Nutmeg and football’s nice stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nutmeg and football’s nice stuff

I had been meaning to take a look at Nutmeg, the Scottish football periodical so sent for edition 18 as a sample which landed yesterday. It’s clearly based on The Blizzard template, well written and engaging long form pieces and gorgeous, evocative photography all lovingly and tastefully put together. It’s clearly the image of the game as seen through the prism of editor Daniel Gray - an unapologetic chronicler of the game’s more aesthetically pleasing elements without ever being cloyingly sentimental. It’s altogether wonderful, it even, curiously smells great. It cost a tenner an edition to order by post but an ongoing 3 back copies for the price of 2 offer which I will definitely now be taking up. There is a cheaper online only version but that would very much be missing the point with Nutmeg - this is a tactile experience, the whole thing a joy just to pick up and either read with purpose or just browse.

Got the 2 for 3 offer a month or so ago, agree entirely, beautiful thing.

Going to get another 3, think No' 18's now part of the offer and sure there's a Harry Pearson article which will help me with my cold turkey after the excellent The Farther Corner.

Comment

They did a photo special just before Christmas, which is gorgeous. Looks like it's sold out everywhere now, sadly.

https://www.nutmegmagazine.co.uk/product/snapshot/

Comment

That's a great book.

Comment

Originally posted by Forest Gump View Post
          They did a photo special just before Christmas, which is gorgeous. Looks like it's sold out everywhere now, sadly.

https://www.nutmegmagazine.co.uk/product/snapshot/

Doesn’t it just want you to go out (eventually) and create your own photographic document of the game? That’s how I feel anyway.

I think due to current circumstances Nutmeg had a greater impact on me than normal. I have an increased tendency to reach out for the comfortably engaging - Tom Hanks movies, The Farther Corner, Grand Designs - rather than more obviously edgy or challenging stuff, so it was perfect in that respect.

It certainly makes me pine for going to a game too.

Comment

I've not actually read Snapshot yet, for just that reason. It'll make me pine for football too much!

Same applies to Mike Bayly's British Football's Greatest Grounds and a few books from Stuart Roy Clark I've got on the shelf. It doesn't seem right to be looking at pictures of grounds full of crowds.

Comment

I'm exactly the same with my copy of Snapshot and a few other football/sports books I got for Xmas or my December birthday. I don't want to torture myself with how things should be right now, Cold War spy thrillers are far more fitting for the situation we're in.

There is a thread inspired by Snapshot here, btw.

Comment

I have a couple of Daniel Gray’s books, the photographer is excellent as well.

Nutmeg is pretty good, I find it a bit more fun than The Blizzard. The podcast I wasn’t aware of until today, I was very surprised to hear my cousin talking about Dundee United on a recent episode.

Comment

Agreed, I think Nutmeg is a little more light hearted than The Blizzard.

Comment

That Snapshot thread just sent me down a wormhole, missed it at the time.

Comment

Iain McLean has advertised his most recent photo journal about Albion Rovers FC in the back of the last couple issues of WSC. I ordered that and a copy of his 2015 journal about the same club. Both are really nice. Both are smaller in size than Snapshot and have less text (typical forward and then an introduction). If you like football photography that focuses less on players and game action and more on the fan experience, I really recommend McLean's two journals:

https://www.iainmclean.com/-/galleri...nmcleancomcart

Comment

Just been on Alan McCredie’s website and got lost again. Not football, but just look at this:

Comment

Ah, Glennfinnan

Might even be the Jacobite

Comment

Working...
                          X