the 100,000 Newcastle fans in their section living their own Sex Pistols in Manchester moment. My first thought on realising we were out being “We could be out of the FA Cup by Xmas”. Waddya mean? Of course we bloody were.
                                          The following season was strangely the most fun I’ve had as a fan. Traipsing all over the country and barely a big city in sight. Not needing tickets in advance allowing drunken Friday night spur of the moment decisions to attend certainly helped. That it would obviously be a one off mad interlude in our otherwise glorious history gave it added spice........
                                          I mean, you should have been down anyway, on league performance. And you got your most enjoyable season ever out of it. So, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
                                            My first thought on realising we were out being “We could be out of the FA Cup by Xmas”. Waddya mean? Of course we bloody were.
                                            I remember Sunderland's pre-Christmas FA Cup exit very well, it was the last season at the Old Show Ground, so it was one of the last big games there. We were used to only Burnley filling the away end, and Wolves that season, but Sunderland really, really filled it. A lot of drunk "geordies" in town that day.
                                            I remember Eric Gates and Frank Gray were playing, and hotshot Marco Gabbiadini, who put in one of the worst performances I've ever seen, he seemingly had the wrong studs in because he fell over whenever he tried to move and just got laughed at.

Comment

We should’ve been down the previous season. Kept up by a last second loan of Andy Dibble. Don’t get me started on McMenemy....I vented enough on him on here last OTF ID around.
                                              Last edited by Sunderporinostesta; 01-06-2021, 10:02.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

I remember Sunderland's pre-Christmas FA Cup exit very well, it was the last season at the Old Show Ground, so it was one of the last big games there. We were used to only Burnley filling the away end, and Wolves that season, but Sunderland really, really filled it. A lot of drunk "geordies" in town that day.
                                                I remember Eric Gates and Frank Gray were playing, and hotshot Marco Gabbiadini, who put in one of the worst performances I've ever seen, he seemingly had the wrong studs in because he fell over whenever he tried to move and just got laughed at.
                                                I missed that one.
                                                Just checked in case of any other brain farts. George Burley, Rueben Agboola, Keith Bertschin were amongst our other Div1 type quality players according to McMenemy when signed who were slumming it through every fault of their own. Though Agboola joined us to get away from McMenemy only for him to walk through the door six months or so later. Alan Kennedy had long fled the scene of his crimes by then.
                                                If this current Div3 “stretch” wasn’t all ticket thus cutting out the spontaneity it’d be a helluva lot more enjoyable. There’s less fun in involved in scouring the prematch pubs in search of a spare than in simply paying on the gate.

Comment

UEFA having another shocker:

https://twitter.com/UEFA/status/1408051890861060097

Comment

I thought that it had value.

Oh well, there we are - all the more cagey away performances for us to enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X