No announcement yet.

If England Had Qualified For The 1974 and 1978 World Cups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All this 'who wins what' stuff is all well and good.

What I want to know though, is under these various scenarios do France still get to wear green and white stripes?

Comment

Hah! I was too slow.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
        I think the thing I like about G-Man's alternative-reality 1978 tournament is that we still get a France-Hungary game, which means we still get this:

Ah, yes - 'jerseygate'. The resultant delay of almost 45 minutes meant that we only saw the first half live in the UK - the BBC then handing over to a royal edition of The Good Life. Thankfully, all the goals - among which were a couple of beauties - were scored before half time.

Comment

Can't believe adidas and nike between them have never come up with a green and white striped change kit for france in tribute to that game

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post

Was there no option to use the Arms Park for a game of that magnitude. I'm guessing the WRU and the FAW didn't get on back then.
            The Arms Park didn't have floodlights until the '80s.

Comment

I went to the Arms Park in about 1984 for a match (It was when the Wallabies were touring) and at lunchtime I and a group of other kids went on a tour of the stadium while, as I realise now, our Dads were getting stuck into pints in the hospitality bar. Anyway, I remember asking the groundsman (who had showed us round the pitch) why Ian Rush and the Welsh football team didn't play there. After giving me a look that rivalled Mr Bronson on Grange Hill about to wield a cane, he said firstly that the posts for the rugby goals were sunk about 20 feet down in cement, and secondly he himself would be long dead in the ground before he allowed "soccer" on his pitch. I wonder if he's still around.
              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 24-02-2021, 17:42.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post

Satch, Scotland’s game against Holland wasn’t a dead rubber. Scotland needed to win by three goals and at one time were 3-1 up. Then Johnny Rep scored a belter of a goal and that was game over. The damage was done in the shambolic games against Peru and Iran (although it could have been so different had Don Masson not missed a penalty v Peru).

in 1974, the over cautious approach v Zaire cost Scotland dear and their 2-0 win was bettered by Brazil’s 3-0 win v Zaire. Scotland also should have beaten Brazil (I can’t believe I just typed that). That was the first of Scotland’s many World Cup “if only’s”
                Apologies. I was assuming Italy would beat Peru but had forgotten that the Dutch only drew with Peru so would still have needed something from the Italy game (which could actually have been a West Germany-Austria style stitch up because Peru were going to get enough goals against Iran to overtake Holland's GD so Holland would have wanted a draw to get to 4 points ahead of Peru's 3).

Comment

Italy weren’t in that group.

Comment

It's an alternative scenario where Italy took Scotland's qualifying path, enabling both England and Italy to be at the finals. England in Group 1, Italy Group 4.
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-02-2021, 07:06.

Comment

I see.

I think that might be a bridge too far for me.

Comment

No worries.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          It's an alternative scenario where Italy took Scotland's qualifying path, enabling both England and Italy to be at the finals. England in Group 1, Italy Group 4.
                          Satch, taking away Scotland’s qualification is very harsh. It is denying us the right to make a real bollocks of things, which we used to do on a regular basis, back in the days of course when we actually qualified for World Cups.ah, those were the days.

Comment

Working...
                          X