No announcement yet.

Bye Bye Jose (Again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed 100%. By time to go, I meant this season be his last, rather than just before the cup final. Especially as they seemed to approach the game in a similar way to how Mourinho would have, but with a novice head coach. Even if the players could no longer stomach him, surely they would have put that aside for a tilt at a cup? Levy did it with Graham before FAC semi in 2001, against the side he was perhaps best suited to devise a plan against. Both smack of worrying that a win would make it impossible to get rid of JM and GG (may have cost more too), but that seems very devious even for a top PL club chairman. Who knows? Still at least JM was spared hearing he'd been sacked mid game.

Comment

I think it'd have been the right time by the summer, yes.

Predictable that the guy finds himself another new gig before the season's even done.

Comment

FML, even with my slutty approach to following football teams, I have been able to avoid this idiot and now I hear on the Roma-Man Utd broadcast that Roma have hired him for next season. Good god. I much prefer the normal move of hiring Spalletti every few years, he gets them into the top 2 or 3 and then leaves because of some drama. But while he's there, the team is fun to watch. Couldn't Jose go to Russia?

Comment

Originally posted by Sixmartletsandaseagull View Post
          The esteem Mourinho is held in is still relatively high in Italy (along with Portugal) among the biggest European leagues and some still cling to the belief/consolation (rightly or wrongly - as Serie A clubs continue to struggle in European comps) that Italy is a more tactical league; therefore, he may still be able to pull some rabbits out of the hat. I think he may do relatively well and have Roma challenging for top 4 next season (many variables at Roma and elsewhere). I think there are a lot of good players at Roma, but he'll need to embrace the younger ones and esp Zaniolo (healthy return from another big injury permitting), which history says may not work out well.

I can see him feeding off the combustible environment at Roma, in the short term, at least, to make a good start and then we'll see. Or it just descends into calamity quite quickly...
          He's seen as a bit of a has been in Portugal and his arrogance has never gone down well. The never ending arrival of new coaching talent means previous big names are quickly forgotten and most of the country are currently swooning over Ruben Amorim, who should secure Sporting their first title in 18 years this weekend.

Comment

Plenty see him as a has been in Italy, too, but I think the general response has been more positive/less negative than it would have been had he turned up at another Premier League or La Liga club, say. He does retain some cache here. I just assumed Portugal. That's kinda sad for him.

Comment

To wit

https://twitter.com/jameshorncastle/status/1390586410046996484

Comment

Brilliant. He looks very cool there.

Comment

The Argentine press have been reporting that he was only offered the job after Roma approached Marcelo Gallardo and were told he didn't want to move anywhere before the end of his River contract (which runs to the end of the year). Always nice when a club appoint a manager based on a clearly thought-out style of play they want to see imposed, isn't it? (This is sarcasm. Gallardo's a bit of a tactical chameleon and isn't afraid to go defensive when he sees the need, but his preferred style all things being equal is very much not Mourinhoball.)

Comment

Those days "when a club appoint[ed] a manager based on a clearly thought-out style of play" seem to be long gone, sadly. The assumption seems to be Champions League qualification or the sack, no matter how beautifully the team plays.

Comment

Jose was as unpopular and doomed an appointment as Graham. we are in quite alot of a mess now.

the last 2 years has see the team and many of the players regress.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobachevsky View Post
                        Jose was as unpopular and doomed an appointment as Graham.
                        Probably a lot worse - at least Graham won a trophy.

Comment

The thing I can't understand about Jose is that he somehow shifted away from an it's us against the world, which is great way to unite a team. Instead, he now seems hellbent on dividing a dressing room. I don't watch Spurs closely enough to know why Jose had it in for Delle Alli but you have a bright young star and then Jose benches him, the team signs Bale and then Jose decides to use Bale as someone else to be a source for a fight within the locker room. He seemed to do the same thing during his second stint at Chelsea, at United and at Real. This is a view from the outside because I've been lucky enough until now to avoid him coaching a team I follow. I assume unless he has Roma in first place late into the season, he won't get into a second year. Roma is a coach killer since Capello left. Spalletti is the only one to last 3 seasons (I think). Most last one or two and are gone.

Comment

Dele Alli’s form had plummeted somewhat before Mourinho took over.

Comment

I keep willing Dele back to form but it does look like he peaked at 21.

I’m only renewing my season ticket as its the place I meet up regularly with my (now adult) children.

Comment

I remember Dele was scoring goals and seemed pivotal in the first weeks (months?) of Mourinho's time last season. He saw the opportunity to pass to Son rather than give the earlier and maybe easier ball to Kane for the goal yesterday. Is one problem where to play him? He had those hammy problems since WC2018. I like Dele, he's a moments or X factor player, and I hope the next manager/head coach gives him a go.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                  The thing I can't understand about Jose is that he somehow shifted away from an it's us against the world, which is great way to unite a team. Instead, he now seems hellbent on dividing a dressing room. I don't watch Spurs closely enough to know why Jose had it in for Delle Alli but you have a bright young star and then Jose benches him, the team signs Bale and then Jose decides to use Bale as someone else to be a source for a fight within the locker room. He seemed to do the same thing during his second stint at Chelsea, at United and at Real. This is a view from the outside because I've been lucky enough until now to avoid him coaching a team I follow. I assume unless he has Roma in first place late into the season, he won't get into a second year. Roma is a coach killer since Capello left. Spalletti is the only one to last 3 seasons (I think). Most last one or two and are gone.
                                  This isn't true though is it? He first act on arriving was boot crespo out for coming back late, he spent a lot of time complaining about having to deal with players like juan veron, and then he promptly set about shitting on glenn johnson and Joe Cole for being braindead like luke shaw, and limited and lazy like anthony martial. he did most of the stuff that he's done in other places, and in many ways he was far far worse, but because it was our first time seeing this, it was difficult to know what were the characteristic bits that would keep coming up again and again, and what was simply jose doing bullshit things for attention.

Comment

Working...
                                  X