No announcement yet.

Who should stay, who should go? 2021 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danny Rose leaves Spurs today. My fave player for many reasons but two stand out. His sensational debut goal against Arsenal. His genuine passion and hatred of Chelsea.

good luck Danny we’ll miss you. Club have treated you really badly.

Comment

Omar Richards from Reading to Bayern Munich. He'll likely have to beat out Phonzie Davies to get much game time.

Meanwhile WBA confirm Charlie Austin is leaving, making his QPR return much more likely

Comment

Sunderland.

Aidan McGeady, Denver Hume and Luke ONiens contracts are all expired but have been offered new. Which is about what I and most I know would have hoped for.
        Charlie Wyke in “talks”. Wyke surely has to be the worst 30 goal in a season striker in FL history. If he’s not facing goal, between the posts, between the six yard line and penalty spot then he’s impossible to get involved in the game. Hes 6’3”” iirc but 5’3” when he jumps, he’s weak, he’s slow, he has no ball control, he has no fight, he has no ability to bring anyone into the game, can’t defend and has no pace. We’ve relied on him getting into the above position and McGeady bouncing the ball off him then into the goals direction. Boro, Forest and Ipswich are rumoured to be interested, maybe they’ve not seen him? We signed a lad from Ross County in January who looks twice the player already.

Oliver Younger an academy kid has had a one year option taken up. Hopefully a few of “the kids” get a lot more game time next season. I’ve never seen him play.

Callum McFadzean, Connor McLaughlin, Chris Maguire, Max Power, Josh Scowen and Remi Matthews all not offered new contracts. McFadzean was an emergency LB purchase when Hume received a long term injury who tried hard, never hid but was an obvious weak point as the season went on. Chris Maguire had C19 during the season and never seemed to regain full fitness, yet scored some spectacular goals for us. I get the impression he’s never lived up to his undoubted ability anywhere he’s played. Max Power has suffered from the same managerial mistake as George Honeyman in that he was named as captain despite probably only being a bench warmer/back up in reality. A couple of early rapid red cards never helped his cause with the fans. Scowen was too similar to just about every central midfielder on our books and none of them were impressive either. Remi Matthews is just another in a long line of crap keepers since Pickford escaped. I wouldn’t have offered any of them a new deal, neither would anyone I know.

Grant Leadbetter has retired. I like Grant but this may have been a season too far for him. Hopefully the rumours of a backstage role for him are true.

Jordan Jones and Jake Vokins return from loan to their parent clubs. I never saw Vokins so can’t comment, Jones looks to be a L1 player at best, there’s talk of him going to his boyhood club Boro in the championship. Hmmm, we were quoted ?600k for him which was never gonna happen and I don’t think Gibbo is hoying money around these days.
        Dion Sanderson goes back to Wolves. He was easily our best defender but it took EVERY centre half at the club to be injured before he was selected. Which doesn’t reflect well on Johnson’s judgement. He’s way too good for L1. Newcastle are rumoured to be interested which would be a shame. Stick it out at Wolves kid.

Hopefully our new regime will also be easing out Aiden OBrien Carl Winchester, George Dobson and Will Grigg before pre season starts.

That leaves
        Lee Burge, Anthony Patterson, Arbenit Xhemajli, Bailey Wright, Benji Kimpioka, Dan Neil, Elliott Embleton, Jack Diamond, Josh Hawkes, Jordan Willis, Lynden Gooch, Ross Stewart, Tom Flaghan.

130yrs since joining the FL this is as bad as we’ve been. Incompetent owners, nepotism, rank stupidity and cost cutting has left us with yet another new regime in the boardroom. Can a 23 year old billionaire do better? I hesitate to say he can’t do any worse but so far he hasn’t put a foot wrong. This released list for once fills me with hope.......we’re going to be relegated aren’t we?
        Last edited by Sunderporinostesta; 27-05-2021, 22:11.

Comment

I never understood Sunderland signing Carl Winchester - he was good at Cheltenham and then at Forest Green, but I have no doubt he wouldn't have gotten in to our midfield last season, so going up a level seemed very strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
            I never understood Sunderland signing Carl Winchester - he was good at Cheltenham and then at Forest Green, but I have no doubt he wouldn't have gotten in to our midfield last season, so going up a level seemed very strange.
            A very strange deal.
            An old mate of the first team coach offered a three year deal and rarely selected when everyone was fit. It took an injury crisis resulting in two central midfielders playing the last quarter of the season in defence for him to even regularly make the match day squad. Three midfielders then released who were all chosen ahead of him when fit. The L1 financial dire straits jackets were still being worn back then which is being blamed unofficially by club sources for his arrival. Two owners on from The Moyes Old Boys Reunion Club weve learnt nothing.

The new owner is introducing a data driven recruitment team and promises no one will be signed that doesn’t meet its requirements. High press, fast, non stop etc etc. A bunch that do will be offered to the head coach and he chooses his preferred option. Sounds great in theory, we shall see.
            He’s also spending a lot behind the scenes in direct contrast to the Netflix show clowns who wouldn’t even pay for batteries in the office wall clocks after the first seasons failure. They’d budgeted for one season in L1 and had buyers lined up for a quick profit. They now own something like 25% which is eroded every time Kyrille The Kid breaks into his trust fund and have been replaced on the board by a bunch of Dreyfus family firm heavyweights some of which were with his dad at Marseilles and Adidas I believe.
            It all sounds great on paper.
            Last edited by Sunderporinostesta; 28-05-2021, 07:43.

Comment

Have we discussed the Premier League's Released List: https://www.premierleague.com/news/2163104

Not all definite departures, but Palace are having a bit of a clear-out.

Comment

Surprised to see Fantasy Football 2019-20's John Lundstram on the Sheffield United list.

Comment

Surprised to Sheffield United's list at all, given that they're not a Premier League team

Comment

Lundstram made it abundantly clear some months ago that he wasn't going to sign a new contract.

Comment

Working...
                    X