No announcement yet.

Getting your hands on some silverware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a photo of me and the Currie Cup (South African domestic rugby union cup competition) from when Western Province played a friendly game at Saracens in 2014. Think it cost a fiver for the photo, but money well spent to keep my then girlfriend happy. Nay touching.

The saddest part of the day was when they introduced a frail Joost Van Der Westhuizen to the crowd.

Comment

The World Youth Championship Trophy at Brazil's post-final celebrations in 1993. One time Australian captain Johnny Warren was basically an honorary Brazilian and I was taken to the do by him and Les Murray from SBS.

I had the old NSL Grand Final winners trophy overnight after taking it home from the pub at about 4am. The kids took it to show and tell.

I "earned" two NSL Grand Final winners medals as team manager (making sure players got on the right bus, as my wife put it).

Comment

Sadly only ever replicas in museum "experiences" etc. and the random pot you got to lift on the old Wembley tour for me.

However, a good friend of mine, a Manchester City fan, has a great story about coming downstairs one Sunday morning in the summer of 1976 when he was a nipper to find the actual League Cup on his breakfast table. It had been doing a tour of supporters' clubs, and had been in their local one the night before where it seems his older brother had been the least drunk of the members present so took responsibility for its custody.

Comment

I think the closest I ever got to a big trophy was when the FA Cup went on show in Harrogate when Leeds held it. Other than that it's my skittles trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
            Sadly only ever replicas in museum "experiences" etc. ....
            I've "done" a replica European Cup in the Barcelona museum. RL is a bit better for this sort of thing, I've touched the Challenge Cup, Super League trophy and League Leader's Shield. On the other side of things I remember the Webb Ellis trophy doing a tour after England won it and I think my son went to see it my mother, but don't know how close you were allowed to get.

Replicas and very much non-touchable, but the trophy room in the German football museum in Dortmund is, as you'd expect, quite something.

Comment

I'm of the belief that you should only be in the proximity of a cup you've won... so I think I've peaked at the surprisingly large trophy for Lincoln Sunday League, Secretary of the Year, unless you count the plaque that UEFA awarded to Wales fans for not being knobheads at Euro 2016, which by my logic you probably should.

Comment

Oh yeah I'd never do that "get your pic taken with the European Cup" thing that people do. I think I've only had a pic taken with one trophy, and I'm just not sure if it was the Conference South champions trophy or the Conference playoff winners trophy.

Comment

Have we done Ajax melting down the Eredivisie trophy to send out to their season ticket holders?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57086460

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    Must have been one of the years that the Los Angeles Kings won it.

Not dissimilar to my having seen the America's Cup in Lugano (after having seen it multiple times while bolted to the floor of the New York Athletic Club).
                    Was that as painful as it sounds?

Comment

I was wondering that too... Not as painful as The Mighty Trin's experience, judging by the quoted outcome of his attempt to please his girlfriend:
                      Originally posted by The Mighty Trin View Post
                      Think it cost a fiver for the photo, but money well spent to keep my then girlfriend happy. Nay touching.

Comment

I’d quite like to see that Nishlord photo.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                          In order of importance;

The Webb Ellis trophy

A cousin of a friend of mine used to be the head of public relations at the IRB, and rang him one Saturday afternoon. She was on the way to a World Cup qualifier between the USA and Canada and we could have a hour to see the trophy. No photographs for obvious reasons. It's probably the smallest major trophy out there.

The All Ireland football trophy ( the Sam Maguire cup)

Dublin have won the thing so often in recent years and given that the GAA has an attitude that the trophy is there for everyone, there's no excuse not to have held it at some stage, but I used to work with one of the winning team, and had a load of photos taken with it. Also the Leinster championship trophy.

League of Ireland championship trophy, FAi Cup, League Cup and Leinster senior cup.

All when Bohs won them, myself and my friend spent an enjoyable Monday afternoon in O Donoghues pub in Dublin, with the FAI Cup on the bar in front of us, when we won it in 1992. We let a group of Newcastle United fans take their pictures with it. As one of them said " closest that we'll come to seeing a cup " , 29 years later and unfortunately that's still true.
                          You're ranking the egg chasing World Cup ahead of the Leinster Senior Cup? Middle class, West Brit sell-out!

I've got my hands on all the major Iirsh football trophies with Dundalk winning a gazillion trophies over the past 7 seasons. My favourite memory of trophy handling was from 2002 when celebrating the FAI Cup win over elgiuapo4's Bohemians in the Cat and Cage pub down the road from Tolka Park. We were standing outside enjoying a pint when we noticed a guy walking down the road with two youngish girls and what we assumed to be a camogie or Irish dancing trophy. As he got closer he started to look a bit like Dundalk goalkeeper John Connolly, and indeed it was John Connolly on an impromptu tour with his kids and the FAI Cup trophy.

