Fan message board Comments on Israel/Palestine Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan message board Comments on Israel/Palestine Poll

Having just had a look at the Oxford United Message board where apart from a couple of regular far right posters the comments are almost entirely anti- the bombing of Gaza, including from at least one fan who identifies as Jewish I'm curious to know whether that is broadly true for your club';s message board,

If there is a thread are opinions:
    Strongly pro-Palestine
    28.57%
    Strongly pro-Israel
    0%
    Tends to pro-Palestine
    28.57%
    Tends to pro-Israel
    14.29%
    More or less evenly split
    28.57%

Not a lot being said on the Argyle boards. I've just glanced in at the one I tend to avoid and can't see it being discussed at all, while on my preferred board I'd say is the tone is more anti-Israel rather than pro-Palestinian if that makes sense. Not quite drifting into anti-semitism but perilously close. Only seven posts though, the Tory corruption thread has seen much more action over the week.

Comment

It's a bit of a mess - a mix of unamusing memes and ill informed opinions, misunderstandings and arguments between posters, anti-muslim racism (swiftly corrected and condemned), the odd well thought out contribution, but the general theme of the thread is anti-religion rather than pro either side.

Comment

It's largely been along posters political lines. Since many of the once Labour supporters have turned their backs on the party, there's more Tories on there now and hence more support for Israel. Largely though, more anti religion and apathy at a problem none can see being satisfactorily resolved.

Comment

Non-existent

Comment

There is one more sort of widespread message board thingy that I don't visit because it's shit. Dunno if it's been mentioned there. The more restricted one I do post on, it hasn't. Nor on our FB group, as far as I've noticed.

Comment

Nothing on Sporting Gijon sites, though there is a discussion on how easy it is to buy speed and LSD in pubs in Cork city centre.

Comment

Comment

I'm not going to even look at the main Clarets fan site, which usually takes the position that Genghis Khan was too much of a soft tree-hugging lefty.

Comment

No thread on the board I go on. A brief mention of Choudhury and Fofana's flag-waving on the post-Cup final thread centred on the possibility of the players facing FA action. No-one said they shouldn't have done it and the most 'liked' comment was "Yeah, showing support for victims of war crimes is apparently a bad look". Based on this I'd say 'tends to pro-Palestine'.

Comment

No thread on our board either. I find that quite surprising actually, I avoid the non-football section of our forum like the plague, but there's usually a couple of extreme views from all sides on things like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                        Nothing on Sporting Gijon sites, though there is a discussion on how easy it is to buy speed and LSD in pubs in Cork city centre.
                        Who knew that the Asturian diaspora was so large in the People's Republic!

Comment

I'd rather give the political opinions of your average football supporters a very wide swerve. I imagine it would be like sifting through Laurence Fox's Twitter account.

Comment

Yep. I have no desire to see what RAWK make of this (or, indeed, anything else). Inasmuch as I give a shit about Liverpool at present.

EDIT: I've almost certainly used "inasmuch" incorrectly there. Fuck it.
                            Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 17-05-2021, 12:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                              No thread on our board either. I find that quite surprising actually, I avoid the non-football section of our forum like the plague, but there's usually a couple of extreme views from all sides on things like this.
                              Same goes for the Southampton forum I observe - no mention at all, and if there were, it would be a goading 'its just bantz m8' and would provoke no more than a couple of informed responses before descending into the Daily Mail comments section.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                I'm not going to even look at the main Clarets fan site, which usually takes the position that Genghis Khan was too much of a soft tree-hugging lefty.
                                I think somebody did a report a few years ago that Genghis Khan had had a positive impact on the environment, although this was by removing the environmental impact of the people he had killed.

The last non-football post on PortChat was in March, asking what sort of live music people would like to see in the bar when permitted (no replies to date).

Comment

A quick look at Our Wee Country (NI, hardly mentioned*) and You Boys in Green on Tour (RoI, mainly but not overwhelmingly anti-Israel)

* NI fans like local Unionists generally tend to sympathise with Israel, although not necessarily vice versa. Perhaps as the North Belfast Jewish community (about 1,500 when I was born) is now reduced to 80 people, 80% of whom are over 80 years old. .

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                    Same at LoftforWords. No sign as yet of any discussion on the issue, which is unusual.

Comment

Chester - Devachat - overwhelmingly pro-Palestine, in a thread that goes back to May 2018.

Comment

Haven't looked at the 'General Chat' on the Palace message board for years. I don't remember Israel/Palestine being a particularly strong feelings kidney back in the day.

I do remember a thread I never dared look at, titled 'Political Correctness: Has it gone too far?' which was constantly at the top of the board and seemed to have ten thousand new answers every day.

Comment

Well I've managed to find it now on the Southampton board, tucked away inside a thread about planning to boo players taking the knee at St Mary's tonight (because Marxism).

I would say an 80-20% split pro-Palestine before it descended to unresolvable playground name-calling.
                                          Last edited by andrew7610; 18-05-2021, 13:04.

Comment

One thread on the West ham board I visit - the opening post pretty much captures the essence

If I was Israeli I'd be well into it. Driving a tank round and running cunts over. If I was Palestinian I'd be well into it, throwing rocks at the cunts in tanks.

However I'm from Essex so I couldn't give a fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                                              Haven't looked at the 'General Chat' on the Palace message board for years. I don't remember Israel/Palestine being a particularly strong feelings kidney back in the day.

I do remember a thread I never dared look at, titled 'Political Correctness: Has it gone too far?' which was constantly at the top of the board and seemed to have ten thousand new answers every day.
                                              Is "feelings kidney" an expression I've not previously heard or autocorrect going rogue? Either way I'm using it from now on.

Comment

It sounds Brasseyeish

Comment

Hole in one for ad hoc

From the 'Sex' episode, a little googling reminds us: “Sex is a sumptuous glambabe in a hall of donkeys, or a sordid little incubus that looks like your granny. It’s a strong feelings kidney whichever way you slice it.”

Comment

Working...
                                                  X