No announcement yet.

Hottest, Coldest or Wettest You've Been At A Match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hottest: I remember watching a Santos Cape Town vs Kaizer Chiefs, and it was pretty hot. But, I really don't remember whether it was the hottest.

Coldest: Must have been watching Phonix Lubeck in the old third or fourth tier in the 1970s. I remember standing in snow, but not when or against whom. Italy vs Paraguay in the 2010 World Cup was nasty cold.

Wettest: That one I know. Leverkusen vs Schalke, 1984. It rained non-stop. I stood with the Schalke fans, and it was all rather good fun as Leverkusen threw away a 2-0 lead to draw 2-2.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post

Have I just been whooshed or has GO got an extensive ignore list? (I'm suspecting the former.)
      Rubbish reading on my part. Apologies all.

Comment

I got soaked at Hearts v Hamilton last February. Turns out my waterproof wasn't waterproof and my programme got soggy, which infuriated me. I did get to see the pandas at the zoo again as well, but they were inside their dry new enclosure as the zoo closed early due to the weather.

Comment

Hottest? I can remember being quite warm at an end of season game at Gillingham and that's about it.

Coldest Would be an FA cup 3rd round tie at home to Liverpool with a midday kick off. Bloody perishing. I couldnt feel my feet at kick off but that might have been due to the cramped seats in the 'Douglas Bader stand at Burnden park.

Wettest - Stood on an open terrace watching us in a pre season friendly at Inverness Caledonian. It tipped it down from start to finish and since it had been dry and warm all day, I was totally under dressed. There was a queue for the hand dryer in the pub after the game with folk sitting under it.

Comment

If we're chucking in most hungover as well, I think mine probably has to be Hibs v Aberdeen in August 2007. It was my sister's birthday the day before and we'd been hammering tequila and all sorts at a lock-in at the Mexican bar where she had a part-time job at the time until at least 6am. The only reason I made the match was the Aberdeen fans waking me up with their singing as they walked past my flat at about 2.45pm. I lay for 5–10 minutes weighing up whether I was even physically capable of movement, but then with an intense effort I hauled myself out of bed, showered, and shuffled round the corner to the ground, hearing the cheer for the Dons' first goal (which turned out to be the second goal of the game, which eventually finished 3-3), which I see from reports was scored on 18 minutes, as I was coming through the turnstiles. Had the visitors been a team with a smaller/quieter away following, it's highly likely I would have just slept on and missed the whole thing.

Comment

hottest-lechia Gdansk-gornik zabrze in august 2017,i never even thought to consider the sunshine when i bought my fantastically priced seat near the half way line.the sun was brutal
              wettest-despite being scottish,poland again,Garbarnia krakow-korona kielce II in 2015.biblical days long downpour and a relatively long walk to the ground which was totally open
              coldest-again,being scottish theres probably too many to remember.in fact,frozens almost the default.a lowlight has to be a midweek clyde game at firhill in the late 80s,i remember my pal biting into his pie,the grease pouring out of it and immediately congealing due to the cold on the crash barrier we were leaning on

Comment

Hottest - England V Tunisia - World Cup - Stade Velodrome, Marseilles (15/06/98) - A game chiefly notable for the carnage on the streets before the game. I was on my own and walking towards the Stade Velodrome, with a Flag of St. George draped over my shoulders, trying to avoid the fights, tear gas and police snatch squads. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I eventually made it into the stadium unscathed and then proceeded to get burnt to a crisp. Mind you, it could have been worse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_W...up_terror_plot

Coldest - Chelsea V Liverpool - Premier League - Stamford Bridge (01/01/97) - My girlfriend and I had spent NYE at a friend's place and then headed to the game the next day. Nothing about the game really screamed exceptionally cold but when I mentioned the game to said friend, who's also a Chelsea fan and came to the game with us, he said it was the coldest one he could recall without being prompted to do so. A special mention should go to Brazil V Russia (25/03/13), also at the Bridge. I sat in my seat in my overcoat, putting on a second pair of socks as a scantily-attired Brazilian dance troupe entertained us. It was worthy of a photograph.

Wettest - Crystal Palace V Chelsea - League Cup QF - Selhurst Park (06/01/93) - It was lashing down as I walked to the ground and I was hoping that the match wouldn't be called off. Pity it wasn't. On the pitch, the weather did for Chelsea. A Frank Sinclair back pass got stuck in the mud and a Palace player nipped in to score while a John Spencer shot that was going in also got held up, allowing a Palace defender to clear. Off the pitch, getting soaking wet, the bloke behind me kept on nicking my hat and generally arseing around. At half-time he told his mate that he was going to climb one of the floodlights. Yes, yes, yes. Do it and kill yourself in the process, I thought to myself, slightly uncharitably. We lost 3-1.

