AFC Wimbledon - by the fans for the fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AFC Wimbledon - by the fans for the fans

(as "search" doesn't seem to return the thread)

AFC Wimbledon abandon once and for all any pretence at being a "fan's club"

25 year season ticket announced - "rich people only - paupers not welcome"

https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/...ets-explained/

God I wish my club was this honest and transparent. I cant see for a moment how this does what you want it to Guy.

Comment

That does seem an odd take.

Comment

(not sure which thread you were looking for - "search" doesn't do much well tbh. But there are people here who can find things)

Comment

Sounds like a solid fundraiser to me

Comment

It's more of a bringing forward revenue thing, rather than raising additional funds in total. Although with people who can stump up ?10k up front, you hope to be able to get more off them in future when they are "not paying" for their ST. So yeah you hope it brings in more overall. But mostly we want cash now to pay off debt.

I mean, paying off the debt saves interest obvs, and you'd expect the interest saved to be more than the cost of not getting any price increases out of people.

Comment

I too am disappointed that the club hasn't reached out to paupers when looking for people to front cash to allow the paying off of the ?4 million loan

Comment

That's a fantastic deal, though, isn't it? No cost of living increases, no promotion increases, guaranteed seat. Even if the prices go up by 2pc a year, that's a 28pc saving over the period.

Comment

(Average house price in Wimbledon is about a million by the way, or about 500k for a flat. So there are probably plenty of folk who could find another 10k.)

Comment

I would love to learn more about why they prefer 25-year season tickets versus 2.5x the amount of 10-year tickets.

That aside, I am not sure why this is a problem any more than season tickets, loyalty points and other stuff in the game favor people with more money. They always seem to get nicer seats too. And when you consider this as a rather binary "ask for money in return for a product" versus donations or defaulting on the ground you spent the whole life of the club aspiring to get... I really fail to see what the problem is.

Comment

And also, if you're going to complain about fans being shafted, whether they are or not, surely you have to put "Bye, the fans", not "by the fans" in your thread title?

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                        I would love to learn more about why they prefer 25-year season tickets versus 2.5x the amount of 10-year tickets.
                        Every long-term ST we sell (to use the cash now to repay debt) means we "lose out" on all of that person's ST revenue next season. And we don't want that to be too big a number.

Comment

Makes sense, but makes me want to see what the model was for the bridging loan. The impact of COVID is likely very secondary - or - we are going to see a lot of other clubs try some similar moves to sort out their cashflow.

Whatever - it is refreshing to see a club as up front about these things.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

AFC Wimbledon abandon once and for all any pretence at being a "fan's club"

25 year season ticket announced - "rich people only - paupers not welcome"
                            I don’t understand what point you are trying to make. The 25 year season tickets (which I personally am not in a position to afford) aren’t the only tickets available. People can buy a 1 year season ticket, or pay match by match if they wish.

As others have pointed out, it’s a way to try and generate cash up front in order to reduce debt.

Comment

Went to Tobermory when I was in Mull and I wondered if it was the first time I'd ever been to a place that they named a Womble after. Then I remembered I've been to Bulgaria, so it wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                Went to Tobermory when I was in Mull and I wondered if it was the first time I'd ever been to a place that they named a Womble after. Then I remembered I've been to Bulgaria, so it wasn't.

There's a load of new ones and I presume that you've been to Stepney.

Comment

I must have taken you down the Haydons Road.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                    Makes sense, but makes me want to see what the model was for the bridging loan.
                                    I think it was "Can we borrow the money? Great".

Comment

If you've ever been to an away game to Telford United then you've been to Wellington as well, though I don't think it was that particular Wellington they named him after.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                        I must have taken you down the Haydons Road.
                                        Is Haydon canon?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                          That's a fantastic deal, though, isn't it? No cost of living increases, no promotion increases, guaranteed seat. Even if the prices go up by 2pc a year, that's a 28pc saving over the period.
                                          A 10k loan can cost less than 750 quid over five years, so even that is very worthwhile.

Comment

Cholet, Adelaide and Bulgaria for me I think.

Comment

Is Haydon canon?
                                              According to Elizabeth Beresford, Haydon is a Womble. I don't know how much more canon a Womble can be.

Comment

I've never been anywhere that a Womble was named after I obviously haven't lived.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

According to Elizabeth Beresford, Haydon is a Womble. I don't know how much more canon a Womble can be.
                                                  He's not in the books I think.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X