Couch potatoes go again - weekend TV watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couch potatoes go again - weekend TV watching

Manchester derby in the WSL ends in a 3-0 win to City. Which puts City above United for just about the first time this season. Top three is now Chelsea, 35 pts from 14 games, Man City 33 from 14, Man United 32 from 15. Everyone else way back and out of it.

Goal of the game was the third, scored by Caroline Weir. Not much competition to be fair, as the first two were scrappy. This wasn’t: she did a drag-back to buy herself some space at the edge of the box, then quite deliberately pulled off one of those back-spun chips where a player kicks down on the back of the ball to go over Mary Earps (who was well positioned) and into the far top corner.

well as long as no-one racially abuses lauren James, or whatever black player is considered to be responsible for the defeat it will be grand

Comment

I'm going to watch the match again tomorrow. I'm intrigued to see if we can continue the improvement we saw last week.

It's still an empty and soulless experience. But with some interest.

We're at home to Rochdale. Who are pretty poor, but, you know, so are we.

Comment

As has been remarked, black players are conspicuous by their rarity in the WSL. It’s Lauren James or, er... and James is out injured at the moment. Though I see that didn’t stop her getting abused last weekend, when an all-white Man United team also lost.
        James being out is a lot of the problem that Man United Women have had recently (they have now lost three of the last five, after being unbeaten for the first ten).

Comment

I watched the second half of Queen of the South v Hearts on BBC Scotland last night. It was a game of two penalties with QoS taking the lead just before half-time and Hearts equalising in the last minute. This was a bit hard on the Doonhamers who looked the better side for much of the game (or what I saw at least). Interest for Boro fans with ex-players Allan Johnston and Andy Halliday the QoS manager and Hearts player respectively, and Isaiah Jones, currently on loan from Middlesbrough, turning out for Queen of the South.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
            As has been remarked, black players are conspicuous by their rarity in the WSL. It’s Lauren James or, er... and James is out injured at the moment. Though I see that didn’t stop her getting abused last weekend, when an all-white Man United team also lost.
            James being out is a lot of the problem that Man United Women have had recently (they have now lost three of the last five, after being unbeaten for the first ten).
            If you want excitement, it's the man utd u-23's you want to follow. P 15 W7 D3 L5 F42 A 39 Pts 24.

Comment

Just turned Leicester v Liverpool on, is this the normal camera angle at the ground?

It seems very low and shallow, almost as bad as the usual one from Fratton Park.

Comment

Dammit!

[what a goal, though.

Dammit]

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                  Just turned Leicester v Liverpool on, is this the normal camera angle at the ground?

It seems very low and shallow, almost as bad as the usual one from Fratton Park.
                  It looks like the usual one to me. Changing it wouldn’t be easy, the main camera position is a permanent installation at the back of the stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                    Manchester derby in the WSL ends in a 3-0 win to City. Which puts City above United for just about the first time this season. Top three is now Chelsea, 35 pts from 14 games, Man City 33 from 14, Man United 32 from 15. Everyone else way back and out of it.

Goal of the game was the third, scored by Caroline Weir. Not much competition to be fair, as the first two were scrappy. This wasn’t: she did a drag-back to buy herself some space at the edge of the box, then quite deliberately pulled off one of those back-spun chips where a player kicks down on the back of the ball to go over Mary Earps (who was well positioned) and into the far top corner.
                    It was an exceptional goal,

Comment

Oh crikey

Comment

Vardy very nearly passed that utter gift up with a dodgy first touch.

Comment

Talk about seeing two sides of a keeper within minutes from Allison!

Comment

That should have been 3-1. Hope we don’t pay for that. Vardy very casual there.

Comment

The good and the bad of Alisson in the space of about 3 minutes there.

Comment

Probably won’t matter now. Phew.

Comment

I did the right thing just coming in at the 60 minute mark of this match.

Comment

Bloody hell - Liverpool have seriously hit the skids.

Comment

Weird old game this one. Liverpool seem to run out of gas 30 minutes into each half, or was it Leicester upping it? Either way Leicester were suddenly getting in behind repeatedly. Same happened in the first as well, if you recall. Vardy just missed those three chances.

Comment

Are Liverpool going to miss the top 4 this season, then?

Comment

You seem excessively critical of Vardy?

Comment

I would blame Alisson rather than the newbie defender for the key second goal. Yes it was a searching diagonal pass by Tielemans, and Liverpool were caught out two-o-two back there. But the defender was under the ball and had the situation under control - there was no reason whatsoever for the goalie to charge 30 yards off his line to ‘help’.

Comment

My BT box decided to close down just as a free-kick on the edge of the area for Leicester was about to be taken. Did I miss owt?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                You seem excessively critical of Vardy?
                                                Part of being an exceptional centre-forward is putting yourself in good positions repeatedly. With dead-eyed finishing he would have had five today (if the crossbar one was onside, which is unclear). He had that many genuinely clear cut chances. But he scored once, and that is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                  My BT box decided to close down just as a free-kick on the edge of the area for Leicester was about to be taken. Did I miss owt?
                                                  Nah, not really.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X