Summer signings 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RobW View Post
    Hakeeb Adelakun signs for Lincoln having left Bristol City. Was on loan at Hull until January last season
    Hakeeb Adeola Abiola Ayinde O. O. J. Adelakun to give him his (almost) full name. It's certainly never happened for him at Bristol City since he left Scunny, just 7 appearances in 3 odd years, and the location of his loan moves and now transfer (Rotherham, Hull, Lincoln) suggest he has an attachment to the Scunthorpe area, so perhaps settling back there permanently will unlock his potential.

Comment

Commentators seem obsessed with strikers' records against particular clubs but I would have thought such stats were coincidences rather than having some underlying causation.

Comment

Not so much the commentators as the people who compile the stats packs commentators get ahead of every game. The ones who spout something different are the ones doing their own homework as well as using the packs.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

Hakeeb Adeola Abiola Ayinde O. O. J. Adelakun to give him his (almost) full name. It's certainly never happened for him at Bristol City since he left Scunny, just 7 appearances in 3 odd years, and the location of his loan moves and now transfer (Rotherham, Hull, Lincoln) suggest he has an attachment to the Scunthorpe area, so perhaps settling back there permanently will unlock his potential.
          Now that's not a statement you often hear.

Comment

Teddy Bishop is about to be announced as a Lincoln signing. Could be useful addition if he's lucky with injuries. I assume it's Bishop anyway, the club teased a photo of an arm and a tattoo 'T.B.'

Christ, maybe we've signed Blair.

Comment

Why would someone get their own initials tattooed on them?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                Why would someone get their own initials tattooed on them?
                In case they got lost?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  Commentators seem obsessed with strikers' records against particular clubs but I would have thought such stats were coincidences rather than having some underlying causation.
                  I would also have thought so, but they can be fun co'incidences. Like Callum Robinson scoring five league goals last season, four of them against Chelsea.

Comment

Wednesday have signed Bailey Peacock-Wossname from Burnley on loan and Lewis Wing from Boro (I'm assuming that's also a loan, though I haven't seen it written down anywhere)

Comment

Season long loans in both cases. Now if we could just sign some strikers - that Harry Kane fella would be a good addition - we'll win everything this season.

Comment

The Kane saga is dragging on way too long.

Comment

Varane confirmed, pending a medical. Blimey.

Comment

TAB will be along any minute to pop that happy bubble of yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              The Kane saga is dragging on way too long.
                              Not moving is going to kind of drag on forever. Unless there is another bidder than Manchester City it simply isn't going to happen based on valuation differences of about 40 million quid (or more).

Comment

I just had a wtf moment when I saw the rumoured fee for Varane, then realised I was mixing him up with Pepe and he wasn't in his mid 30s after all.

Comment

There are more than a few people in Spain who think that Varane has become too slow for La Liga, which raises interesting questions about this deal.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    There are more than a few people in Spain who think that Varane has become too slow for La Liga, which raises interesting questions about this deal.
                                    was he slower or was he just more exposed as the midfield in front of him aged and provided less cover? It's difficult to think of two centre halves who looked more leaden footed and ponderous in a game vs man utd than upamecano and konate when their midfielders left them to deal with rashford, and they're anything but slow. Even usain bolt would look slow faced with a player running from deep into the space behind him.

I'm not keen on man utd buying a player older than 26. But It depends on how fit he is and how well he can avoid injury. Aside from a brush with covid he's had one two week absence with injury in each of the last three seasons. One thing is certain though, if it takes him any time at all to settle into the premier league, we'll be hearing all about it long after he settles in, and it will be mostly solksjaer's fault.

Comment

It's a fair question and I guess we will find out.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

In case they got lost?
                                        I say this in all seriousness, I don't have a history of alzheimer's in my family but one thing that had me on the fence about getting tattoos below my elbow is the possible freakout that could come seeing ink in my arms if I were to get dementia or alzheimer's. In the end that didn't stop me but it continues to keep me on the fence when I consider going below my wrists and onto my hands.

Comment

The other key question about Varane, of course, is will he be an upgrade on Victor Lindelöf? And the answer is that surely he will be, because have you fucking seen Victor Lindelöf play football?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                            The other key question about Varane, of course, is will he be an upgrade on Victor Lindelöf? And the answer is that surely he will be, because have you fucking seen Victor Lindelöf play football?
                                            Presumably Varane is better in the air.

https://twitter.com/themontytweets/status/1175852347567878153
                                            Last edited by RobW; 28-07-2021, 10:42.

Comment

Wycombe have acquired Sam Vokes, presumably to be the new lead striker after Uche Ikpeazu was bought by Middlesbrough.

Sam is Wycombe's third signing, after Josh Scowen and Sulley Kaikai. The latter will hope to fill the gap created by the departure of Fred Onyedinma to Luton.

Comment

Theo Archibald has signed for Orient on a season loan. He only played 7 league games (pretty much always from the bench iirc) last season, but what little I did catch, I liked. Think he sees himself as a right-winger but if memory serves me correct he always seemed to be on the left and cutting inside. He's only 23 so I hope he'll get some valuable experience and that we see him back at the Bank, though think he is only on a one year deal.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                  Wednesday have signed Bailey Peacock-Wossname from Burnley on loan and Lewis Wing from Boro (I'm assuming that's also a loan, though I haven't seen it written down anywhere)
                                                  Some of us quite like Lewis Wing. It looks like the manager isn't one of them as he was shipped out to Rotherham for the last half of last season. Looking at his stats he's not scored as many as he seems to have but he's always prepared to give it a go. Hope he does well. Chelsea have signed Marcus Bettinelli who we had on loan last season. I know he'll be third-choice 'keeper so is unlikely to play much, but for a club like Chelsea I think your third-choice needs to be decent just in case you do need him. Perhaps we didn't see him at his best, but the feeling was he wasn't really any better than what we already had access to.

Comment

Originally posted by lambers View Post
                                                    Wycombe have acquired Sam Vokes, presumably to be the new lead striker after Uche Ikpeazu was bought by Middlesbrough.

Sam is Wycombe's third signing, after Josh Scowen and Sulley Kaikai. The latter will hope to fill the gap created by the departure of Fred Onyedinma to Luton.
                                                    That looks like really good business to me. Kaikai, especially, impressed me last season with Blackpool and I was sure he'd be playing in the championship this year, either with them or someone else.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X