Gnat's chuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnat's chuff

This is the current state of the top of the Romanian second division. After 19 games each - ie next weekend - the top 6 will be sectioned off for a mini league to decide the promotion places. All 11 teams here have a shot of getting there, and none of them yet is sure to make it. Tonight, my local team Csikszereda (11th) play away at Targu Jiu (currently 3rd), which could make things slightly clearer - unless we win, in which case it will be even more ludicrously congested. Tomorrow night 2nd place U Craiova play at home to 4th place Farul Constanta (that will be Constanta's last game as there is a team which has dropped out through bankruptcy). Anyway, I'll keep you updated

Edit: Why won't this fucking picture show up?

Last edited by ad hoc; 22-03-2021, 07:37.

Comment

Picture looks all clear and extremely exciting from this end!

Comment

If your team does win tonight, they'll be up to 3rd. Is goal difference important, or head-to-head records?

Comment

I'm going to plump for Metaloglobus for promotion.

You have to love a team called Metaloglobus.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
            If your team does win tonight, they'll be up to 3rd. Is goal difference important, or head-to-head records?
            Goal difference - every team in the division has only played every other team once, so head to head wouldn't be fair

Comment

Romania's equivalent of Soccer Saturday would be an interesting programme. "We're going now to Metaloglobus where there's been a goal that affects ten other teams"

Comment

Are U Craiova 1948 the same team that reached the semis of the UEFA Cup in the 80s?

Comment

That's a question of debate. There are two clubs that claim that history

Comment

See also Steaua, the Bohemians clubs in Prague, the various claimants to Chemie Leipzig's history and other examples from Central Europe

Comment

If U Craiova 1948 go up, then we'll have the intriguing situation of them both being in the same division

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        See also Steaua, the Bohemians clubs in Prague, the various claimants to Chemie Leipzig's history and other examples from Central Europe
                        Aren't both clubs that claim to be CSKA Sofia in the same division too?

Comment

I hadn't realized that Csiki is your true location and had assumed you picked it for the ability to riff names on.

Comment

It is indeed where I am. Actually it would be more accurate to say i'm in Csik (there's an accent on that i), but Csiki means "from Csik" and also sounds basically like Cheeky, hence it's ubiquity in my various online teams (Cheeky bastards, Cheeky nurdles, Cheeky monkeys, etc etc)

Comment

I used to have a Hungarian friend whose surname was Csiki. She lived with her mum in Buda. Turning left out of their apartment block, you walked one minute down the street and had that incredible view across the Danube to the parliament building. We've lost touch sadly.

Totally irrelevant to the question of what happens at Targu Jiu this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                It is indeed where I am. Actually it would be more accurate to say i'm in Csik (there's an accent on that i), but Csiki means "from Csik" and also sounds basically like Cheeky, hence it's ubiquity in my various online teams (Cheeky bastards, Cheeky nurdles, Cheeky monkeys, etc etc)
                                Is this where "The Cheeky Girls" came from?

Comment

No, they're from Cluj (and they're Romanian not ethnically Hungarian)

Edit:just looked them up and it turns out their mum is Hungarian. But they're not from here

Comment

Not the first time there has been a tightly contested league in Romania

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/even.html

Comment

Just watched the first half from Targu Jiu. By god both teams have been awful. I've seen some bad football in this division this season but this takes the biscuit.

0-0 at half time

Comment

Finished 0-0 after a mysteriously disallowed Cs?kszereda goal in the 85th minute.

Targu Jiu go top for tonight on goals scored. Cs?kszereda go 9th

Comment

Given what lul means in Dutch, I'm throwing my sniggering weight behind outsiders Petrolul 52.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                            That's a question of debate. There are two clubs that claim that history
                                            SPLITTERS

Comment

So, tonight's game also finished in a goalless draw, leaving us with the following table going into the very last round. All games to be played at 11am local time on Saturday (teams 2-4 are not only level on points but on goal difference too)

Comment

No, I'm wrong, they must just have switched them to Sunday (they were still due to be played on Saturday morning last I looked). I've bolded the teams in the mix below

Comment

By my calculations a win will be enough for the Csiki guys. It'd guarantee them to finish above 3 of the teams currently above them. Farul, one of Metalglobus and Rapid, and one of Dunarea and Vitorul. And Cluj would have to go goal crazy to leapfrog them.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X