No announcement yet.

Stuff Your Superleague.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UEFA begins disciplinary proceedings against Juve, Real and Barca for not recanting their superleague bullshit:

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...d-and-juventus

Whoops.

Comment

2 year ban? Please, please, please be true. I was literally cheering Juve on last weekend just so they would qualify and then get banned.

Comment

Of course if UEFA overplay their gambit, these three will go ahead and set the damned thing up, and the others will come back. The suspended fine hanging over each (€100m) is broadly equivalent to what Chelsea are planning to pay for Harry Kane, or Man United for Jadon Sancho.

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post
          The dude may be amazing and perspicacious and totally grounded in the fan experience. The issue is that they've neglected that he's also employed by Chelsea FC. They've clearly thought 'let's not include that he's on the payroll for a Premier League club' tells me that the government recognise it's a shit-awful list.
          It's just rubbish, isn't it?

The FSA told me off on twitter for calling them out on their silence about how poor the whole thing is. And stuck to their line that we should be happy because the report won't be written by the panel. It will, however, be written by the chair. Who is the Tory minister who approved the panel, right?

Load of bollocks.

Comment

Let the three go ahead and set it up. That would be funny.

Comment

Looks like a 20m quid fine for the Premier League 6, with the threat of similar and a 30 point deduction if they try it again. Pfft.

Comment

Terrible. They should be thrown out of the Champion's League for a year, minimum.

Comment

I assumed all along that they'd have to be dragged kicking and screaming to a regulator. It's all so obvious, isn't it? All that "we so sowwy" bullshit a few weeks ago, all that, "oh yes, we'll give you representation" (without any meaningful to change anything), and now they're fining them each the equivalent of half one match's TV money for trying to tear European football limb from limb for their own betterment. Fuck em all.

Comment

The six of em should either be banned from the FAC and LC for the 23yrs they signed up to the ESL. Or made to play every game away from home in both competitions for errrh 23yrs. It’d help the other clubs especially the not so super ones to get a few through the turnstiles. It still wouldn’t be a big enough punishment for the devious dishonest underhand back stabbing bastards.
                    I can see Masters stepping aside allowing the Saudis to take over the mags out of spite now.

Comment

UEFA have also suspended their proceedings, purportedly out of concern at their exposure for violations of the injunction issued by the Commercial Court in Madrid.

Comment

Juventus, Real Madrid and Barcelona have been admitted to next season's CL. Announcement seems to have been deliberately timed for during the Germany v France game, hoping to slip it under the radar.

Comment

ECJ rules in favour of UEFA and FIFA regarding competition law.

Comment

No it hasn't

The AG's opinion is non binding on the court and also more nuanced than several of the press reports

Comment

I mentioned this to the Spurs fan solicitor from the local in Sainsburys car park yesterday and he seems to think this is more of an opinion than a judgement and can be used to ask parties if they’re sure they want to go down this road.*

*Hes more than aware that he’s explaining this to a construction industry grunt. I’m also aware I may have misconstrued his meaning completely.

Comment

It isn't a judgement at all

Comment

No it isn't. The bastards will come again.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                    No it isn't. The bastards will come again.
                                    History tells us nothing else.

Comment

The next interesting date on this is January 18th, when Juventus shareholders vote on their new board of directors. I do wonder whether the Agnellis might take pause for thought over whether this is worth continuing to pursue, though I doubt it. If they had any sense about them, they'd take the last couple of weeks as an opportunity to clear the decks of this, but I did say 'if they had any sense about them', and I'm talking about Juventus, here.

Comment

Yeah, you've put your finger on the essential problem there.

Comment

what has happened with juventus? has anything come of these investigations into false accounting?

Comment

The entire board resigned.

You know better than to expect meaningful results from the Italian "justice system".

Comment

And we're back in the room....

European Super League: Uefa and Fifa rules banning breakaway league unlawful, says court - BBC Sport

European Super League: New proposal launched for European competition - BBC Sport

The company who backed the European Super League, A22, has launched a new proposal for men's and women's European competitions.

The proposal is a league system with 64 men's clubs across three leagues with participation based on sporting merit and no permanent members.

The women's competition would include 32 clubs across two leagues.

It comes after the European Court of Justice said banning clubs from joining a European Super League was unlawful.​

In the men's competition, the top tiers - the Star League and the Gold League - would each consist of 16 teams while the Blue League, the bottom tier, would consist of 32 clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                                The company who backed the European Super League, A22, has launched a new proposal for men's and women's European competitions.
                                                This is straight out of the Hundred playbook. Although the argument is probably weaker for football.

Comment

But it's much older than that, having been an aspiration of the big clubs since the 1980s. It builds on the EPL and CL rationales rather than being a break from them; the main difference being that UEFA doesn't control it.

My guess is that UEFA now has to reach an accommodation that accedes to all ESL demands but has their rubber stamp on it so is technically still in their domain.

Comment

Interestingly, one of the leading European sports lawyers suggests that, in practice, any new proposal is still likely to involve an accommodation with UEFA:

https://twitter.com/katpijetlovic/status/1737764197306449926

https://twitter.com/katpijetlovic/status/1737775518701719619

https://twitter.com/katpijetlovic/status/1737805151212044309

Comment

Working...
                                                    X