Boycotting Social Media Due to Racism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boycotting Social Media Due to Racism

Swansea City have announced a 7 day social media boycott in response to the racist abuse of three of their players.

Whilst it's admirable this will only gain some positive publicity for the club for seeming to act, they ignored the anti BLM and players taking the knee protests by a handful by pretending not to know what it was.

In reality unless a handful of major clubs completely withdraw then little will change.

Agree completely. The big social media platforms are impervious to everything except bad PR, and it needs concerted and galvanised activity by all the country’s bigger clubs to generate any kind of relevant ‘movement’ that might hurt them enough to take notice.

Until then, expect young black men and women to be racially abused randomly without any hint of appropriate consequence for the perpetrators.

Comment

I see Rangers have joined Swansea. Glen Kamara was saying yesterday that he is getting daily racial abuse online, from Slavia Prague fans and others.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
        I see Rangers have joined Swansea. Glen Kamara was saying yesterday that he is getting daily racial abuse online, from Slavia Prague fans and others.
        They just tweeted about Prince Philip. Glad to see them taking anti racism seriously.

Apparently it was only the players and management team boycotting. The club was free to tweet at will. Seems odd, but there you go.
        Last edited by EIM; 09-04-2021, 12:27.

Comment

“I’m closing the bureau de change... for an hour.”

if a club is really serious about the corrosive effect of social media, boycott it for the season. A week is nothing

Comment

This has gathered enough momentum that even UEFA is joining in the boycott during this long weekend.

Is it just confined to English sport? It would be interesting to know what proportion of Twitter's weekend traffic is football-related.

Comment

I'd noticed this has moved on and spread quite widely. In fact I came on here to see if it was being discussed. STFC is encouraging fans to participate - I'd misunderstood and thought it was players, clubs and official bodies. I'm slightly conflicted because part of me says if people leave SM, it just leaves the internet clear for racists who will doubtless revel in the opportunity to post shite without being challenged or reported.

Is anyone thinking of joining? If so, which platforms? Is it just FB, Twitter and Insta? (Surely not the well-regulated OTF?)

Comment

Complete fucking oaf.

https://twitter.com/SkySports_Keith/status/1388063899677777921

Comment

The dog was probably trying to run away from him.

Comment

A very good conversation between Ian Wright & Alan Shearer

Comment

Working...
                    X