No announcement yet.

Elections to the Football League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Leicester City and Dark chocolate hobnobs according to my mobile.

Comment

This is fascinating. Who were the Argonauts? How close was Pontypridd to having a football league team? What is the name of the book GO is referring to?

Comment

I'm guessing he is referring to Denied FC by Dave Twydell, which was published in 2001. I got my copy from Sportspages on Charing Cross Road. Argonauts were a club that never played a game, nor had any players, but who planned to play at White City or Wembley Stadium.

Comment

The Argonauts were a proposed club who would have formed and played at Wembley. They never were, actually, a team - they were only ever a daft proposal that never got off the drawing board. Bit like if Chris Grayling had been in charge.

Comment

Sounds like London County Cricket Club (a late Grace vehicle that briefly played at Crystal Palace) without the "success".

Interestingly, the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL began play in 1873

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

How come a guest from 12 years ago has the same fave biscuit and football team as me?
              Clearly a guest.

Can't spell "minuscule"...

Comment

I'm a little confused as how amateur clubs like Ashington could have survived in a professional league, or why they would want to try. Bishop Auckland never did.

Having a shit ground also seems to have been no deterrent.

Unluckiest team - maybe Altrincham, late 70s to early 80s.
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 18-05-2019, 11:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  I'm a little confused as how amateur clubs like Ashington could have survived in a professional league, or why they would want to try. Bishop Auckland never did.

Enfield had a very good team in the late 70's early 80's

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                    I'm guessing he is referring to Denied FC by Dave Twydell, which was published in 2001. I got my copy from Sportspages on Charing Cross Road. Argonauts were a club that never played a game, nor had any players, but who planned to play at White City or Wembley Stadium.
                    Likewise on source of book. Simon Inglis Football League & Men Who Made It also has comprehensive detail of annual re-election campaigns.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                      I got my copy from Sportspages on Charing Cross Road
                      My most missed shop ever.

Comment

Something you share with many of us, Sporting.

Among other things, it was where I first discovered WSC.

Comment

Unfortunately the manner of it's closing left a bitter feeling with many small publishers and fanzines.

Comment

What happened?

Comment

Closed overnight owing money to a lot of people iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

One particular oddity from the 1980 near-miss - "The Grimsby representative was prevented from voting by being in the wrong part of the meeting room" ?

Comment

Was he under the table? Hiding in a wardrobe?

Comment

Working...
                                  X