In recent years the National Sports Centre in Dublin have an annual open day where you can bring the kids and try various sports. Great day out. Anyway they usually have a bunch of trophies on display, one year that included the all-Ireland hurling and football trophies, the full range of soccer trophies and the Six Nations, Heineken Cup and Pro14 trophy. You weren't supposed to handle them but at the end of the day when it was nearly completely cleared out I got to lift the FAI Cup with my kids, naturally we were all decked out in Dundalk kit. The FAI Cup is a glorious trophy that goes back as far as the foundation of the state

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                            Oh yeah I'd never do that "get your pic taken with the European Cup" thing that people do. I think I've only had a pic taken with one trophy, and I'm just not sure if it was the Conference South champions trophy or the Conference playoff winners trophy.
                            My memory is telling me that the Conference South trophy was really ugly, like the FA Cup on steroids. I've also managed to persuade myself that it looked a bit like they had either not polished it or had polished it too much when they presented it to your lot. I really don't remember too much of that day because of the booze, though.

I did also manage to give both the FA Cup and the FA Trophy a sly fondle at the same time in the bar at Kingsmeadow once too when they were just sitting on a table there one time, though I don't remember what match that was. I've got a photo of them together somewhere.
                            Last edited by My Name Is Ian; 14-05-2021, 10:12.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post

You're ranking the egg chasing World Cup ahead of the Leinster Senior Cup? Middle class, West Brit sell-out!

I've got my hands on all the major Iirsh football trophies with Dundalk winning a gazillion trophies over the past 7 seasons. My favourite memory of trophy handling was from 2002 when celebrating the FAI Cup win over elgiuapo4's Bohemians in the Cat and Cage pub down the road from Tolka Park. We were standing outside enjoying a pint when we noticed a guy walking down the road with two youngish girls and what we assumed to be a camogie or Irish dancing trophy. As he got closer he started to look a bit like Dundalk goalkeeper John Connolly, and indeed it was John Connolly on an impromptu tour with his kids and the FAI Cup trophy.

In recent years the National Sports Centre in Dublin have an annual open day where you can bring the kids and try various sports. Great day out. Anyway they usually have a bunch of trophies on display, one year that included the all-Ireland hurling and football trophies, the full range of soccer trophies and the Six Nations, Heineken Cup and Pro14 trophy. You weren't supposed to handle them but at the end of the day when it was nearly completely cleared out I got to lift the FAI Cup with my kids, naturally we were all decked out in Dundalk kit. The FAI Cup is a glorious trophy that goes back as far as the foundation of the state
                              The FAI Cup is a fine trophy alright. One of the many hurdles to overcome in an All Ireland league would be which trophies to use .by contrast, the League of Ireland champions trophy is an ugly modern thing.

Comment

Touched the RL challenge cup at Wembley a bout 4 years ago shortly after it was presented. A real buzz.

won the University football Cup UAU in 79. At the time the top moment of my life.

Comment

Here's my son and I holding the League 2 trophy this afternoon.

Comment

He looks well chuffed. (As do you!)

Comment

Been going through a load of old-ish photos and found one of me with the Stanley Cup. I’ve also touched Frank Pietrangelo’s ring (oh, behave).

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                        Found it

Comment

On my first visit to Montevideo, my ex (who was my girlfriend at the time) and I went to the National Football Museum, which is in the main stand of the Estadio Centenario. It was such a new museum that there was a bloke in there painting the walls still on the staircase up to the main exhibition space and our guide out to the main stand for a look at the pitch was the receptionist's perhaps 10-year-old son. Anyway, we paid for our ticket, walked up the stairs past said painter, and turned a corner to find various trophies won by the Uruguayan national side (and God knows they've won a few). All but one were behind glass cases, and the one that wasn't – that was just sitting there on a table in this room without security cameras where we were the only people – was the trophy awarded to Uruguay for winning the inaugural Campeonato Sudamericano in 1916 (the tournament we now call the Copa América).

Reader, I was too much of a fucking chicken to walk over and hold it. And I've been kicking myself ever since. Haven't been back to the museum since (there's only really been one opportunity on my subsequent visits to Montevideo, and my current girlfriend isn't a football fan at all but still accompanied me to the monument on some anonymous street corner commemorating the first ever World Cup goal, so I didn't want to take the piss), but I have recommended it to others and some of them have informed me the trophy in question is now firmly secured in a glass case.

Comment

I went on a stadium tour at Brentford yesterday. The Gtech doesn't have much in the way of marble hallways but there were some interesting insights into the detailed planning and management that has brought the current success to the club. As if to emphasise that this shouldn't be taken for granted the shot-with-a-pot on offer was the [sponsor deleted] Championship Play Off Trophy.

Comment

I had my pic taken with the FAC in 73 at Roker. Not seen the photo for decades though.
                                              An old workmate was a member of a working man’s club in Hetton Le Hole on the outskirts of Sunderland. I think he only went there a few times a year to have a few pints with his dad and grandad and his grandads mates.
                                              One of whom was Bob Paisley who used to bring whatever they’d won that year up and stand them on the bar for everyone to pretend they could actually play the game. He had pics taken with everything but no one ever tipped non members that it was happening.

Last I heard the local plod used the club as an away fans prematch bar for Liverpool and Everton fans. The Liverpool lot would all have their pic taken outside Paisleys boyhood house front door which was of course painted red.

Comment

I've touched the 2/3rds size replica European Cup that Forest have but probably more interestingly also worn one of the gold medals of a multiple world masters powerlifting champion.

Comment

Was it heavy?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X