No announcement yet.

AFC Wimbledon - by the fans for the fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never been to a womble name place, but I did once breakfast in a hotel alongside the FC Tom Tomsk squad

Edit- Duh, I've been to Wellington, New Zealand, so scratch the first bit.
    Last edited by Nesta; 12-05-2021, 19:09.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

According to Elizabeth Beresford, Haydon is a Womble. I don't know how much more canon a Womble can be.
      Why's he got no mates? He's never with the rest of the crew.

Comment

It's hard for mascots to develop lasting friendships.

Hangers on always wanting a piece of them, etc

Comment

Not sure about all these non-womble place people. I suspect they just can't remember.

Comment

I 've been to Bulgaria and listened to Orinoco Flow.

Comment

I'm surprised Gangster Octopus hasn't mentioned Trevor.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                I've never been to a womble name place, but I did once breakfast in a hotel alongside the FC Tom Tomsk squad
                I've seen Tom Tomsk play, though sadly it was an away game.

I don't think I've ticked off any Womble-named places, though Wiki does have reference to ones called Tokyo and Amsterdam.

I did live in Wimbledon for quite a while though and had my wedding reception in a hotel on the common after being married a stone's throw away.

It's nice to see a thread that started with someone's laughable contortions to try and troll The Dons has turned in to something far more wholesome.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-05-2021, 20:03.

Comment

When I got to Tomsk I'm going to pronounce Tomsk like Bernard Cribbins.

When they showed a dubbed version of The Wombles on s4c there was a character called Cousin Abergwyngregyn. TRUE STORY.
                  Last edited by Kowalski; 12-05-2021, 20:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                    When they showed a dubbed version of The Wombles on s4c
                    Eh? I don't remember that - I'd have much preferred having to watch that in every Welsh lesson than Wil Fucking Cwac Cwac.

Comment

I learned how to play The Wombling Song on the guitar when I was 7. Mike Batt didn't write it until he was 24.

Comment

Whenever I'm asked to list the albums that influenced my life, Wombling Songs is firmly in the top ten.

Comment

Cairngorm is one a fair number of folk will have been to (and he definitely is in the books).

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                            Cairngorm is one a fair number of folk will have been to (and he definitely is in the books).
                            Yes! Ticked off two in a week.

Comment

Marvelous. Turns out he made an appearance in a Cribbins episode too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SApWh96riFo&t=121s
                              Last edited by Kevin S; 13-05-2021, 09:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                I did live in Wimbledon for quite a while though and had my wedding reception in a hotel on the common after being married a stone's throw away.

The hotel in Cannizaro Park?

Comment

Yeah, Cannizaro House. Which was Wimbledon's team hotel for the 1988 Cup Final too.

It's a Hotel du Vin now but better than their normal level. We went back for the first time in ages and stayed the night for our twentieth anniversary in 2019.

Comment

Possibly the least known Womble is Wandle the Womble (the Wandle is the river that runs through Wimbledon) who was mascot in the dying embers of Wimbledon FC circa 2001-2002.

Again permission had to be sought from Elisabeth Beresford to formally approve the name. I suspect she may have become weary of approving names of Womble related mascots for Wimbledon football.
                                    Last edited by Favourite Worst Nightmare; 12-05-2021, 22:53. Reason: Incorrect forename for Womble creator

Comment

I've always presumed she was quite invested in it all, especially given this :

From 2000 to June 2003, the original Wimbledon F.C. had used a Womble mascot named "Wandle", named after the local River Wandle, as a club mascot. However, in light of the controversy over the moving of the club to Milton Keynes, the licence to use the character was withdrawn by the Wombles' creator, Elisabeth Beresford as a protest

Comment

Didn’t know that before, kudos to Beresford

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                          Yeah, Cannizaro House. Which was Wimbledon's team hotel for the 1988 Cup Final too.

It's a Hotel du Vin now but better than their normal level. We went back for the first time in ages and stayed the night for our twentieth anniversary in 2019.

Nice. I proposed to my wife in the gardens there.

The lawn was looking a bit parched when I took that photo though.

The summer festivals used to be great. I saw Bill Bailey, a bit of an unknown and late replacement for Alistair McGowan, do a storming set during one of the comedy evenings.

Comment

You've caught that new extension for the restaurant at an unflattering angle too, though it's very nice when you're in it.

Comment

It's a thing he does - he's spending a fortune on a loft conversion and couldn't be bothered to even mow his own lawn before sharing a picture of the view.

I suppose we should just be proud he managed to get the sofa out before he took it.

Comment

Oh, go and run up a mountain with an anvil in your rucksack!

Comment

When I was in the infants Elisabeth Beresford visited our school but only the juniors were allowed to go to her talk. I still feel a sense of burning injustice.

Oh. Turns out Great Uncle Bulgaria's full name is Bulgaria Coburg Womble, so anyone who's been to Franconia might be in there too.

Comment

One of our former OTF members had a schoolboy crush on Madame Cholet, as recounted on the Chart Music podcast.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X