Still At It - Matchgoing 29th May - 3rd June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still At It - Matchgoing 29th May - 3rd June

I'd earmarked a cup quarter final at the home of a step 16 village side near Fakenham but covid has meant our trip to Norfolk has been put back by a week so instead I'm planning a second trip of the late season into the Hope Valley League to see Bamford v Chapel Town. There's nothing riding on it, I'm expecting nothing more than football played for the love of football with the Peaks doing the rest.

I know what speedway I plan/hope to be going to this Bank Holiday weekend but the football matches are still subject to practicalities.

Saturday evening is the big South Coast Derby in the SGB Championship, Eastbourne Eagles v Poole Pirates with the clubs meeting for the first time in seven years. This will most likely be preceded by Chatham Town v Sheppey United in the Kent Post-Lockdown Tournament that's been running between four local teams for the last few weeks. I may have to settle for something closer to home though.

Monday evening is Peterborough Panthers v Belle Vue Aces in the SGB Premiership. That lunchtime, assuming I get a ticket, I plan to be at Wimbledon's London Senior Cup Final against either Tooting & Mitcham or Hanwell Town (who play the semi-final tonight). The match takes place at Hendon's Silver Jubilee Park ground and Wimbledon's team will consist of players 18 years old or under (some of them 15!) as the first and u23 squads have finished for the season.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 28-05-2021, 18:29.

Comment

Tewkesbury Town Pumas U10s v Claverdon U10s

Our last league game of the season and, therefore, our last competitive game of 7-a-side ever. Training was fantastic on Tuesday, and the boys really are starting to pick more up bit by bit.

We played Claverdon before the last lockdown kicked in and lost 8-3. However, that game was played on a slope that required a road sign showing sharp incline. The first half we played uphill and were 7-0 down at half-time. That means we won the second half 3-1 against a team that had a lead to defend. As always, the result isn't really important tomorrow, but it would be nice to finish the League season on a high.

After tomorrow training continues until the end of June and we have two 9-a-side friendlies pencilled in for 12th and 26th June before our presentation on the 27th.

It's been a long first season in coaching, but I've bloody loved it.

Comment

Wembley.

10th time lucky, I hope.

Comment

I've got two tickets for Boreham Wood v Maidenhead Utd in the National league premier. I'm taking my Dad along and it will be the first football match he's been to for 18 months. He's rather excited about having spent most of the last year or so shielding with my Mum and the idea of going to watch live football again has really perked him up. For me it will my first live games since I saw Hackney Wick on a Saturday and then Billericay ladies in the FA Cup on the Sunday at the beginning of December.

Comment

Comment

HT: Boreham Wood 0-2 Maidenhead United

Quite frankly it's a rotten game with little to commend it. Maidenhead are the better side and in the sun it's quite warm. After waiting ages for football to return I end up watching this. Still, it's good to be back.

Comment

FT: Boreham Wood 1-4 Maidenhead United

A crowd of 651 saw a much better second half than the first half with Boreham at least making an attempt to score and putting a bit of effort in. I sat in their newish stand which sits opposite the changing rooms and had a great view of the pitch. Nothing of note really happened, just an end of season game with nothing to play for but by God, it feels good to be back!

Comment

South Sefton Borough 2-4 Heswall (West Cheshire league division 2)

My second post-lockdown visit to Mill Dam Field, this time for the final game of the reduced season. I was a few minutes late arriving and the home side had already missed a sitter, but after that it became one way traffic with Heswall on top for the rest of the first half. They took the lead with a smart finish from a lovely cross from the right, doubled the lead when the ref adjudged an effort had crossed the line and then made it 0-3 before the break, as well as creating several other opportunities. Heswall needed the win to get into the second promotion place and at this stage looked like they were home and hosed.

