an apology, of sorts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

an apology, of sorts

Ok, he may be a sycophantic, hypocritical bully, but Sir Alex Ferguson knows how to put a football team together. He's helped greatly by having Rooney and Ronaldo, of course, but even so, watching the highlights of the Manchester United and Villa games, some of the stuff they played was out of this world. Just beautiful in its simplicity.

A lot of credit has to go, I think, to Carlos Queiroz. Again, in the past, I've been scathing about this cunt, but if what we're watching is the result of his coaching, you have to hold your hands up and give him credit. If he does decide to go to Benfica - and I don't think he will - Manchester United may struggle to replace him.

Actually, this isn't an apology of sorts at all, I still dislike the pair of them (though in actuality, my feelings for Ferguson veer from love to hate with alarming regularity) I'm just acknowledging that they're both pretty fucking good at what they do. Which makes this possibly the least insightful post in OTF's short history.

(I've taken Sky's approach to football and applied it to OTF. There was no OTF prior to the new board. All memories and history has been cleared as if from an etch-a-sketch)

an apology, of sorts

It's good to see Queiroz getting some credit. The fluid 433/451 was all his idea and it works beautifully with the right personnel. There was a lot of criticism when it was not working (with RvN in the team) but Ferguson clearly had faith in Queiroz ideas. He has been by far the most influential of the assistants that Ferguson has worked with - arguably more of a co-manager than an assistant.

Comment

an apology, of sorts

so Man Utd are now back as the best team in the Premier....maybe on a consistent basis for the first time since the late 20th century...

again though its going to take winning Europes premier trophy to convince they are no more than domestic bullies prospering under managerial stability and financial resources beyond the level of most...

Comment

an apology, of sorts

I saw an interesting stat from the MU accounts today on one of my many web trawls.

Money owed on players currently playing in 2006 was about £7million. The amount in 2007? £56.2 million. And another ten million or so could be added dependent on performance.

Comment

an apology, of sorts

so Man Utd are now back as the best team in the Premier....maybe on a consistent basis for the first time since the late 20th century...

you know if they win this title, they will have won 5 out of nine titles since the time-period you mentioned.

Money owed on players currently playing in 2006 was about £7million. The amount in 2007? £56.2 million. And another ten million or so could be added dependent on performance.

Yeah, that is rather worrying. Also doesn't take into account they haven't actually bought carlos tevez. I wonder where the £28 odd million they got in last summer went. I can see evans, fletcher, eagles, saha, silvestre and possibly park getting the boot this summer.

It's good to see Queiroz getting some credit. The fluid 433/451 was all his idea and it works beautifully with the right personnel. There was a lot of criticism when it was not working (with RvN in the team) but Ferguson clearly had faith in Queiroz ideas. He has been by far the most influential of the assistants that Ferguson has worked with - arguably more of a co-manager than an assistant.

hmm, Man utd's best performances this season have come playing 4-4-2, with Tevez and Rooney up front. (if you can call it that) Also the major influences on the way that man utd play aren't tactically based, but based on a couple of key players.

Whatever tactical formation man utd put out, the most important elements of it are the two best centre-halves in europe, a left back who thinks he's a super hero, and a right winger who actually is. for most of the season, it hasn't mattered what team man utd have put out, ronaldo has scored the winning goal.

Even this season when Rooney has broken his foot twice, scholes has been missing for three months, Neville has been missing for a year, and hargreaves is in and out trying to nurse his tendonitis, it hasn't seemed to matter.

Comment

Working...
          X