Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuff Your Superleague.

Needs it's own thread really.

Even if we are all fulminating at it being a terrible idea.

Glad that initial response is strong.

I've got a t-shirt somewhere...

Comment

Well, both sides have had months to work on their "messaging"

Comment

Comment

They haven't really thought it through. We need more geographical spread between the franchise areas because only 7 cities are represented so far, There are areas of Europe that are crying out for a bit of benevolent stardust.
          Last edited by Kowalski; 18-04-2021, 16:36.

Comment

From the clubs' perspective, the real geographic concern is major television and "content" markets, which will be covered as soon as German and French clubs join.

Comment

Bayern Munich have said Nein.

Comment

Much more "not yet", as Rogin observed on the other thread

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                  Needs it's own thread really.

Even if we are all fulminating at it being a terrible idea.

Glad that initial response is strong.
                  It's a great idea,surely. We get rid and have some fun.

Comment

If the relevant clubs did fuck off forever that'd be great.

Comment

https://twitter.com/FinnHarpsFC/status/1383808652750905347

Comment

Is it just me or is there something laughable about the chief executive of the Premier League condemning the idea of a breakaway league?

Comment

It is a tough balance, isn't it? If there was a Super League, would that mean that domestic football would dip back from being on steroids and become something like what we have lost over time, or would it be a disaster?

Obviously the Premier League doesn't want someone stealing its lunch, but who cares about the Premier League's feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                            If the relevant clubs did fuck off forever that'd be great.
                            I think the calibre of the clubs involved in the Super-Duper League is so stratospheric that they, and only they, should be allowed to use the absolute cutting edge, blue chip technology that is VAR.

Off you fuck now, lads, and take your toys with you.

Is it any different from the usual posturing for concessions from UEFA though?
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-04-2021, 21:50.

Comment

Anyway, is it again just a bluff? As someone (here, I believe) pointed out last time, a more plausible aim for Liverpool and Man U is to have US-style best of seven play-offs for the BRCs etc.

Comment

It is perfectly possible that it is posturing by both sides in response to the latest impasse in the negotiations they have been conducting for years.

Though I am quite intrigued as to the response of the leagues' rights holders and commercial partners to the expulsion threat.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post

It's a great idea,surely. We get rid and have some fun.
                                  Have problem with this. Want to be measured against best however much NUFC been found lacking in this regard over 50 years of support. And for yourself those mid-late 90s seasons and mid noughties will have been fantastic. That we where we are not a result of a broken system and would put Boro in same. On proposals being brought to attention Leicester will be best team in English football but they doing fine under current system all things considered.

Comment

Something else occurred to me just now, this isn't just about UEFA and FIFA saying to clubs "well you're not playing in OUR league any more then", or indeed the (as yet unchallenged) assertion that they could prevent individual players from competing in World Cups*. What about officials? Aren't all officials UEFA or FIFA licensed, and paid by their leagues? If these clubs sod off, are they going to have to poach a load of them, too? And the VAR officials? Will no-one think of the VAR officials?

* NB If players went on single year contracts in the ESL like in the IPL in cricket that ended before each summer tournament, I think that could not be legally enforceable anyway, except by voluntary agreement between national managers not to pick them. Out of contract players have played at international tournaments before, I'm sure, under current rules.
                                    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 18-04-2021, 17:31.

Comment

I consider it rather telling that an otherwise belligerent statement uses "could" when talking about barring individuals from international tournaments

Comment

Utter shite. The lot of them can fuck off.

Comment

Celtic and Rangers must be sad. They always found a way to include themselves in these dumb ideas 20 years ago.

Comment

The Atlantic League will doubtless also be dusted off.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

Have problem with this. Want to be measured against best however much NUFC been found lacking in this regard over 50 years of support. And for yourself those mid-late 90s seasons and mid noughties will have been fantastic. That we where we are not a result of a broken system and would put Boro in same. On proposals being brought to attention Leicester will be best team in English football but they doing fine under current system all things considered.
                                              But the winners of the rump EPL would be the best, as they would be the best football team rather than the best Harlem Globetrotterball team.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                I consider it rather telling that an otherwise belligerent statement uses "could" when talking about barring individuals from international tournaments
                                                I can't offer a definitive legal opinion as I'm not a lawyer. What would you say?

Comment

It's posturing. It would make the World Cup like the Olympics.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X