At half time I walked round the pitch to chat to the Heswall manager, who I know through work. I possibly didn't time it brilliantly as they conceded soon after the break and immediately began to look edgy, with Borough's impressive No.9 squeezing in a second to really set the nerves jangling. For an end of season game there was a surprising amount of needle and chirping and one bout of midfield rolling around ended up with the beleaguered ref trying to calm things down while one of the combatants repeatedly shouted "He grabbed my dick!" whilst pointing at his groin as if to reinforce his complaint.

South Sefton had a really good chance for an equaliser, but soon afterwards the Heswall No.9 was played in and curled a shot round the keeper to restore their two goal cushion. There were a lot of shouts for offside, but with no linesmen it was always going to fall on deaf ears. The last 15 mins played out with lots of encouragement from the touchline, comments from players about the referees incompetence and at the final whistle a relieved celebration from the Heswall team and coaching staff. Probably my last game of the season, and a really good one to finish with.

[Can't seem to add a photo, the site is being an arse for some reason]

Comment

Tewkesbury Town Pumas u10s 2-3 Claverdon u10s

My heart broke for my boys this morning, because they left everything out on that pitch today. We started strongly and deservedly went 1-0 up after about 7/8 mins when our number 4 lobbed the keeper from the edge of the area after the ball had bounced around in the box following a corner. A couple of minutes later we should have been 2-0 up when our number 11 was clean through on goal, only for the Claverdon keeper to make a fantastic save. 4 changes halfway through the first half disrupted us somewhat, but every boy should be getting equal game time, and we were hanging on a little until about 22 mins or so when Claverdon's best player picked the ball up on the halfway line and dribbled practically unchallenged through on goal and slotting past our keeper to make it 1-1. We saw out the rest of the half, but were bullish.

The second half we absolutely dominated the first 5-10 mins and, again, we should have retaken the lead when our number 12 worked his way through on goal and forced the keeper into a point blank save from barely a couple of yards out. The pressure gave us a false sense of security and we were twice caught on the counter-attack and with one defender against 4 attackers each time they played it into the net. Fortunately, neither of those goals will count next season when offsides come into play, but today it didn't matter. 3-1 down, and when I first took over this would mean the boys' heads would drop and we'd concede another couple. Not today though, and in the last minute we finally got our reward when our number 9 scored a fantastic strike from just outside the box, right into the top corner of the goal. We had another chance in the last minute, but Claverdon cleared it in a scramble.

So that's our league season and 7-a-side done for my boys. It's been a struggle at times, no doubt about it, but we've finished quite strongly and whilst we've lost our last two, compared to the previous results against said teams there's a marked improvement.

Our final record:

Played: 14
                    Won: 2
                    Drawn: 1
                    Lost:11
                    For: 22
                    Against: 67

Two more friendlies and then that's it until pre-season in August.

Comment

Comment

Eltham Town 2-0 Long Lane
                        London Junior Cup Quarter Final

The Oaks is a lovely looking football ground, with trees around almost all of it, with the exception of one half of one touchline. Here there were a scattering of picnic tables for the clubhouse situated behind, which, at odds with the gentile atmosphere, was blasting out early 2000s dance-pop throughout.

Also at odds with the gentile atmosphere were Eltham Town who had half a dozen loud mouthy sods dotted around their team; in particular their big striker and annoying centre-midfielder who had an opinion on everything, something the refere made clear about 20 minutes in when he blew his whistle to tell the Eltham striker "I've already had enough of you". I like this ref, I've seen him before. He's very certain in all his decisions, compliments good play, and takes absolutely no shit; he ended up dishing out five yellows during the game; two for fouls, three for dissent and he could've given more for the latter to be honest.

Eltham were the stronger side and were 2-0 up before half-time; a big cross met by a big header from the big forward, followed by another for him; put in with a chipped ball over the top, rather than concern himself with trying to round the keeper he met it with a Hot-Shot Hamish half-volley into the top corner from 18 yards. Oooof as I believe i said at the time. It could've been three from a similar move to the second but the Long Lane keeper made a great save from that to keep his side in it. Long Lane had a one-on-one chance of their own at the end of the first half but they wasted it and never got close again; their undoing really being their front two who offered their team-mates absolutely nothing for 90 minutes in terms of an outlet.

