Adios Away Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adios Away Goals

BBC is reporting that UEFA have approved ending the away goals rule in its competitions. It will be interesting how this changes the dynamic of two-legged ties (and whether it leads to more games decided in dramatic extra time, or just more penalty shootouts).

Huge mistake IMO. There are now loads more ways for a match to finish level, which doesn't necessarily mean there will be way more penalty shootouts, but I'd be shocked if there aren't. Even UEFA presumably don't really want many more of them. Yet here we are

Comment

This still needs ExCo approval, and I am hoping that they opt for a trial in the Conference League to see its effects in operation

Comment

I note that Bayern and Juventus both went out on away goals this season, and those were the only ties in this year's tournament that were decided in that manner.

I'm conflicted depending on whether I recall games where two very even sides were artificially divided on the rule or whether I recall a BRC going out on the rule. OTOH I do think it ruins games when a side has to score twice to not lose a tie where it's only a goal behind, and the opposition just has to do enough to prevent that, especially when the latter is usually set up to play on the counter.
        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 29-05-2021, 10:16.

Comment

I don't like away goals. Nor do I like penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            Huge mistake IMO. There are now loads more ways for a match to finish level, which doesn't necessarily mean there will be way more penalty shootouts, but I'd be shocked if there aren't. Even UEFA presumably don't really want many more of them. Yet here we are
            More extra time and shootouts means more TV ad breaks for sale, so I would imagine that they absolutely do want more of them.

Comment

I'm not really that adverse to this. The calculus of trying to nick an away goal, or stopping the opponent doing so, because of its weight in the equation, is disproportionate compared to what it was brought in to prevent, which was the occasional unfamiliar or substandard pitch affecting away results.

Comment

I would like the return of replays, though I know that it's not going to happen.

Comment

I'd like to see the toss of a coin brought back. It ought to be a real incentive for both teams to go for the win, you can't practice the coin toss.

Comment

Bring back the coin toss.

Here's a memorable moment from the Fairs Cup QF, Leeds v Bologna. Commentary on the toss starts at 8:20. (Admittedly there were no away goals so it doesn't actually apply here, but never mind, it's classic telly).

Comment

What an amazing clip.

Comment

Away goals was a bit of a nonsense this season when games had to be played at neutral venues, but in normal times I'd be in favour of it as a tie decider compared to extra time or penalties. It's already fucking hard enough to get public transport back to the city centre after an away fan holdback without adding another 40-60mins onto the finish time.

Comment

What's the official argument put forward in favour of scrapping it?

Comment

One main issue seems to be the away team in the second leg being able to score their decisive away goal in extra time, where extra time finishes 1-1. Not unrelated, perhaps, to the point Satchmo raised about that being precisely what happened to Juve this season against Porto. That could be remedied by saying away goals only count at the end of 90 minutes of the second leg, rather than doing away with them altogether.
                            Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 29-05-2021, 12:13.

Comment

It distorts the second leg because one side is often playing with an advantage greater than that it has really earned.

Comment

I've always thought the extra time thing to be a complete red herring. Still do.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                  What's the official argument put forward in favour of scrapping it?
                                  It offends both morally and aesthetically.

Comment

Lol

Comment

(also, as well as whatever nonsense they might claim to be their reason, what is their real reason?)

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                        I'd like to see the toss of a coin brought back. It ought to be a real incentive for both teams to go for the win, you can't practice the coin toss.
                                        But then again, an advantage to those clubs with more, or bigger, tossers?

Comment

I think it's poor form to announce this idea THE DAY BEFORE THE FINAL, what if there's an away goal tonight?

On the other hand, now that the value of away goals isn't double that of normal goals I'll finally be able to listen to Robbie Savage properly instead of using a pad and pencil to work out what's needed for which post-match scenario
                                          Last edited by Kowalski; 29-05-2021, 13:58.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                            Bring back the coin toss.

Here's a memorable moment from the Fairs Cup QF, Leeds v Bologna. Commentary on the toss starts at 8:20. (Admittedly there were no away goals so it doesn't actually apply here, but never mind, it's classic telly).

I've seen that before, some time ago, and realise I had the exact same reaction of admiration for the players shaking hands and sharing compliments like boxers at the end of a long fight without a KO. But Bremner's over the top reaction totally kills the respectful vibe generated prior to the coin toss. If ever there was a moment for a solitary hand or fist in the air, Shearer style, it was then.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                              (also, as well as whatever nonsense they might claim to be their reason, what is their real reason?)
                                              See my post above.

Comment

Ah, I missed that. Does the away goals come into effect at the end of normal time? I just realised I've no idea (this is all purely academic for me).

Comment

I've had an idea, seeing as away goals are no longer worth double we could even things up by cutting the value of home goals by half so they're only worth half as much as they now are. Football should remember that they're in "the excitement business" and away goals help to create a more enjoyable experience for your consumers.

We could also adopt a sliding scale of points for matches involving away goals, if the away side wins and they've scored 2 away goals they get 4 points for an away win, if they score 3 goals and win they get 5 points for an away win, however if they score 4 away goals and win they get 5 points and an extra bonus point, just because.

In the new regime away goals will also merit points in defeats, If a team scores 1-3 away goals in a defeat they get a bonus point, apart from the following scenarios, if 2-3 goals are scored in quick succession, thereby helping to add creative tension to a match, a team will get 2 bonus points. If the 2-3 goals are scored in the last 5 minutes of a match a team will get 3 bonus points. If the 2-3 goals are scored in injury time the team will gain 4 bonus points but if they fail to have a another shot on target they will lose the extra bonus point.

Just to make things even more interesting if matches are played in months with less than 31 days the clubs will only find out at the end of the month if they have gained the bonus points. The pools panel will announce their findings from behind frosted glass on a special "Pools Panel" slot on the Monday edition of "The One Show".

It's a good job that I'm bursting with ideas because I begin my secondment to IFAB on Monday.
                                                  Last edited by Kowalski; 29-05-2021, 18:32.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X