Most hungover - Erm, never, at least not that I can recall. I very rarely have hangovers, usually because if I've been drinking I either sober myself up before going to bed or just upchuck if I've drunk to much. And I've barely even been drunk at a game, though Man. City away (the fans' group I was with laid a floral tribute in front of the Kippax which was due to be demolished after the game; Robert Fleck* scored one of his three goals for the club in the game, in off his arse (they all count); we were all so pissed that the terrace flag was upside down) and the 2002 FAC Final (mercifully) were notable, hazy exceptions.

* Now a teaching assistant at a school for children with complex needs
                Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 17-02-2021, 14:58.

Comment

Coldest: three of us went to a Newcastle v York FA Cup replay in, I think, the 1978/79 season. Two of us bunked off to the bar after about 20 minutes and got pissed out of our heads on whisky. The third, fortunately the driver, watched for all 90 minutes and thoroughly unenjoyed himself. The abuse we got in the car on the drive back to Newcastle went completely over our sozzled heads. Newcastle won, I believe, but I only have that from hearsay.

Wettest: Stalybridge Celtic versus Marine, Boxing Day sometime in the mid-70s. 90 minutes' downpour plus extra time. The weather gods won.

Hottest: Erzurum versus Trabzon Spor. We joined in with the home team's chanting and I was tapped on tbe back and told it was unislamic for my girlfriend to be chanting that the opposing goalie was gay. 95th minute penalty for the home tea sealed victory. The chanting stepped up several islamic octaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                    Most hungover - Erm, never, at least not that I can recall. I very rarely have hangovers, usually because if I've been drinking I either sober myself up before going to bed or just upchuck if I've drunk to much.
                    I was also thinking that I've rarely had a hangover of any note at a match, usually because I'm driving and therefore haven't got twatted the night before. I suppose I must've had a few rough days when I was younger and less sensible, but I don't recall any where it was bad enough that I still remember it now.

When I lived in West Cumbria I do remember one of my mates from college coming up to stay at ours, drinking Friday night in the village pub (inc. lock-in) and then we'd got him a ticket for Carlisle v Liverpool in the 3rd round of the cup the next day (this was 1989). For once I wasn't driving (I think whatever ?50 rustbucket I had at the time had just died a smoky death), and one of the lads drove us to Carlisle in his Mam's Mini countryman. We took the scenic shortcut over Cold Fell (single track, very jiggly and swoopy - especially in a 1970s mini) and by the time we got to Ennerdale my mate was hunting for a carrier bag to spew his ring into. Unfortunately he chose a bag with holes in, so the car was hastily slid onto the verge and he was tipped out with his leaky bag of vom while we cleaned the car out. Progress was a bit slower after that.

Comment

Hottest - I think it says a lot about Scotland as a country that there isn’t any that stick out as being especially warm but I remember that when Thistle used to train at Glasgow Uni’s sports facility, they used to play their pre-season friendlies at one of the public pitches, so I always loved sitting on the grass in the blazing June/July heat watching my team play mere yards in front of me.

Coldest - Arbroath in January was an experience. The closest ground in Europe to the sea. 30 mph winds and a cold that chilled you to the bone. It was so cold that when we got back to the pub in Glasgow, it felt like I was having a pint in Florida.

Wettest - Once went to a Juniors game at Shettleston but was already soaked to the bone by the time I got in so I’ll nominate the time I went to Rhu AFC on the Argyll coast. Immediately started pishing down at the first whistle and did not stop the whole game. Luckily the club chairman was on hand with a slew of golf umbrellas for the hardy punters and he even organised a lift back to Helensburgh from the man of the match striker. A lovely club.

Comment

Coldest was at the away end on a Saturday afternoon in January at Craven Cottage. The mist was rolling in from the Thames, and by the end of the end of the first half I couldn't feel my feet anymore...As the afternoon and the game wore the cold crept up my body...then to top it all, Fulham scored a last minute equaliser, so i didn't even have the three points to keep me warm on the way home. Took me days to thaw out...but having just read Villano XIV's visit to Arbroath, it just makes me sound like a Southern softie!

Comment

Working...
                        X