Lastly a nod to Eltham's kit, which I thought was blue and white checks, but on closer inspection there was a pattern of blue in the white checks. I think it may have been a nod to the art deco mosaic patterns in Eltham Palace, which is inspired if so... but as the Palace was only accepting online bookings, I wasn't able to check on my way home when I passed it.

Comment

Bamford 3-6 Chapel Town
                          Hope Valley League Premier Division

Terrific entertainment as expected in a game that no one would have guessed had nothing riding on it. The visitors edged a cagey first half hour before Bamford took the lead with a cross from their right back that sailed over the Chapel keeper's head. Poor marking at the far post made it 1-1, penalties were exchanged for 2-2 before a cracker from the edge of the box gave Bamford the lead for the second and last time. A terrible goal kick which barely reached the half way line was returned with interest for 3-3 which seemed to knock the stuffing out of the home side who barely had a touch after that with Chapel running out comfortable winners.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                            FT: Boreham Wood 1-4 Maidenhead United

A crowd of 651 saw a much better second half than the first half with Boreham at least making an attempt to score and putting a bit of effort in. I sat in their newish stand which sits opposite the changing rooms and had a great view of the pitch. Nothing of note really happened, just an end of season game with nothing to play for but by God, it feels good to be back!
                            Nothing of note apart from Maidenhead's reserve keeper coming on as an outfield player and scoring!

Comment

The plan for yesterday was to watch the Staffordshire League match between Walsall Phoenix and Leek CSOB. However Leek were unable to raise a team and so I diverted to Plan B - the final of the West Midlands (Regional) League Cup. This was played at Tipton Sports Academy, a sports centre whose educational virtues I cannot vouch for. The football pitch is at the centre of an athletics track and most of the small stand was closed off, so viewing wasn't great.

The match was between Shifnal Town and OJM Black Country, neither of whom will be in the West Midlands League next season after it lost its top tier in the FAs restructure - both go into the Midland League; Black Country into Division One whilst Shifnal are promoted to the Premier.

Shifnal were much the better side in the first half and were deservedly 2-0 up at half time. However they threw their advantage away in the first five minutes of the second half, giving away two penalties, both of which Black Country converted. Shifnal retook the lead with about quarter of an hour left but Black Country again equalised to send it to penalties. Both sides largely failed to emulate the Europa League finalists, with Black Country's keeper making three saves as his side won 3-2.

I then made a quick trip to Telford for the second final of the day, this time the Shropshire Senior Cup. This involved Whitchurch Alport and ..... Shifnal Town. Apparently neither the County FA or the league would change the date of their showpiece, and so Shifnal had to split their squad to play both finals.

This was the second time this week that Shifnal and Whitchurch were playing a final at Telford, Shifnal having won the Shropshire Premier Cup final in midweek (don't ask what the difference is between the Shropshire Senior Cup and Shropshire Premier Cup). Whitchurch's hopes for revenge were extinguished early on as Shifnal showed some clinical finishing, taking a 3-0 lead at half time and then adding the only goal of the second half to secure their trophy.

Comment

I've noticed Shifnal's double double-headers recently (didn't they have two semi-finals on the same day too?) and fervently hope someone has used the headline PUTTING IN A SHIFNAL to describe them.

Comment

Chatham Town 4 Sheppey United 4
                                  Kent Post-Lockdown Tournament
                                  The Bauvill Stadium

This competition between five Southern Counties East League teams (the above two, Lordswood, Rochester United and Gravesend's Punjab United) had increasingly caught my eye in recent weeks due to high crowds and impressive goal tallys. The 8 games so far including this tie have produced 45 goals and this match was watched by just shy of 700 people.

