"We only had ten men!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We only had ten men!"

Has the rash of victories in the last couple of weeks from teams having had a man sent off been far more than the norm? Wigan and Blackburn over the last fortnight and Birmingham and Arsenal yesterday.

None of these sides lost a man late and clung on either, they all played with ten men for significant portions of the game and all ( I think) scored and took or increased their lead while at a numerical disadvantage.

Does it say something about how the Premiership now favours counter-attacking play to the extent that it sometimes negates much of the advantage of the extra man? Or is it just that there are a lot more mediocre sides that can't even exploit it?

"We only had ten men!"

Harry, one reason is that two of the results were against the shambolic rabble that is Bolton Wanderers. Championship here we come..

Comment

"We only had ten men!"

It's a phenomenon that's been known for quite a time.

We're two down, and the ball's in the enemy court. War is a psychological thing, Perkins, rather like a game of football. You know how in a game of football ten men often play better than eleven?

Yes, sir.

Perkins, we are asking you to be that one man. I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war. Get up in a crate, Perkins, pop over to Bremen, take a shufti, don't come back. Goodbye, Perkins. God, I wish I was going too.

Goodbye, sir - or is it - au revoir?

No, Perkins.

Comment

Working...
      X