Commenator big-clubitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commenator big-clubitis

A thread for particularly egregious examples of commentators being unable to get their heads round the relevance of clubs outside the big 6 (or big 5 or whatever the currently fashionable clique size is).

The main match commentator on Radio 5 Live today, at the end of Man City's win at the Emirates: "They now have a 13 point lead [brief pause as the presence of minnows makes an irritating intrusion into his memory/calculations]....... over Manchester United at least."

No, you fucking tool, they have a 10 point lead over Leicester (and, depending on the upcoming match, possibly also over Man U).

Over "United", surely, as the wankers are now talking about their match against "Newcastle"

Comment

Over here in Ireland, every comment about last year's title race talk about Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk, and how the latter finished 23 points behind the former, and will be out to close the gap. Nobody mentions that they also finished 13 points behind Bohemians as well.

Comment

I don't know who I heard say it on one of the pundit shows this morning but someone said it would be a "disaster" for Klopp if Liverpool finished eighth this season.

We finished eighth in his first season at the club. Five years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
          I don't know who I heard say it on one of the pundit shows this morning but someone said it would be a "disaster" for Klopp if Liverpool finished eighth this season.

Yeah, but a fair bit has happened since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
            A thread for particularly egregious examples of commentators being unable to get their heads round the relevance of clubs outside the big 6 (or big 5 or whatever the currently fashionable clique size is).

The main match commentator on Radio 5 Live today, at the end of Man City's win at the Emirates: "They now have a 13 point lead [brief pause as the presence of minnows makes an irritating intrusion into his memory/calculations]....... over Manchester United at least."

No, you fucking tool, they have a 10 point lead over Leicester (and, depending on the upcoming match, possibly also over Man U).
            Savage is very pro Leicester, so this is an odd accusation to level at him.

Comment

And spend half a billion quid on players in the interim.

Not getting into Europe would be a disaster as you would expect to lose a good number of better players. Unless you think Liverpool are headed into a rebuild phase it would be a rather unplanned-for problem.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

And spend half a billion quid on players in the interim.
                I'd love to see you justify that, netting off the sales of Sakho and Benteke and in particular Coutinho. I make it around a tenth of a billion, or "a Paul Pogba". But carry on.
                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 21-02-2021, 19:23.

Comment

I'd love to see you justify that, netting off the sales of Suarez and Coutinho. But carry on.
                  That would be why the word spend was there, rather than net expenditure. Anyway, clearly the best solution is for Liverpool to finish eighth and then we can see whether it is a disaster or not.

Comment

They still spent half a billion*. If I spend 5000 euros on a car and I sell my old one for 3000, the car still cost me 5000.

(*note I have no idea if they did spend this much)

Comment

I'd love to see you justify that, netting off the sales of Sakho and Benteke and in particular Coutinho. I make it around a tenth of a billion, or "a Paul Pogba". But carry on.
                      Didn't Liverpool make a loss on Benteke?

Comment

They did.
                        Villa made quite a big profit though

Comment

"Net spend" was the beginning of the end for Benitez, wasn't it?

Comment

I'm bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher
                            I'm the one and only commenator

(sorry)

Comment

Savage is very pro Leicester, so this is an odd accusation to level at him.
                              I don't think it was Robbie Savage. Didn't sound like him. Isn't he more of a pundit/caller host than an actual main match commentator?

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                I'm bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher
                                I'm the one and only commenator

(sorry)
                                I can't help but read that misspelt header in an Australian accent.

Comment

I don't think it was Robbie Savage. Didn't sound like him. Isn't he more of a pundit/caller host than an actual main match commentator?
                                  It most definitely wasn't Savage commenating. I had it on while prepping tea. I think Karen Carney was the co-commenator.

Comment

I think that when Burnley beat Man United at Old Trafford last year, the co-commentator and both studio pundits were all ex-Man United. That probably happens a fair bit with Liverpool games as well.

Comment

That's really weird. I completely misread your post. Apologies.

Comment

Think yourselves lucky - when I got back to the car after my walk and wanted a score update, 5live referred to 'the Rangers game'. No wonder they won 4-1, no opposition.

Comment

Working...
                                        X