Midweek TV (Cup) watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midweek TV (Cup) watching

Doesn’t seem to be a thread for this yet, so...

Its very rare to see someone do something both creative and essentially new. But Philip Biling of Bournemouth managed it tonight. It was similar to a chest pass - except not off the midriff but (entirely deliberately) played with the middle of his back. And it was productive too as it found his strike partner in a very dangerous position, which forced a Burnley defender to challenge from a location where a clean tackle was deeply unlikely, resulting in a penalty. That was converted as the second in a 2-0 win for the Cherries.

I wonder how many times previously Bournemouth have been in an FA Cup QF? Can’t have been many.

I think this is the first time - IIRC the commentary mentioned they go this far as Bournemouth and Boscombe in the late 60s.

Comment

I'm watching the "stand out tie of the round" according to the telly blurb.

Comment

Hmm. If that is so, it’s a indictment isn’t it?

Comment

Not often you see someone body checked while taking a throw in.

Comment

Old Mark Noble...way behind the pace for some years now. Have I mentioned that I used to play football with his dad, Mark?...

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
              Doesn’t seem to be a thread for this yet, so...

Its very rare to see someone do something both creative and essentially new. But Philip Biling of Bournemouth managed it tonight. It was similar to a chest pass - except not off the midriff but (entirely deliberately) played with the middle of his back. And it was productive too as it found his strike partner in a very dangerous position, which forced a Burnley defender to challenge from a location where a clean tackle was deeply unlikely, resulting in a penalty. That was converted as the second in a 2-0 win for the Cherries.

I wonder how many times previously Bournemouth have been in an FA Cup QF? Can’t have been many.
              This will be Bournemouth's second appearance in the FA Cup quarter finals. Their only other appearance at this stage was in 1957, when they lost 2-1 at home to Manchester United (incidentally the only one of that season's quarter finals not to go to a replay).

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                I think this is the first time - IIRC the commentary mentioned they go this far as Bournemouth and Boscombe in the late 60s.
                Just had a quick look, and from what I could see the other time they got to quarter finals was 1957.

Comment

Beaten to it.

Burnley were terrible.

Jonathan Woodgate looks like he might have been at the Just For Men.
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Did they have to film the half-time interview segment with Kayode Odejayi sitting outside in the snow?

Comment

To this day I will never understand how we managed to get ?200k for Kayode.

This was a guy who got a new contract thanks to a warm round of applause he got when being substituted in what we assumed would be his last game.

Comment

Based on this game I can't see Van Der Baek becoming a Man United legend, and I can see why Ole hasn't been playing him.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                          Beaten to it.

Burnley were terrible.

Jonathan Woodgate looks like he might have been at the Just For Men.
                          ​​​​​​
                          I tweeted out that once, just bloody once, I'd like us to go out of the Cup with a fight instead of the pattern established for the last seven years of a bunch of not quite first teamers putting in a half arsed performance.

We have gone out to a lower division side 9 times in Cup competitions in the past seven years.

Comment

Mrs Brown's Boys has been postponed due to 30 more minutes of this tepid football, I suppose that's something.

Comment

Tidy finish by McTominay that.

Comment

It can't be long before extra time is the next Cup tradition that gets dumped to stop clubs being too tired for their next league games.

Comment

Extra time is a bit weird though. It's often a case of "Alright lads, you've been dogshit for 90 minutes... let's carry on."

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                    Extra time is a bit weird though. It's often a case of "Alright lads, you've been dogshit for 90 minutes... let's carry on."
                                    Yeah, ref should get to choose whether he wants to officiate 30 more minutes of shite. Basically, just send 0-0s straight to pens.

Comment

I'd just go for 5 minutes extra time per goal. Finishes 2-2 and that's 20 minutes extra time. Finishes 0-0 straight to penalties.

Comment

Never understood why sudden death (or the golden goal) hasn't replaced the tradition of always having to play the entire 30+ minutes of extra time.

Comment

Golden Goal didn't really work because teams suddenly became very afraid of giving away a goal so extra time became ultra defensive.

Next Goal + 5 mins could work. If you score, the opposition get to kick off and then have five minutes to score an equaliser. If the side who are leading score a second goal then it's game over.

Comment

Because when they did do golden goal, teams became even more scared to attack as one error meant immediate, irrecoverable defeat. In a golden goal game McTomminay would have been being yelled at to hold (and West Ham wouldn’t have committed as many forward in the preceding attack, either). Goals are just too rare for it to work in Football.

Comment

I guess that makes sense. Don't see too many of those balls out 1982 1-1 (3-3 AET) West Germany/France semi finals these days.

Comment

One player removed every five minutes in ET; first goal wins it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                  One player removed every five minutes in ET; first goal wins it.
                                                  The opposing managers pick the players removed. Goalies are exempt.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X