Getting your hands on some silverware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting your hands on some silverware

As alluded to in the latest mag thread, the Southern League shield is the most prestigious piece of silverware I have ever personally touched. This was back in 2003 when Tamworth were the runaway champions and the shield was being shown off at The Lamb.
    I imagine someone here has had a hands on moment with something bigger (competition standard rather than physical size, 'cause that shield is fucking massive). Anyone touched the World Cup? Or even better the original Jules Rimet? That would be really impressive.

When the World Cup was on display in Cardiff before the Brazil World Cup I asked the burly security guard how a person could get in and touch it. His response was "You don't!" I did get to pose with Fuleco the mascot though and got a free can of Coke Zero.

I have seen the League Cup up close and personal in the foyer of a big Tesco in Cardiff before a League Cup final and I have seen the Welsh Cup in the Barry Town clubhouse before a big televised game with TNS. The Sgorio pundits were discussing the match in front of it so no opportunity for a surreptitious handling of the silverware. It was then positioned behind the bar during the game.

So I have come close but not gotten my hands on any silverware.

Comment

Was up on holiday in the Highlands and went along to Inverness CT’s first home game after they won the Scottish Cup, which they had on display in the club shop for all to have a photo holding, which was an unexpected bonus. 2015, I think?

I just hope it wasn’t a replica, I remember holding the FA Cup at Prenton Park ahead of one the big cup ties around 1999/00, but I’m pretty sure that *was* a replica.

Comment

When the FA Cup went 'on tour' a few years ago it came to one of our village pubs, and for a fiver you could be photographed next to it. I took tge Roginettes down. There was a bloke in an ill-fitting suit who resembled the baddy out of Highlander stood just out of shot, to growl at people they weren't to even attempt to pick the Cup up or kiss it or anything daft.

Comment

Held the old Barclays League Division Four trophy when Rotherham won it in 1989.

Stood next to the old Six Nations trophy, you were only allowed to touch it if you'd actually won the thing. I think a lot of trophies across sport operate on a similar basis these days.

Not quite silverware as such, but have got a photo somewhere of me wearing the medal Howard Webb was awarded for reffing the World Cup Final.

Comment

You are Howard Webb AICMFP.

Comment

I've held an olympic (well, paralympic technically) gold medal

Comment

As I think I've mentioned on here before, I visited the Chelsea Museum in the autumn of 2012. My son had just started secondary school, had twice left his possessions on public transport, both of which had been handed in and were being stored at separate locations in Central London. Consequently, I'd had to take the day off of work to go and collect them and thought I'd include a trip to said venue to make the day less of a joyless trudge.

Anyway, we'd just won the Champions League and FA Cup, and when I got into the building there both trophies were, with just a friendly security guard in attendance. He asked me if I'd like to have a good look at them, which of course I did, giving the former a quick kiss and gently fondling the lid of the latter.

The guard just got a delighted "thank you."

Comment

In order of importance;

The Webb Ellis trophy

A cousin of a friend of mine used to be the head of public relations at the IRB, and rang him one Saturday afternoon. She was on the way to a World Cup qualifier between the USA and Canada and we could have a hour to see the trophy. No photographs for obvious reasons. It's probably the smallest major trophy out there.

The All Ireland football trophy ( the Sam Maguire cup)

Dublin have won the thing so often in recent years and given that the GAA has an attitude that the trophy is there for everyone, there's no excuse not to have held it at some stage, but I used to work with one of the winning team, and had a load of photos taken with it. Also the Leinster championship trophy.

League of Ireland championship trophy, FAi Cup, League Cup and Leinster senior cup.

All when Bohs won them, myself and my friend spent an enjoyable Monday afternoon in O Donoghues pub in Dublin, with the FAI Cup on the bar in front of us, when we won it in 1992. We let a group of Newcastle United fans take their pictures with it. As one of them said " closest that we'll come to seeing a cup " , 29 years later and unfortunately that's still true.

Comment

My step-brother has a picture of him running off with the European Cup under his arm (he works a lot for Manchester United). I ad a similar protected trophy experience with the Premier League (through Barclays) and a less protected encounter with the Championship / Division 1 trophy.