I think a lot of the reason for that level crowd must be the efforts Chatham have made to attract the local community and create a very individual and attractive stadium to watch football in. There is a brand new and very atmospheric terrace behind one goal and a smart seated stand running two thirds of the length of one side of the pitch. The real clincher for many people though is the first beach bar I have ever seen at a football ground which runs along the other third of that side, complete with actual sand in places.

Sheppey matched Chatham's ground innovations with that of their change shirt design which was one of the most peculiar I've seen in recent years. I've magnified the best photo I got of it but can't do it justice. It was halves of multi-toned dark blue on one side and a strange dark & light blue and white "urban camouflage"/splatter effect on the other. Once I got over the shock of them walking out in it I had another surprise on realising they were being led out by former Wimbledon hero Jack Midson who is their centre-forward, captain and coach at 37.

The high scoreline wasn't due to any friendly match laxity as there was a real quality and intensity to both side's play as well as clearly a fierce local rivalry. I'm not going to detail every goal but Sheppey took the lead twice only to be pegged back before Chatham made it 3-2 with the help of a lineman who awarded a soft looking penalty for handball. Midson chipped in with an equaliser before Chatham scored a fourth when their striker appeared to palm a cross in, missed by the same linesman. Midson soon got yet another equaliser to finish the scoring even though both sides hammered away at each other for the final ten minutes to get a winner.

I'll certainly try to get to another game or two in the tournament, though I can't help thinking they've made a mistake scheduling the final against an England group game in the Euros.

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-06-2021, 13:14.

Comment

I'm guessing no-one here is at the London Senior Cup final this arvo? Tooting & Mitcham currently leading Wimbledon 1-0 after about...oh, 2-0 now after 75 minutes.

Comment

2-1 FT. Gratz to T&M (is Nocturnal Submission not a T&Mer of some kind?) . We've still only won it six times.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                        Chatham Town 4 Sheppey United 4
                                        Kent Post-Lockdown Tournament
                                        The Beavuill

This competition between five Southern Counties East League teams (the above two, Lordswood, Rochester United and Gravesend's Punjab United) had increasingly caught my eye in recent weeks due to high crowds and impressive goal tallys. The 8 games so far including this tie have produced 45 goals and this match was watched by just shy of 700 people.

I think a lot of the reason for that level crowd must be the efforts Chatham have made to attract the local community and create a very individual and attractive stadium to watch football in. There is a brand new and very atmospheric terrace behind one goal and a smart seated stand running two thirds of the length of one side of the pitch. The real clincher for many people though is the first beach bar I have ever seen at a football ground which runs along the other third of that side, complete with actual sand in places.

Any idea if the beach bar is just in place for this tournament? Can't be much demand for a pina colada in Medway in Jan & Feb.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal Staples View Post

Any idea if the beach bar is just in place for this tournament? Can't be much demand for a pina colada in Medway in Jan & Feb.
                                          I'd like to think it is permanent but you raise a valid point.

Comment

Wimbledon 1 Tooting & Mitcham United 2
                                            London Senior Cup Final
                                            Hendon FC, Silver Jubilee Park

My first and only competitive Dons match of the season but under unusual circumstances. With the u23s who usually play in this competition ruled out by strict close season timetables the squad fielded consisted of two 18 year olds and the rest even younger. In those circumstances it was a very pleasant surprise that they not only matched a senior semi-pro side but outplayed them for much of the game.

It's a pity that the two Tooting goals just after the 70 minute mark were the product of a mistake (a terrible pass out by the keeper straight to a Terrors forward who squared it to a team mate to prod in to an empty net) and a foul & fluke (the keeper was taken out at a corner and the ball sailed in direct or with the slightest touch from a T&M player on the line, hard to tell exactly) . They came back strongly after to pull back a goal after 85 minutes and create enough pressure to almost get a deserved equaliser with the goalie up for a late corner and free kick.

