Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palm Beach is an island . . .

Comment

Difficult to see this government not trying to score culture war points on the back of this
      Yeah but on what side? This is a genuinely conflicting issue for a proper Tory culture-warrior

Comment

What's going on? From silence and 'Murica, I have no idea. Is everyone ok? (Read the thread?)

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post

Yeah but on what side? This is a genuinely conflicting issue for a proper Tory culture-warrior
          Is it really?

I though that flog the lot of them and being back national service would still be the massively dominant view. It wasn't as if they were actually going to do anything about club ownership

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
            What's going on? From silence and 'Murica, I have no idea. Is everyone ok? (Read the thread?)
            Was all extraordinarily tame by old school standards

Comment

So, not 'old firm'?

Comment

More open day at end of term

Comment

There are injured police. That is not cool.Sorry. Never good to see anyone injured. (Why though? I don't see the point, other than Man City winning the league.)

Comment

Apologies if I view police claims of injuries with skepticism

Comment

No, sir. That isn't what I meant.

Comment

I though that flog the lot of them and being back national service would still be the massively dominant view. It wasn't as if they were actually going to do anything about club ownership
                        No, but posturing as sympathetic to fans' anti-ESL sentiments has been their strategy thus far. They can't pile in too far on the other side. Plus, you know, NORTHERNERS. TOWNS. "RED WALLS". Helping Ordinary People Do More Of The Things They Love.

Comment

Yeah, but you can do that with "proper passion" and "responsible support".

Set up a task force to address legitimate concerns.

Comment

One of the policemen got bottled.

I fucking hate police as much as the next twat. No-one deserves a broken bottle to the neck. Yeah, not the face.

Comment

Very much agreed

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                Apologies if I view police claims of injuries with skepticism
                                Yep. There is a possibility, that someone somewhere, is lying. I fucking hope so.

Comment

I'm sorry I joined this thread. I hope everyone is safe.

Comment

Yeah, but you can do that with "proper passion" and "responsible support".

Set up a task force to address legitimate concerns.
                                    I think if there's one notable tone-shift from Thatcher's heyday to this mob (and they're united by hard-right populism in general) it's in the utility of certain groups of people to them. Thatcher hated crowds, in general, and northerners, in general, because they jarred with her individualist credo. Yer modern Tory has realised that some crowds, in certain circumstances, have their uses. Hence their relative indifference towards the anti-mask dickheads' demo in London last week when compared with BLM protests. I'm not sure they'll be able to make much capital out of this. Certainly not compared to other gatherings

Comment

That's an intelligent take.

It will be a test of "message discipline" as I am quite sure that there are plenty of Tories (starting with the Home Secretary) who are chomping at the bit.

Comment

I'll be interested to hear what Gove says, if anything. Based on most accounts he is a genuine football supporter, so might (with a big emphasis) break ranks on this if Tory opinion goes sideways.

Comment

Jamie Carragher was fantastic, as was Gary Neville (who basically told the Glazers to fuck off right now). Roy Keane was good, Micah Richards was superb. And then there was Graeme Souness, who expressed his love for Abramovich and said good things are being done by Abu Dhabi, and was so anti the protests, I thought Norman Tebbitt had possessed his body. And thew feckless Sky host, who coukdn't stop talking about the "violence". And Sky News made that their talking point as well.

So for Carragher and Richards in particular standing up for the Man Utd fans -- while being in the pay of Sky -- was significant.

Apparently Michael Owen and Owen Hargreaves, punditting on another feed, were pro-fans as well.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                            Jamie Carragher was fantastic, as was Gary Neville (who basically told the Glazers to fuck off right now). Roy Keane was good, Micah Richards was superb. And then there was Graeme Souness, who expressed his love for Abramovich and said good things are being done by Abu Dhabi, and was so anti the protests, I thought Norman Tebbitt had possessed his body. And thew feckless Sky host, who coukdn't stop talking about the "violence". And Sky News made that their talking point as well.

So for Carragher and Richards in particular standing up for the Man Utd fans -- while being in the pay of Sky -- was significant.

Apparently Michael Owen and Owen Hargreaves, punditting on another feed, were pro-fans as well.
                                            I didn't watch, but according to a comment elsewhere:

the high point was Souness saying that the whole thing is the natural conclusion to the founding of the Premier League and decision to screw the rest of the pyramid back in 1992.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Yes, this has been simmering for years and was just looking for a trigger, which the ESL was. It's another example of American owners not having a fucking clue what they are destroying.
                                              They may know. They don’t care.

Comment

Or consider it a "necessary cost of doing business"

Comment

Souness acting like he didn't plant that flag in the pitch that time. Honestly.

The Sky presenter seemed to think that encroaching on OUR pitch at OUR ground is worse than the theft and stripping of a football club and the attempted destruction of the football league pyramid. Get a grip.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

I didn't watch, but according to a comment elsewhere:

the high point was Souness saying that the whole thing is the natural conclusion to the founding of the Premier League and decision to screw the rest of the pyramid back in 1992.
                                                    Yeah, I wasn't sure whether he was condemning or praising that evolution.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X