Comment

I went on a stadium tour of Wembley with my under-8s team back in the eighties. We got to walk up the steps and lift a trophy. I have no idea what it was, but it definitely wasn't one that any of us recognise. I'd show you a photo of me lifting the trophy, but (unthinkably nowadays) not a single person took a camera with them.

Comment

I once appeared on the front page of the local paper with my hands on the Premier League trophy. The trophy was on a tour of Barclays branches, and I had gone along with my brother to have a look. I was wearing my Southport shirt and happened to be there at the same time as the local paper's photographer.

Comment

A photo stood by the Stanley Cup. It was doing a tour of the NHL arenas and was being guarded by three men wearing white gloves. I can't remember if I touched it or not but I certainly wasn't allowed to pick it up. Probably wasn't allowed to touch it thinking back.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy. It was on the floor behind the counter at the Oakwell club shop. "Is that the Johnstone's Paint Trophy?" I asked. "Yes. Do you want to hold it for a bit?" came the reply. So my nine year old and I spent a few minutes quality time with it.

Comment

I've had my photo taken with a variety of replica trophies at Anfield, but the one that I enjoyed most was when someone left the door to the boardroom unlocked during a summer's day when I was there for a training course and I was able to sneak in and take a selfie with one hand on the European Cup. It was probably a replica like the ones in the museum, but with it being in the boardroom a tiny bit of me wonders if it was the real thing.

Comment

My son and I have had our photo taken with the National League title in 2016 and in 2019 I got to hold the BDO World Professional Championship trophy whilst having my photo taken with Glen Durrant at a darts exhibition. He practically thrust it into my hands.

Comment

That’s me seated, surrounded by family members, holding the Scottish League Cup at Hampden on 13th March 2016 following Ross County’s 2-1 win over Hibs in the final. Unfortunately I had to hand the cup back after the photo - I was planning on doing a runner with it...er maybe not. County had beaten Celtic in the semi final and local rivals Inverness in the quarters. The night before, I went to a concert by the magnificent band, The Bathers - in a no-seated venue, but was ushered up to the front row. If Carlsberg made perfect weekends, they would be hard pushed to better this one.

also twice got my photo taken holding the Premiership trophy. Both times at conferences at which Barclays were in attendance.
                                Last edited by DPDPDPDP; 10-05-2021, 20:22.

Comment

I've been close to the Stanley Cup but didn't take a picture.
                                  I've also been close to the NY Penn League's Championship Trophy. RIP.

Comment

I've randomly seen the Stanley Cup ... in Slovenia, at Lake Bled.

Comment

Must have been one of the years that the Los Angeles Kings won it.

Not dissimilar to my having seen the America's Cup in Lugano (after having seen it multiple times while bolted to the floor of the New York Athletic Club).

Comment

I've got a photo somewhere of me looking like* the most hungover man in the world, standing next to the European Cup.

*I looked that way because I was the most hungover man in the world. At that point.

Comment

I have also touched the Southern League shield.

One of the things that amazed me about the Diego Maradona film was how they let him walk around with the World Cup in the middle of massive crowds with seemingly very little security and also let him wave it from a great height over crowds.

Comment

Comment

Me and Hikmet Karaman with the only trophy that Gaziantepspor ever won.

Comment

My facebook profile pic used to be me holding the FA cup while saying "You fucking beauty" For some reason it was at the end of Grafton Street.

I got to hold the Liam McCarthy Cup when Michael O'Muirreachartaigh came to our primary school with the captain of the TIpp team. I may have been the only person in my school not to play hurling, but I was the only one who could speak Irish, so in the picture I went.

Nishlord wins this handily. He had a photo of him with the European cup when he was a kid, and he looked like he was going to explode.

Comment

I'm sure we've done this before but :

FA Cup
                                                  Premier League Trophy
                                                  Six Nations Trophy
                                                  Triple Crown Shield
                                                  The Ryder Cup
                                                  A quartet of Olympic Golds
                                                  A Paralympic Gold
                                                  Stood next to the European Cup but wasn't allowed to touch.

There are photos for most of the above somewhere.

I've held an Oscar too, it was for a boxing movie so I'm counting it as sporting silverware.
                                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 10-05-2021, 22:01.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X