Wimbledon's Wales u17 attacking midfielder Morgan Williams was the clear man of the match (even if the official award went to one of the victorious side as tradition dictates) and I very much hope he breaks in to the first team relatively soon. Norwegian age group international centre forward Aron Sasu was another standout player as was centre back Ethan Sutcliffe and late sub Paris Lock who almost turned the game with his pace & directness as well as fantastic control to set up the Dons goal.

About 600 in attendance on a searingly hot day and Silver Jubilee Park was far nicer than on any of the cold mid-season evenings I've visited before, the Hindu temple overlooking it being particularly respondent in the sunshine.

Comment

Denton Town 1-1 Winnington Ave 94
                                              Cheshire League Division One

More beers in the sunshine following a largely off-road bike ride through farm land that until recently I didn't know Manchester possessed. This is the late season that keeps on giving.

Had they not lost their first four games of the season and were there not a miserable one promotion slot available (is this typical at this level?) Denton may well have been looking at securing promotion to the Premier Division this evening. As it is the loss of 2 points in a well-matched contest which threatened on a number of occasions to burst into life without ever quite doing so means they are probably looking at another season in Division One.

The visitors from Northwich led at the break with a decent strike (pictured I think) following a corner which wasn't cleared properly. Denton, in red, nearly leveled early in the second half when a superb overhead from no.9 just cleared the bar. He didn't have to wait long for a goal - the best move of the game finished with him racing into the box to meet a pin point cross to the far post.

Both sides could have won it - the visitors missed one of those easier to score chances - but a draw was a fair result

Comment

Bishops Cleeve U18 2-1 Tuffley Rovers U18
                                                Cheltenham Youth League Floodlit Cup

My cousin was playing in his last u18s game for Bishops Cleeve last night and it just so happened to be a cup final at Evesham United's Halliwell and Spiers Jubilee Stadium so, having not watched any football (aside from my u10s) since December, I couldn't wait to get along.

Cleeve got off to a great start when my cousin got away on the left crossed a peach of a ball onto the Cleeve 19's head who put it right in the corner from about 10 yards out. That was as good as it got in the first half for Cleeve though as Tuffley took control of the game and played some really nice passing football. On more than one occasion they carved Cleeve open only for either poor finishing or last ditch defending to stop them. Even when they did get through a goal was ruled out for offside - correctly I hasten to add. Cleeve were sitting far too deep with the midfield indistinguishable from the defence at times and even the Cleeve attack rarely getting out of the Cleeve defensive 3rd. It was only a matter of time then that Tuffley finally got their reward when their number 8 played a 1-2 with the 10 on the edge of the box and slotted the ball beautifully into the far corner past the despairing keeper. 1-1 at half-time was the least Tuffley deserved.

The second half was more competitive, and Cleeve pushed forward more which made it less of the one-sided affair in the first half. That didn't stop Tuffley creating the better chances though and on more than one occasion they were able to get away on the left and get decent crosses in only for last ditch defending or, on one occasion and absolutely outstanding point-blank save from the keeper, to thwart them. My cousin was taken off on about 60 mins when, having already been booked, he started to get a bit chopsy. His replacement though was the hero with his first touch when a long ball forward was nodded down to him on the right of the penalty area and his firm shot beat the keeper at the near post. The game reverted back to type immediately after this with Tuffley probing and doing everything but score, including twice hitting the bar, on one occasion it bouncing down but not over the line. Sometimes you just know it's not your day, and so it proved when in the last minute the ref refused a, somewhat hopeful, cry for a penalty from the Tuffley side and, when the ball was cleared the final whistle went.

I was well chuffed for my cousin, I've seen a good few of his games this season, including playing for Cleeve's men's team in the Hellenic League and FA Vase, but you couldn't help but feel for Tuffley. They were brilliant and at times it seemed almost impossible for them not to win. As I said to him and his dad, sometimes your name's on the cup. That was definitely the case for Bishops Cleeve last night.

Comment

Working...
                                                X