Up and down like a yoyo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up and down like a yoyo!

Or a rollercoaster! Or a whore's drawers!

Has anyone beaten Fulham's current record of going up,down,up,down in four consecutive seasons, in and out of two divisions? In England or elsewhere? Anyone managed five or more?
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 11-05-2021, 08:50.

Only six short of the European record

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...or_relegations

Comment

Gangster Octopus, come on down, or up, or down ...

Comment

Rotherham have of course remained ahead of Fulham's record this very season.

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
        Or a rollercoaster! Or a whore's drawers.
        'Bride's nightie' was the vernacular I recall from all those gentle 1970s sitcoms.

Comment

On a tangent - how many teams currently in the 91 but outside the top flight have been relegated as few times as Wimbledon?

Comment

Morecambe claim never to have been relegated, or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
              Or a rollercoaster! Or a whore's drawers!

Has anyone beaten Fulham's current record of going up,down,up,down in four consecutive seasons, in and out of two divisions? In England or elsewhere? Anyone managed five or more?
              The one I always remember in after New Year Donny Rovers coming back down again faster than the Christmas decorations.

Comment

Bolton managed five consecutive promotions and relegations in the mid-to-late 90s, between the first and second tiers.

Comment

Aren't Northampton Town the "go to" club for this one?

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                    Morecambe claim never to have been relegated, or something like that.
                    Ah indeed, they do. And it looks like a righteous claim, to me. They've spent much less time in the league, obvs, but even so, a righteous claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                      Aren't Northampton Town the "go to" club for this one?
                      They went from the Fourth to the First and back in eleven seasons, but did not change level every year

Comment

Well, my lot tends to stick around in the top flight by a year or so before going down and then up again. It's as regular as a pig on laxatives. I really long for a boring season in mid-table.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                          Bolton managed five consecutive promotions and relegations in the mid-to-late 90s, between the first and second tiers.
                          is it not “just” four?

94/95 - promoted
                          95/96 - relegated
                          96/97 - promoted
                          97/98 - relegated
                          98/99 - lost play-off final to Watford

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            Rotherham have of course remained ahead of Fulham's record this very season.

'Bride's nightie' was the vernacular I recall from all those gentle 1970s sitcoms.
                            Also like the Assyrian Empire, from a similar era and source

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Cogito View Post

Also like the Assyrian Empire, from a similar era and source

That's from Life of Brian, isn't it? I'm not sure I've ever heard it compared to a '70s sitcom before!

Comment

I think you can't have a sitcom fillum, technically. But it is from the 70s. And comedic. And there were situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

The one I always remember in after New Year Donny Rovers coming back down again faster than the Christmas decorations.
                                  Wait, surely the 'down before the Christmas decorations' line doesn't apply purely to Doncaster Rovers!

Rovers recently had a run of six seasons where we only stood still once...
                                  2012... relegation from 2nd tier
                                  2013... 3rd tier title
                                  2014... relegation from 2nd tier
                                  2015... fallow (mid-table in 3rd tier)
                                  2016... relegation from 3rd tier
                                  2017... promotion from 4th tier

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post

is it not “just” four?

94/95 - promoted
                                    95/96 - relegated
                                    96/97 - promoted
                                    97/98 - relegated
                                    98/99 - lost play-off final to Watford
                                    Yes, you're right--I double-counted 94/95.

And you just reminded me of that dismal day at Wembley I spent watching us lose the play-off.

Comment

"whore's drawers" was used by Rowan Atkinson's vicar character in the Not The Nine O'Clock News 'Songs Of Praise' sketch (referring to how church attendance rises and falls according to whether TV cameras are present) and was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title.

Comment

Up and down like a fiddler's elbow would be my euphemism of choice.

Comment

How about most changes of division in a decade? Northampton Town did 6 out of 9 from 1960-69, from 4th to 1st then back down to 4th.*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_F.C._seasons

*Is this also the quickest that a club has done that particular sequence?
                                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 11-05-2021, 14:12.

Comment

Swansea managed 4th to 1st and back again in the same timescale (78-86), a feat that I remember mainly because in the same time period, and longer, we remained resolutely in mid-table in the 3rd, unimpressed by these fly by nighters gallivanting though the divisions.

Comment

Older Wednesday fans refer to the 1950s as the "yo-yo years" given how much we oscillated between divisions 1 and 2. Bear in mind this all came in the days of two up two down.

1950 - promoted (on the last day, by a goal average of 0.008 over United)
                                              1951 - relegated (on goal average despite winning the last game 6-0)
                                              1952 - promoted as champions
                                              -
                                              1955 - relegated
                                              1956 - promoted as champions
                                              -
                                              1958 - relegated
                                              1959 - promoted as champions

Clearly the football gods decided that was too much excitement for us as we spent the whole of the 1960s in the first. We also haven't finished top of any division since this era.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                I think you can't have a sitcom fillum, technically. But it is from the 70s. And comedic. And there were situations.
                                                Hence "similar". Indeed, 1970s. From the people wot had a 30 minute TV comedy sketch show.

But I am intrigued, on the side, by thoughts of the genre of such films as "On the buses" or "Man about the house" ("The material is thinner than a bedsit wall")? Other than "film".

Comment

"Bad film"?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X